Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Body Shop removed VIN. How concerned should I be?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sumter DeGaris, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Sumter DeGaris

Sumter DeGaris

I have a 1957 Chevy two door hardtop that is being restored by a local shop. The car has what I would call a VIN stamped onto a metal tag that is riveted on the driver side front windshield pillar that can be seen when the door is opened.
    While the shop guys were removing the paint from the car with a sander, someone very deliberately ground down only the area of the tag where the numbers were to the point where there is nothing but smooth metal and the numbers can no longer be seen. No other paint around this area was disturbed.
    It was like someone singled out the numbers on the tag and purposely erased them and then just moved on to another part of the car and I am not sure why.
    I have read where some people are stealing the metal ID tags from the fire wall, especially from two door hard top cars, and putting them on cars that aren't true two door hard tops to pass them off as such. Am I being a paranoid about this? It still seems strange if not suspicious why some one would do this.
    Any explanation any one could give about why this happened would really be helpful in knowing how concerned I need to be about this. Appreciate any input. Thank you.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

How soon can you get that car out of there? Lunch time tomorrow?

3. grumpy65

grumpy65

If it were me, I would be very suspicious, and asking some very pointed questions.
    Check the rivets (spot welds) on the tag. I bet they look too new. The tag is probably not your original. Take pics. You may need to document this so you can take it further...............

Edit: Apparently '57 tags are spot welded on, not riveted. I have learned something new today.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Get some documentation, perhaps pix and a call to the local police. Someone might be getting tags and title for your car with their body. And your body might just disappear some time soon.

5. grumpy65

grumpy65

The rivets (spot welds) will tell the story......................

31hotrodguy and upspirate like this.
  6. As I remember it, those tags were actually spot welded on not riveted. Get your Title, go check the Frame vin numbers and go to the D.M.V. telling them what happened. They will get you straitened out. The rest is just talk. You can Bark at the Shop owner but he can't do anything that will stand up and get you out of a bad situation latter.

Tman, Hot Rod Nut, Cosmo50 and 5 others like this.
  7. And yes, you should be real concerned.

Tman, Hot Rod Nut, Cosmo50 and 5 others like this.
  8. grumpy65

grumpy65

Ok. I stand corrected. The spot welds will tell the story if the tags have been changed.

Agreed......... It would be near impossible to sand off just the numbers neatly without touching the surrounding area.

9. Squablow

Squablow

That would piss me off greatly. You can get reproduction tags and restamp them, but that's not the same as having the original untouched tag on there. That tag is the only easily visible titling number on the car so for later resale having the tag ground off is a huge deal, I'd be really mad about that.

However I can't imagine what you mean here. How would you pass off a different body style as a 2 door hardtop with just a tag? Putting the cowl tag on a 2 door sedan would fool nobody, they're completely different bodies. If you mean using the cowl tag to make a 210 2 door hardtop into a Belair, that still won't work, because the door tag number will call out which trim level the car was, so changing the cowl tag doesn't accomplish that. Also, why would they bother to destroy your door tag if they just wanted to steal the cowl tag for another car?

This sounds much more like someone doing that to be an asshole or get revenge for something.

10. redo32

redo32

The vin tag was originally spot welded to the door post. If it was riveted before it was already suspect. The frame is stamped on the top of the frame approximately under the seat and some a second set about 2 feet to the rear of that. The firewall tag doesn't include the vin only the style and trim info.

I would be concerned. There are repo tags available, technically illegal to stamp your title numbers and pop rivet. It's also illegal for the kid to grind the numbers off.

11. grumpy65

grumpy65

The OP said it was riveted.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  12. It sounds like Sumter DeGaris may be unaware that under inspection the Vin# stamped into the Frame and the Vin tag on the Body must have matching numbers, When those don't match most States impound said vehicle and hold it until it is proven neither is Stolen. That is dang hard to do. Laws may very a little State to State but not much. Don't set your self up for trouble. There are simple legal ways to correct this issue but no matter how you do it it involves your D.M.V.

loudbang and grumpy65 like this.
  13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Sounds unprofessional or a rookie apprentice was not being supervised

clem and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like somebody is getting ready to steal your car...without that vin# it's hard to prove that was ever yours. :mad:

15. rusty valley

rusty valley

Correct me if i am wrong, but isn't that tag only body numbers and not the real Vin which would be stamped elsewhere?

Krash Vegas likes this.
  16. Vin on tag matches Vin on left frame rail under drivers area.Some can be read with a mirror.

VANDENPLAS and rusty valley like this.
  17. redo32

redo32

The door tag is the only complete vin. The frame numbers are only the sequence serial number and does not include other info that the vin provides. The frame numbers are near impossible to access and read.

Federal law prohibits altering or destroying the vin. Somebody could get in serious trouble.

18. Real vin's didn't come about till the late 60's early 70's. I believe that tag is a serial number tag. I bought a Studebaker in Washington and they used the engine number on the title. (original 1949 title) When I took it to the DMV the lady looked at the serial number tag on the door post and of course it didn't match the title number. Fortunately the original engine was still in the car and I was able to show her the number that matched the title. She then said she couldn't use the engine number to register the car in Oregon so she used the serial number tag on the door and that's what is on my new title. Every state is different but I would be questioning what the hell they were thinking and get something in writing from the shop that screwed up your number tag for future reference.
    They are making kits to convert a 4 door into a 2 door for tri five chevys. New 2 door doors B pillars and rear quarters and they look good. So if they are really trying to fool someone they need a new body code tag.

stillrunners, VANDENPLAS and egads like this.
  19. SS327

SS327

Get the state police involved. Do not go to your local pd. or sheriff’s office. They will not be able to help you. Be prepared for a fight and to have the car towed out immediately. Be there when the state trooper shows up to investigate. Good luck.

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

To add, I'd have a roll-back on site too. Chances are pretty evident it's leaving that shop immediately.
    edit- just seen the part about having it towed!

21. grumpy65

grumpy65

This should put it into perspective, and spur you on to take action as soon as possible..................

Does removing a VIN number violate federal law?

It is a federal crime to:

• remove,
    • obliterate,
    • tamper with, or
    a vehicle’s VIN number. The law also forbids removing identifying decals or stickers with intent to steal a vehicle. It also forbids covering those decals or stickers to hide them.1

Violating the law is a felony. Convictions carry up to:

• 5 years in prison, and
    • $250,000 in fines.
    There are exceptions to the law, though. It allows a VIN number to be removed in the following cases:

• motor vehicle scrap processors or demolishers who are acting in compliance with state law,
    • anyone who has to remove or alter the VIN to make a repair,
    • anyone who restores or replaces VIN numbers in accordance with state law, and
    • the owner of the vehicle, acting under the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act, removes or alters an identifying decal or sticker.2
    These exceptions do not apply to people who knew that the vehicle was stolen.

22. Sporty45

Sporty45

I know with guns if you grind off the serial number, it can still be read using some kind of metal displacement method. Ask a cop about it and see if it can be done with the tag. That is, after you get that car the hell out of that shop!!!

23. SS327

SS327

Do not remove the car until the state police say you can or you become the asshole!

5window and ffr1222k like this.
  24. By the time you "sanded' through the number, the tag would be gone. If there's a tag there, make sure it's not covered with masking tape and you just looked at it wrong. Then go back to the beatings. I hope to God I'm right. Where in the hell do you people find these body shops?? They must be working for free is all i can say.

25. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I have seen the vin tag both spot welded and attached with aircraft blind rivets (not pop rivets). I would start off by asking for the tag, if they cannot produce it, you know that there will be a issue.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

PSA: it's called a "VIN"

Vehicle Identification Number. It already has that number thingy in there.

Tman, Special Ed and seabeecmc like this.
  27. indyjps

indyjps

What do you mean "your" '57 Chevy?

I would be talking to the police and a lawyer right now and finding a rollback truck service to haul it out.
    Need the police there when you remove it, ensure there are no mechanic leins placed on the car by the shop. They have the right to pursue payment for any work done.

Good luck

dirty old man and hotrodjack33 like this.
  28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

What a can of worms...

Had you seen the tag previously, have a photo? Does the car have any reliable history? How about the body shop? Did you ask why this was done?

dan31 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The way the laws are written in a lot of states, the shop has MORE laws protecting them than the customer has. It quite often takes a court case to get YOUR rights protected.:(

indyjps likes this.
  30. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

It should work, as the metal is distorted when the numbers are stamped into the metal

Sporty45 likes this.