Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Upside down oil pressure gauge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sporty45, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Sporty45

Sporty45

I'm looking for an 2" oil pressure gauge with a needle that swings from the top down like the one pictured. I actually bought this one, but the needle was stuck on 25lbs when I got it :mad:. I'm trying to re do the gauges in my 47 Olds dash cluster, and the stock oil pressure gauge only goes up to 60lbs, and I would like one that goes a little bit higher than that. I'm afraid my more modern engine would blow the gauge! Anybody know of a quality gauge I could use? I don't think it necessarily needs to go as high as 100lbs, but that's what I found

[​IMG]

2. Budget36

Budget36

Just a question, but why do you need more than 60psi?

3. Sporty45

Sporty45

When my engine, a 454, is cold it goes above 60

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  4. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

The higher the number the harder it is to determine what is actually happening. You cant blow the gauge the bourdon ( spelling) tube is brass . The can be repaired by you . If you gently bend the chrome ring , holding the glass in , then there is a connector link to the needle . WAIT IS THIS A ELECTRIC GAUGE OR MECHANICAL?

Sporty45 likes this.

5. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Ive got some in the back , Ill find out the manufacture.

Sporty45 likes this.
  6. SAM3 Customs

SAM3 Customs
    from Michigan

Bob's Speedometer ( https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/ ) in Howell, Mi. can modify an existing gauge if you don't find one that works for you.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sporty45 likes this.
  7. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

RAC Gauges

Sporty45 likes this.
  8. 92-96 ford pickup? 599-700.jpg

Sporty45 likes this.
  9. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Smiths are good quality and available in that style. There are several on the e place.

Sporty45 likes this.
  10. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

11. Budget36

Budget36

That’s not what my question was, if you have 60+ pressure, is it needed?

Again, I’m just asking.

Sporty45 likes this.
  12. Put a ballast resistor in the oil line.

13. gene-koning

gene-koning

Sure, its needed! As the motor wears and the oil pressure drops, starting with a higher pressure means the motor should last longer, right? LOL!

If the clearances in the motor are tight, you get what you get, not always what you want or need. Usually when the oil is cold, the pressure is higher, especially at higher rpm. As the oil warms up, the pressure usually drops to a more normal reading. That cold oil, higher rpm, pressure leads one to be concerned about the gauge, and other stuff. I'm sure not going to tear down a fresh built motor to lower the cold oil pressure. Gene

2OLD2FAST and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  14. Sporty45

Sporty45

It's a mechanical gauge

15. Sporty45

Sporty45

I did see those, but wasn't sure of the quality. Thanks

16. Sporty45

Sporty45

17. Sporty45

Sporty45

OK, I get what you're asking. I am not using a high pressure oil pump, it's just a stock replacement pump. I didn't build the engine to produce high oil pressure if that's what you mean. And it's only when cold that it goes above 60 lbs. I'm just worried about blowing the stock gauge and getting oil everywhere in the car!

2OLD2FAST and Budget36 like this.
  18. Sporty45

Sporty45

I saw those on the bay, but they all were copies coming from India. Don't want to have to deal with customer service in India! :p

19. Sporty45

Sporty45

I'm guessing that is a printed circuit cluster? Probably not an easy way to separate the needed gauge and integrate it into my stock cluster if it is.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  20. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Found a nos sunpro , reads to 100 mechanical and is needle pivots from top . Look on ebay for Sunpro . Email me ill send pics ( only way i know how to send pics )

Sporty45 likes this.
  21. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Those are probably driven by stepper motors with the input coming from the ECM..

tb33anda3rd and Sporty45 like this.
  22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Gary , read up on " screen capture "after some " nudging" by others the other day , I figured it out , & I'm totally computer illiterate ..

23. Sporty45

Sporty45

That's the one I pictured in my original post. I bought it and the needle was on 25 lbs when I got it. I'm not buying another one, it looked liked cheap junk when I got it. I just bought a RAC gauge on ebay. Maybe I'll have better luck with this one!

24. Budget36

Budget36

I gotcha. My Melling stock replacement style pump came with a high pressure spring installed and a standard pressure spring if needed. Since I was matching the bearings to the crank I polished I wound up with a hair above .002 clearance, so used the standard spring to not have too high of pressure.

25. Sporty45

Sporty45

I believe mine is a Melling as well, but I don't recall getting 2 sets of springs with it. And it only goes up over 60 at startup, once it's warmed up it stays in the 40 - 45 lb range

26. Budget36

Budget36

Let me clarify “stock style replacement “. The one I bought is a newer design, called “shark tooth” supposed to eliminate surges, cure cancer, etc;). Could be why it came with two.
    In the past using “regular “ Mellings I don’t recall an extra in the box either.

Also, seems you’re looking for a mechanical gauge as well since you mentioned not wanting oil inside if an issue occurs.

I still recall that warm feeling on my ankle getting hotter and hotter. As I pulled over I saw my pant leg was oil soaked when the plastic line wore through or cracked.

Didn’t take much interior cleanup, but the tennis shoes had to go in the trash!

Sporty45 likes this.
  27. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Alot more variables to oil pressure than just pump .

Sporty45 and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  28. RodStRace

RodStRace

Not helping OP, but watch out for those Ford "gauges".
    They are paired and you have to buy both.
    Also, and more importantly, Ford has a nasty habit of installing "gauges" that are paired with an on/off sending unit. They had customer complaints with a standard gauge (My pressure is too high cold, or My pressure is too low when warm at idle) , so they have a sending unit that goes open over 3-5 PSI and a "gauge" that goes to the middle of the dial when not grounded. That put a stop to the complaints, but it's as useful as an idiot light.:confused: If the reading doesn't change with RPM at all, it ain't a gauge.:rolleyes:

Here's a link so you see what others have said.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2LgrFB7vUI

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  29. 6sally6

6sally6

Thinner oil/synthetic might be a 'crutch'........?
    jus say'in
    6sally6

30. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

did you actually hook up and try the gage? Maybe it just sitting on 25 from being jostled from shipping, if it was hooked up it might be able to blow past 25 and settle down and read correctly.