Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ethanol fuel and Carbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shawn Wildman, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Shawn Wildman

Shawn Wildman

I'm running two Speedway 9Super7's on a 53' Merc flathead in my truck. I bought the truck back in August and started using only non-ethanol fuel and the truck ran great. BUT, I started tinkering with using ethanol fuel with Stabil in it and within a month it got harder and harder to start the truck.

It clearly states on the Speedway website NOT to use ethanol gas in the 9Super7's, so I called Speedway and asked why. Turns out several gasket/seals in the carb are not compatible with ethanol and turn gummy and can clog up the jets. Yep, I can say that is probably correct from experience.

I downloaded the PureGas app and looked to see what gas stations close by have non-ethanol gas. There's about 3 of them within 5 -10 miles of the house, but I like to take long day trips and I'm not sure I want to plan my trips around which gas stations sell non ethanol gas.

So, my question has 3 parts:
    1. Are there any rebuild kits for the 9Super7's that are ethanol friendly? Speedway doesn't sell it, I asked.
    2. If I upgrade to a Stromber 97 or Holley 94, are there ethanol friendly kits for those carbs?
    Thanks!

2. squirrel

squirrel

that's pretty strange, we only have ethanol laced fuel here, and I never have problems like that...unless I leave one sitting for a long time. But I don't have Speedway carbs, just normal carbs, with normal parts, not special ethanol compatible carbs or kits.

Did you open up the carbs and check to see if they're OK, or if stuff is coming apart inside them?

and did you check to see if there might be some other issues that are making it have trouble starting?

3. Maybe it is just because the OP is using those crappy Speedway knockoffs? Great excuse for Speedway. And ironic since ethanol has been commonplace for 20 to 40 years depending on where you live. In the case of Speedway, 40 years in the Nebraska, SD, Iowa area where they are from

arkiehotrods and squirrel like this.
  4. carbking

carbking

No comment on the Speedway carbs, I do not know. I do know we do not produce kits for them.

As far as the Stromberg EE-1 Ford version (a.k.a. 97) built by Stromberg USA from 1935 through 1938, yes, ethanol resistant kits are available. Stromberg used a brass power valve, and leather accelerator pumps which are compatible with ethanol.

As far as the Holley AA-1 Ford version (a.k.a.94) made in the USA by Holley from 1939 through 1952 (also the later Model 2100-DD and 2110-DD) ethanol-resistant kits are available excluding the power (economiser) valve, which is NOT ethanol resistant. I have not found a source for ethanol resistant power valves for the Holley.

As far as other modern clones are concerned, I do not know. I can only state what is in the kits we produce.

Jon.

AHotRod and Tman like this.

5. carbking

carbking

To add to Jim's comment about the possibility of other causes.

I purchased a new small engine two years ago, and it started easily. The manufacturer stated Stabil MUST be used in the fuel, or the warranty was void. So I used Stabil over the winter. The next spring engine would not start, under warranty, so took the engine to the manufacturer's service shop. Carburetor was completely stopped up from the Stabil, and the warranty did NOT apply to the carburetor.:mad:

Old gas is old gas; it gets old in about 6 weeks. How old is the gas in your tank?

Jon.

AHotRod, warbird1, squirrel and 2 others like this.
  6. Shawn Wildman

Shawn Wildman

Never more than a few weeks. Would like to PM you with more questions about dumping the Chinese crap carbs. That ok?

Shawn

7. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

After I retired, I worked a couple of days a week at a motorcycle shop. The mechanics loved Stabil, they made a lot of money doing carb-cleans from the guys that used Stabil.

AHotRod likes this.
  8. Have you checked to see if there is fuel in the float bowls. This new gas evaporates so fast I needed to install an electric pump to prime the carbs. Before the pump way too much cranking was needed, now it fires right off.

AHotRod likes this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shell and Esso 91-93 octane fuels advertise that they are ethanol free. Lots of those stations on most driving routes. You can even set your iphone nav app to find Shell stations.
    Oh, if you have to put the word "speedway" in front of the word "stromberg" it negates the value of the carburetor.

AHotRod and lemondana like this.
  10. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Has nothing to do with Speedway or any others My Edelbrock is giving me fits because of the fuel getting gummy The new gas is a real problem After rebuilding the Edelbrock within a month or two It wouldnt run again

11. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

12. Actually had a brand new Stihl carb go bad over the winter and their premix has their own stabilzer in it.

13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It would help if you would install a fuel shutoff valve and run the carb/carbs out of fuel instead of letting the fuel boil or evaporate from the carbs.
    I have an e85 motor and this is what I do when putting it away.

squirrel and rusty valley like this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call me crazy but I put 1oz of stabil marine in my 56 Ford with 2 Carter WCFB’s from 1953 with every fill up usually 12-15 gallons every 2 months or so. I’ve been doing this for 7 years and use the car every week. I have never had a problem. The glass AC filter bowl always looks clean and I’ve had the gas tank fuel gauge sender out a few time and the tank is spotless..

15. carbking

carbking

Shawn - you will get more intelligent answers if you call.

573-392-7378 (9-12, 1-4 Mon-Tues central time).

Jon.

AHotRod and XXL__ like this.
  16. Shawn Wildman

Shawn Wildman

Thanks. I'll call on Monday.

17. Shawn Wildman

Shawn Wildman

I had a Holley 4 barrel on a 302 in a 68 Mustang and ran ethanol gas in it for 10 years. I only added stabil to the last tank of fuel of the cruising season and would let it sit all winter and never had a problem. It was a modern carb and was probably setup with ethanol compatible seals/gaskets.

18. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Just a thought for ruminating on: decades ago I raced snowmobiles with methanol converted Tillotsen HD carburetors. They had to be pickled after every race, i.e. run on gasoline to flush the carbs so they wouldn't just dissappear between races. Of course it was easy, just pull the fuel line off the tank and drop the end in a gallon can of gas/oil mix,and run until pickled.

So for a hot rod without a return line, how about a Moon tank, say 3.5 gallon mounted gasser style, with the good stuff in it, and a 2 way solenoid valve to switch between the running tank with ethanol, and the pickle tank without ethanol. Plus it would give you a reserve of a few miles if/when you fu and don't have a station for a few more miles...

Jet96, carbking and Tman like this.