Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A Sub Rail Replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Mar 25, 2021.

1. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

My 31 Model A coupe needs new sub rails. Its swiss cheese. I have the frame but yet to measure it. Seeking advice on how to do it. Never done it. The panels that are supposed to have the lip that rolls under doesn't exist anymore. I'm in a driveway so no lift or anything fancy.

2. I built an A roadster pickup for a guy once. It had no floor, subrails, toe board stuff, nothing. I built subrails from 2x1 box etc. (actually 25x50mm)
    It all worked out good and strong.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Check out Fordgarage.com there's a series of pics on redoing the subrails and floor and assembling a coupe body. You might find it helpful.

TheSteamDoc and 31Apickup like this.
  4. Bratton's in Mt. Airy, MD carries them. Not cheap, I think they're from Brookville.

5. grumpy65

grumpy65

6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

As studebaker joe mentions, the Ford garage website has an excellent section that shows the entire sub rails replacement on a coupe, hood one to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    stillrunners likes this.
  7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Steam Doc .... did I not read that your wanting to build a real low, channeled Hot Rod?
    Please respond.

8. 1ton

1ton

If you purchase all new replacement metal like the subrails, cross pieces and whatever needs replacing, the whole thing fits together like a puzzle. You will need some dimensions from somebody. It gets a bit pricey replacing the entire subfloor but if your not sure about it, it's probably money well spent. If you're not concerned with originality, then just go for it.

9. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

If in fact you are contemplating a channel over the frame, take a look at this video linked below for ideas. I did mine quite similar and then moved on to the floors. I don't have a lift either. It's not needed for this. What you do need is a few friends to help lift the body on and off a few times. I wasn't concerned with any originality, just functionality.