Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures old school speed shops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rooster72, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Rooster72

Rooster72

Hi guys , recently ive been day dreaming about my teenage days going to local speed shops with friends and family and how awesome it was . sadly i never took any pictures and cant find any online. As a teen money was tight but every week or so i'd scratch enough money to find a reason to go back , headers , a tach, maybe a cool shifter. the bonus was the big boy toys to drool over like a huge set of slicks or a big ol blower usually behind the register on a shelf. One cool place had an old school sling shot dragster right when you walked in. Again i wish i had taken pictures to start this thread ( my first by the way ) but maybe someone did . also only recently have i paid any attention to these threads and they're pretty cool, so i hope this wasn't just done lol.
    I grew up 20 minutes outside Detroit in the burbs and the places i've been talking about were
    Redford Speed
    Ramchargers
    Mid America
    but im sure there were more, Jerry

williebill likes this.
  2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

3. SAM3 Customs

SAM3 Customs
    from Michigan

Jerry,
    There were multiple Gratiot Auto Supply locations in the metro Detroit area but they closed when you were around 10.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

4. Hutkikz

Hutkikz

Here in Lansing(MI) We still have Johnson's Speed Warehouse. I forget when they first opened but it's been here at least since the 60's. Roy Johnson still runs it although I hear they will be moving soon apparently the property(next to the airport) has become too valuable to continue there.

I don't have any pictures but if you click the link above there are a couple(I couldn't copy them). Almost every inch of wall space covered with peg board with parts hanging and countertops piled high with parts books etc. He has tons of stuff you can't get anywhere anymore. He does sell on ebay now: http://www.ebaystores.com/Johnsons-Speed-Warehouse

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

In the 60's my speed shop was the local junkyard, Milwaukee area had 2 that I remember, Hot Rod shop and Schliepers Speed shop. Even back then I bought from Speedway Motors mail order. I did buy from a local auto parts store, owner a local stock car racer, his #1 was a drag racer. When I asked questions they had good information, I also made a friend starting out his speed shop,( his Mothers house garage) Steve Zima, went on to be pretty big successful shop. Now O'reillys is my local parts house( manager is a car guy) will take the time to help you out and I buy almost everything mail order today.