Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Seeking info on a 1950 Bill Hines Mercury.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by level2526, Mar 24, 2021.

1. level2526

level2526

I have a 50 Mercury that was supposed to have been chopped by Bill Hines. I am really looking for any insight to help verify that. Right now the car is being redone and is in primer. Any help would be appreciated. IMG_4851.JPG IMG_4845.JPG IMG_5114.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

48fordnut, loudbang, OzMerc39 and 8 others like this.
  2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang, OG lil E, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  3. What straycat said and please don't use those horrible Hagan headlights on it. They are an abomination.

4. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I know Bill Hines' nephew. I forwarded him a link. Give it a day or so, and we'll see. My guess is Bill worked on a shit-ton of cars, and it may not be possible to know for sure, unless there are photos somewhere.

loudbang, OG lil E, Stogy and 3 others like this.

5. I could be wrong but I believe this mercury was featured in either Car Kulture Deluxe or Ol Skool Rodz magazine.

loudbang, Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That sure doesn't look like any '59 Merc that I've ever seen...

loudbang and Kato Kings like this.
  7. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please Don't use them.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  8. 6sally6

6sally6

Yeah.....me neither! (spell check is a wonderful thing.huh?!)
    6sally6

9. level2526

level2526

Real smart ass. Apparently you have too much time on your hands.

loudbang and Mopar Tony like this.
  10. level2526

level2526

It was in a euro mag I have the photo copy of it. IMG_5682.JPG IMG_5682.JPG

11. level2526

level2526

Thanks I would appreciate that. I have other pics of the car, this one (bottom pic)was when they were doing the second monster garage with the old school customizers. I was told by previous owner. IMG_5682.JPG

loudbang, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. level2526

level2526

What would you use. ? Those chrome rings came in the box of parts.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. Squablow

Squablow

Let me also add to those who are saying it's not too late to abort those horrible Hagan headlights. They clearly were not a part of the original build based on the older pics that were posted here, and they really spoil the rest of the car. If you care about the Bill Hines connection I assume you care about the history of the car and traditional custom cars in general, and those headlights are worse than a slapped-on set of 20" dub wheels, since at least the wheels can be easily unbolted.

level2526, Stogy, rudestude and 2 others like this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like when the car was first built custom, the headlights were tunneled in about an inch and a half without the use of any trim rings, and the tunnel was painted with the same flat black primer as the rest of the body. That seems like a good solution. I've also heard that the 52-54 Ford and Mercury inner stainless headlight bezels can be made to work with the old Hagan headlight cans. It's a little different from what was on there when those pics were taken, but it's definitely a period-possible setup.

level2526, Stogy, rudestude and 2 others like this.
  15. rudestude

rudestude

I had a set of them Hagon headlights ...it was a kit I got cheap.
    I thought I could do something with them...
    This is what I came up with..
    Parts I used was the cans from the hagon kit, 57 Ford headlight ring welded to the can, front side, 57 Hillman headlight bucket welded to the backside of the can and used the hillman headlight mounting ring and and spring plate, 54 merc inner headlight ring that fits down into the can.
    When finished the headlight is removable and adjustable from the front.
    You can do the same thing using the inner spring plate and retaining ring from the hagon set up but its cheap crap with plastic parts plus you end up with that big flat ugly hole.
    I wanted a tunneled light so thats why I did it the way I did.
    I have a set of pictures that show the individual parts and how it went together if interested tapatalk_1616618273299.jpeg tapatalk_1616618314680.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T307U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. rudestude

rudestude

This is the bucket apart, the outer edge of the merc stainless inner ring had to be filed slightly to drop down in the can, also a single hole could be drilled in the top of the ring so that it could be secured with a screw.
    The only parts from the hagon light kit I used was the two cans.
    If you didn't want the tunneled look ,you could just leave the hagon light thats already in the car and use the merc ring in place of that ugly one that is used by hagon but you still have the cheap mounting crap and the big flat looking hole with the headlight in it.
    Just my thoughts and opinion. It your car
    It's just to bad that someone did away with what the car had and put them ....other ones in there place. 20210324_140514~2.jpeg 20210324_140602~3.jpeg 20210324_140737~2.jpeg 20210324_140836~2.jpeg 20210324_141002~2.jpeg 20210324_141117~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T307U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. My Merc came with Hagans on them, too. When I was redoing some stuff a few years ago, I came across a thread of someone replacing the Hagan ring and headlight "holder" with '54 Ford inner rings and Chevy truck buckets. Saved me from cutting out the Hagan cans, which is in my plan eventually, but wasn't something I was ready to do at the time. Here's the link to the page on my rebuild thread where I did it:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-un-dork-ifying-of-a-merc.678319/page-14

The headlights part is about halfway down the page....post 403

18. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I spoke with Bill Hines' nephew Teddy Z. Ted does not remember the car. That does not mean Bill did not work on it. The magazine article indicates Bill did the work. So you got that.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and level2526 like this.
  19. level2526

level2526

Thanks for the information. that was a long thread. I did not realize that these Hagen style head lights were so hated.? But when you see them side by side having a full headlight in the bucket looks stronger. I’m wondering why they were changed to the Hagen style ( before I got the car ). Anyhow thanks for taking the time.

loudbang, drdave and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. level2526

level2526

Thanks for checking I appreciate the time and energy. I was wondering if the other guy on the far right (or left in the pic) was known to work with or at Bill Hines shop. The guy in the middle was the previous owner and then Bill Hines of course. Thanks again. IMG_5129.JPG

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I'll ask next week, but I think Bill worked alone.

loudbang likes this.
  22. junkman8888

junkman8888

Brad Masterson worked with Hines for a while, so did grandson Mitch, you might check with them. Unfortunately it's going to be an uphill battle to prove "provenance" as Hines did a ton of cars and I don't see anything about yours that makes it clearly identifiable. Best of luck and enjoy the ride.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    loudbang, chryslerfan55 and level2526 like this.
  23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Cigar ashes......

24. The original buckets probably got misplaced and those types of kits are easy to find and relatively inexpensive from a couple of manufacturers. Nice to see Dr Dave had some fixes.

25. Makin my neck hurt
    IMG_5129.JPG

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and K13 like this.
  26. Sorry for the bad link...I had thought I posted it to get you right to the correct post, not the beginning of the thread. Hopefully you found the right part just the same. Lol

kidcampbell71, level2526 and loudbang like this.
  27. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I spoke with Ted, unfortunately does not recognize the guys in the pic with Bill. So end of that road.

level2526 likes this.
  28. Has this car been determined to be the exact same one in the magazine article?

29. level2526

level2526

Yes. Same car. The owner is a friend of mine for a few years now. He owned the car for 25-30 years. So I know the previous owner. Also the license plate numbers are the same throughout all of the pictures.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. level2526

level2526

I appreciate your time. Thank you.

chryslerfan55 likes this.