Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ID these Wheels, should be a no brainer but?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Mar 24, 2021.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Had these for a long time, now their looking for a new home. Before I list them in the classifieds I need to intelligently tell people what they are. Clues 15x8.5, 5 on 5 bolt pattern. Only markings are a "PF" before the size on back of wheel. Ansen? ET? Other? To nice to be generic. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

You need a more detailed picture of the front and rear...

3. Those are aluminum slots. Need anything else just give me a yell ;):D

chevy57dude, fauj, scotty t and 6 others like this.
  4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I'll wait for the evening crowd they seem a little more enlightened! smileyface

Deuces and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

:)Well !!! dont insult us day folk ! just because we are dilly dallying on the computer instead of working like we should be...we are not dumb! Actually, I agree with Lloyd, they are aluminum slots. Since there is no brand markings, there would be no point to know any more because a prospective buyer wont necessarily believe your opinion on an unmarked product.

1934coupe and squirrel like this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AP’s or Appliance Plating. As I remember the backside looked real close with the re-enforcements in the casting.

brigrat, Deuces and Nailhead Jason like this.
  7. Deuces

Deuces

.....Or, they look like something Sears or Monkey Wards used to sell back in the day.....

8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Forgot about Appliance, could be!

9. TCATTC

TCATTC

10. TCATTC

TCATTC

Nope, US wheels had center caps held on with screws

11. Probably not Appliance, they usually had the "A" in a circle logo shown on the box in the picture on the back side plus they had recessed lug nut holes. U.S. Indy had that on the back. Ansen always said Ansen on the back and early ones had serial numbers stamped. I believe Western had their name cast on the back also. Mickey Thompson said the name and Medallion on the back. Superior had the name and Supermag on the back. I've never heard of any wheel company with a PF. As Deuces stated above there were many store brands that didn't have a name cast in. Sears, Big R. Montgomery Wards. Also J.C. Penney had the A F/X brand and I believe there was no name on them. 20210324_174340.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I were looking for a full set of slots it wouldn't matter the brand so long as they were a matching set.

seb fontana and partsdawg like this.
  13. gene-koning

gene-koning

And were the wheel bolt pattern I needed.

seb fontana and 49ratfink like this.
  14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

IMG_2152.PNG p1010564.jpg P1010569.jpg p1010564.jpg P1010569.jpg Most of you are saying it really doesn't matter who made them there just Aluminum Slotted mags. I don't buy that! You can't lump low end mass produced "slots" sold by J.C. Penny's or the like to say an ET III for instant or a Halibrand. Since I am listing them the buyer deserves to know the brand if I can come up with it. EDIT, the wheels in this post are NFS, just for example........................

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  15. Whatever they are, they are good looking wheels.

brigrat and guthriesmith like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those might be the tires that they were sold new with. I can't remember who sold Eliminator tires and they may have been a regional brand.

brigrat likes this.
  17. Maybe they are special edition @povertyflats wheels with the “PF” on the back? :rolleyes: In all honesty, they do appear to be pretty good quality slots.

brigrat likes this.
  18. greybeard360

greybeard360

Eliminator trademarked the prowler tire name in 1969 and that expired in 81 without being renewed. There is a guy on ebay trying to sell a pair of L60-15's for $375.00 as used vintage racing tires..... Lol

19. Hmmmm'. Look up "Shelby Cal 500" slotted wheels.

Backsides look identical to "Shelby Cal 500" slotted wheels. Although Shelby wheels had a raised embossed name around the inside diameter.

If you find out who made the Shelby Cal 500's .. I'm betting you'll find your wheel brand.

I had two 14" by 9" Cal 500's on a 5 on 5 pattern not too long ago. Supposedly manufactured for several company brands, besides Shelby.

I couldn't find two exacts so to the auction site they went.

20. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

kidcambell71, I did look them up and your rite, the Shelby rear does resemble the backs. I remember they came off a Ford Mustang, the width of 8.5 is strange unless the width and offset are tailored to a specific car.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. bchctybob

bchctybob

I applaud your attempt to correctly identify your wheels before listing them for sale.
    I recently wasted six hours driving over to the Bay Area and back to look at/buy a "set of rare early American Torque Thrusts". On the phone the seller didn't seem to know much about them, they came with the car he bought. They were still mounted on the car so, "I can't get pictures of the back side or B.S. dimension". The price was fair but not cheap. He supposedly had others coming to check them out so we just hit the road. When we arrived, they were off the car and it was clear that they weren't a matched set - two round spoke fronts and two pointy spoke rears. Not easy to tell from the crummy pictures in his ad. The round spoke fronts were steel bands with a steel impregnated aluminum outer/center welded in. The rears were not Americans of any kind either. He was a nice guy with a nice car (I won't elaborate, I don't want to embarrass anyone) but he wasn't very knowledgeable about anything to do with early parts. He was switching to new 17" wheels. Sad. The bad thing was, all of the restaurants in the area were still "take out only" so I couldn't even take the wife out for a nice lunch.
    I, for one, appreciate a clear and accurate ad and the effort some sellers are willing to take to give you additional info and pictures.

22. grumpy65

grumpy65

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you can't see a difference between run of the mill slots and Halibrands or ET II's? everybody and there brother sold these slots, and they came from just a few foundries. slots are slots as far as brand goes, there are few variations in style just pick the ones you like the best.

rusty valley likes this.
  24. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Still not buying it! My point was that the ETIII's & Halibrands demand more money than the run of the mill "slots", period! Morning crowd again! smileyface!

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my point was ET III's and Halibrand are not slots.

brigrat likes this.
  26. brigrat likes this.
  27. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Who would have thought a FB group on Vintage Wheels! Just submitted! Thanks swade!

seb fontana and swade41 like this.
  28. rusty valley

rusty valley

face book is the devil.

Deuces, kidcampbell71, egads and 2 others like this.
  29. Couldn't be further from the truth, thousands of car related groups specific to just about anything you can think of, plus just as many for sale groups. I've bought and sold a ton of rare and hard to find pieces, pretty amazing what can pop up at realistic prices.

30. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I'm thinking they're a low-production rarely seen wheel made by the same company that made P.F. flyer tennis shoes. Figured they'd get the kids w/the tennies, then when they started driving, they'd get the teenagers shod w/their wheels. My version of "Plausible Deniability". :D .
    Marcus...