Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Glad we have rules

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61SuperMonza, Mar 25, 2021.

1. upspirate

upspirate

SuperMonza, out of curiosity, what is the O/T car in question? Just a casual mention is fine. just
    no details or pics!

2. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

The car isn't OT, the exchange I had was on another site.
    Anyway, it's a 62 Corvair 700. The trim level is rare and if it's a wagon it's very cool. I will let you know if it's a coupe, sedan or wagon when I get more details.

upspirate and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I came for the donuts...

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

I never understand the animosity you guys have for anyone asking a value here, new member or not. We live in a capitalist society, for now anyway, and any of you that will tell me you never made a buck selling cars or parts are f'n liars. If the new member asks here, it seems to me they have been lurkers, and respect the knowledge this forum has to offer, so what better place to ask? I agree with many posts that attitude plays a factor, but some of us are writers, and some of us are not. On the net, not face to face, things can get misunderstood quickly, and unintended results happen fast. LOL, I bought a early model T coupe body at an auction 10 years ago for 5 bucks, sold it last week at chickasha for 500. guess i am a bad guy

5. spanners

spanners

I hope that house was built pre 1965?

Bob Lowry, 32SEDAN and hotrodjack33 like this.
  6. rusty valley

rusty valley

I gotta add, if you want advice on your retirement account, you gonna ask the check out girl at home depot, or a real money man? for car advice, i'd ask the hamb

dan31, Just Gary, The37Kid and 3 others like this.
  7. grumpy65

grumpy65

Hard question without more info. Is the checkout girl at Home Depoy hot ???.......:rolleyes:
    By the way, I agree with what you said.

joel, 49ratfink, hotrodjack33 and 2 others like this.
  8. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

Wait a minute! I think I fuck up big time. Gave grandson old truck for graduation. Was I supposed to wait until I’m DEAD!!!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But its USA made and hopefully with none of those new off shore appliances. Just an old Maytag wringer washer and a clothes line?

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

The CABE is a awesome place. Learned a lot there.

49ratfink likes this.
  11. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

I like to answer post from new "members" asking - What year does this fit, What's it's value.... I don't always give correct answers, somethin' fer nuthin' :D

12. chopped

chopped

Guy had a car question, asked it at a car site. Seems reasonable to me.

13. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

"Much ado about nothing" Seems I heard that somewhere........;)

Hnstray, Oldb and 49ratfink like this.
  14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the looks of it, probably pre 1865;)

15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cashiers at my local Home Depot are a bunch of "Grandma's"...oh, I mean women my age:(

16. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

@hotrodjack33,
    Looking at your profile, women your age are hot young stuff to me. I'd like to find one like that that owns a chrome shop.

17. Budget36

Budget36

Funny what life does to you, I grew up saying “thank you mamm/sir” now I get the “thank you sir”, and I do the “Thank you young man/lady”.

Them retirement age complexes are starting to make sense now;)

18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL. The ONLY advantage to getting older is it has expanded my range of interest...now women from 18 to 70 look good to me:D

19. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

Like 49 said ..... let them post,,, help them with info and you just may spark some interest in keeping or finding out more about old cars ,,, once they find out what the vin ID model is they may use the search function and find some cool examples and think twice about old cars
    It’s just the internet , not the end of civilization
    I travel 70 miles each way to work each day and tend to stop and help anyone I see broken down, it’s good PR for hot rods and old car enthusiast s to help people on the road,I see the catchphrase “ hotrod hoodlums” dropped on here a lot.... in my book hoodlums don’t follow rules

harpo1313 and rusty valley like this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I have no problems with helping others with questions and getting dirty and turning some wrenches and I would have given this individual the info he was asking for.
    I let the fact that this was a grandfather's last gift to a grand kid and this person says he didn't think he would keep it. My grand parents have been gone along time now so it struck a chord with me.
    I was given grandpa's wood working tools and box that he made for them and I wouldn't let them go for anything. I use those tools and I am reminded of how great he was every time I use them.
    This is the reason I said what i said.
    We all react to situations based on our upbringing and I would never get rid of something that was clearly loved by a family member.
    I felt that I should clarify my reasons.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  22. grumpy65

grumpy65

Not everyone had/has a great relationship with their grandparents (and other family members).
    Some don't even have great family members, and wouldn't want a relationship with them.
    You shouldn't judge someone based on the reasons you state. You probably shouldn't judge at all. Just be thankful that you had what a lot of others miss out on. Those feelings you get about your Grandpa when you use his tools are a gift that many are deprived of.
    Until you walk a mile in their shoes..........................
    You have much to learn Grasshopper...;)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  23. phat rat

phat rat

This thread has sure brought out some real tight ass types. Especially those who know everything and have never sold anything for more than they paid

24. steeltappet

steeltappet
    from PA

appears that someone might be a car flipper :)

25. squirrel

squirrel

I can see that...but then again, my mom just moved in with us, and we're cleaning out her house. There isn't room for all the stuff that she has that a family member loved....what do we do with the rest of it?

Reality is that most kids these days just don't care about the stuff that their fathers and grandfathers and greatgrandfathers cared about. And something like an old car is just a big burden, if you don't love it.

Get over your own feelings about what you'd do, and help the guy do what he needs to do.

26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

When my mother finally had to move (age 90), she hated it because she loved her home. Our solution was to call other family members and ask them if there was anything they would like to have. Difficult time. Best of luck with her and the future...........:)

Hnstray, Guy Patterson and squirrel like this.
  27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just finished cleaning out my Dad's house after he passed. He was 100 and had stuff saved from when he was in HS and even stuff from his father's Army days in WWI. My 3 sisters along with our kids went through everything and each took what we wanted but there was no way we could keep everything. Some things got donated to museums, the Goodwill or to friends. Going through his stuff brought back many old memories. As difficult as it was some stuff just ended up in the trash. Point is everyone's situation is different and they all deal with it in their own way.

28. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  29. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Thanks for the counterpoint, I can see there may be other factors that that I hadn't originally taken in to account. I must admit I have always been a bit opinionated.

30. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

We passed some of my parents stuff on to our kids, gave lots away to friends and charity, the rest is squeezed into the outbuildings - we really have not looked at any of it since. It was simply got too tough to sort everything. There are a few large plastic totes labeled: "MOM'S ESTATE, NFI" (NOTE: NFI is a military acronym for "No Further Information" - commonly translated as "No F'n Idea:).

We are now cleaning out my mother in laws mobile home. Some gets re-squeezed into the outbuildings, some goes to charity and several loads to the dump (after 86 years, some of the furniture is worn out).

Got about 1 more week to go, she saved everything. Yesterday, I re-arranged the shelves in the outbuildings, bought some more totes - and another marker pen to write "Phyllis, NFI".

Russ

alanp561 likes this.