Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Possible Historic Car For Sale?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GordonC, Mar 23, 2021.

1. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw this over on FB marketplace for sale in NJ. No personal connection just showing whats still out there. $25k price.

From the ad: Custom Built Push Start Dragster. Built By Cedarquist Brothers. On cover of Hot Rod Magazine in November 1960. Originally ran a 150mph in 10.49 seconds in 1962. NO TITLE. Vehicle has not run in a long time. Mileage is unknown.

163776950_10159608904169560_6495799391354164019_o.jpg 163823980_10159608904154560_663618891509207160_o.jpg 164072708_10159608904194560_6296813121747747072_o.jpg 163591083_10159608904269560_6603925561472026821_o.jpg

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think @IronTrap was over there recently

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unlike the majority of "found" vintage race cars, this one sure looks like it was well cared for over the years:D

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hope it gets a safe place to hang out and let out to breathe every once in a while...it sure as alluded, was babied...it shows...

loudbang, GordonC and catdad49 like this.
  6. Fordors

Fordors

The title says Possible Historic Car, to me that’s for sure. The look and the attention to detail made an impression on me the first time I saw the car in Hot Rod. As if the quality wasn’t enough the Cedarquist Brothers were members of the Road Kings, look up the club if you are not familiar with it, there were a couple notable members in that group.

7. Magfiend

Magfiend

Is it the same car or a recreation? Cage is obviously updated...anything else?

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    catdad49, mgtstumpy, alanp561 and 9 others like this.
  9. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless one is into this, this car is probably unpractical. But it is really, REALLY, cool. For what it is and especially with its history, I don't think that the asking $$$ are unrealistic. I love it!

10. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

The car was built with a single purpose and that is to race. Workmanship looks to be outstanding, high level of attention to detail, and overall the car was well taken care of. It belongs on the track. But in reality someone will buy it and just trailer it to shows, show it off, look what I own, which is not that bad for more people will see what a real drag car looks like.

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. @Jeff Norwell weren't you planning a drag roadster build a few years ago? Why not buy this one? :):cool:

13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Possible Historic? I didn't want to claim it as an actual historic car without first hand proof and start a pissing contest. My reading it on a website doesn't make it law to me until I personally did the research to verify it. Then I would have said "Historic."

wandi harry, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That is indeed the Cederquist Bros Car.I spoke to the owner then and he has since passed on.
    He was a very nice man.... but as for me.. naw...Not interested... but.....for $25k you can't even come close to build a vintage race car for that price... aside being a VERY Historic car with a ton of recorded history.
    Very good deal.

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I'll try and see if I can find the correspondence from the previous owner..... lots of info on the car.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  16. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

While I would love to see that car restored to to a previous state, maybe it's November 60 condition, and make a hot lap down the strip a time or two it does deserve to be in a museum, witch one I have no idea but it does.

17. 49cadillac

49cadillac

Looks like the tonneau cover snaps have been eliminated probably when the thing was repainted.

18. IronTrap

IronTrap

Yes I was in there buying some stuff from the estate a couple years ago and then was back for the auction of the "stuff" last summer. The car had a reserve I believe around 45-50k. It was only bid up to the 30k range I think and didn't meet reserve at the auction. At the time I think Bill's wife was in poor health and thus the auction. When I first went to the property to buy parts I was quoted double the reserve at the auction. I agree with others that the car is hot rod history/royalty but the way it was restored sort of detracts from the value/significance. I think looking at the photos it is still at the same property but is being sold by a younger gentleman that is probably a relative and thus the appraisal comment. He also says the 25k was just a number to put the ad up and he is much lower than the asking price of the car. At 25k it was a steal without the historic significance!

Fun fact: The shortened chrome 37 lasalle trans in my 33 3W came from this car originally we believe! I saved some neat parts we found stashed all over the old farm in the chicken coops and buildings there and I still have a number of items I bought saved for my own project cars. I hope this car goes to someone that will return it to it's original glory someday!

19. saw that posted to instagram the other day.. not sure by whom.. but its cool ..

Stogy likes this.
  20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

When I spoke with Bill a few years back.. there was a constant "Chirping" in the BG...I asked what that was....
    "My pet Squirrels..I have a bunch that are my pets"

I just laughed.
    Bill was a nice guy.

21. the holes for the original roll bar are still in the turtle deck. Sure looks original.

Stogy likes this.
  22. 296ardun

296ardun

I saw it race in its original form, at Bakersfield and San Fernando. I understand that some historic race cars are updated and raced in the nostalgia ranks...my preference would be to see it restored back to its original form...but then again I'm not buying it, so let the new owner-- if there is one--- decide.

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Albiet the beast has been upgraded it was done by one that certainly respected its past...hence the approval of the asking price...certainly not the first time survivors have been upgraded with a huge nod to their heyday... @Stan Back's roadster comes to mind...

I think the fact it's not a street/race affects saleability...

@IronTrap I'm having a chuckle thinking one may come knocking at your door for some vintage racing parts in the near future...:)

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man...some of you fellas have done the walk indeed...I was Breastfeeding when that was screaming down the track...

This is one of those priceless details I love and revere about this place...the Veterans of the movement...I sure as heck understand your thoughts 296...you were living the excitement then that inspires us now...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

It's an awesome car. If it were mine, I'd title it, add a radiator, front brakes, headlights, and make it at least streetable enough to drive around shows and the fairgrounds.
    Assuming that updated cage would pass tech, I'd knock it back down to full race mode and with the proper rear end gears, etc., trailer it to the drags, dry lakes and take a crack at Bonneville for plenty of S&G's!!!

This ad from 7/15/20 indicates it as 'sold' @ $55 (which I assume is 55k)??

https://m.facebook.com/groups/feltonharrington/permalink/4726563797369103/

brady1929 and Stogy like this.
  26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Grabbed an image from WM K. Y.
    This image (and others fuelled my hunger when I was building a Drag Roadster.)..... it captures the essence of the era that turns my crank the most.
    ~~57-61~~

And Tony Nancy is still my ultimate Hero.

164787384_10159066773438928_4775087176781674048_n.jpg

catdad49, Hamtown Al, rod1 and 14 others like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am thankful there are those that can conserve history as in a museum setting with these gems as a form of Equity and History...

I for one don't have the financial wealth to do what these collectors do...but appreciate it and they really are a diverse group many having done the Hotrod/Custom walk to boot...they are not enemies but preservationists...

Running a preserved gem down the track obviously comes with risks as back in the day accidents happened so as an investor you must weigh out those risks and determine how you may present a collection...what I'm saying is if you take a vintage survivor back into a full on period style race it could end up a twisted shrapnel pile and that would be tragic even involving death...

I wouldn't cut this thing or any other non street survivor into a Streetable as it would further take away from what it was...

This Racer has had an admirable bit of a Kookie run to today with purpose being maintained...but it will be up to the new Owner to grapple with where to go...

Hopefully it goes back but if it stays in its newer iteration it still respects the History...all my opinion of course...;)

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20210326_192057.jpg

https://www.roadkings.net/

:rolleyes:...Monster Cool Glimpse of past greatness from the Club where it all happened...

The Peckerhead on the Cowl sure had weird Eyes it seems...:D...I thought it was a Clay Smith's Mr Horsepower...but not sure...

https://www.claysmithcams.com/history/

I'm always amazed at the use of Spoke wheels with a Hemi, backspaced mind you adding some premium ballast to the spokes, not to mention the nose going up on launch coming back down on them...but as they say every ounce shed aids the goal of winning the race and making records...

I learn my history on these gems being shared here and this Road Kings Club was of Burbank origin with many greats in the ranks including Ivo, Prudhomme and these fellas being discussed to boot...talk about provenance...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This link is for those obviously more privileged than I...:D

Hotrods, is there a FB link that you can clic and read without the dreaded login?...;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    alanp561 likes this.
  30. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

upload_2021-3-26_18-21-54.png

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, alanp561 and Stogy like this.