Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who Drives A Sketchy Jalopy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Had my old jalopy out yesterday and it dawned on me, I drive a jalopy that needs some improvements.
    8 year old low mile radials, 1 jug MC, drum brakes ( Lockheed up front bendix in rear), lap seat belts.
    In spite of my lacking in more modernized mechanical equipment she is a blast to drive.
    It also dawned on me that I drive with serious caution and trust no other drivers on the road.
    I hope I outgrow this someday..lol
    All shortcomings are in the bucket list for upgrades.
    Anybody else think like this?

VANDENPLAS, alanp561, AVater and 2 others like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Mechanic that Certified The Ole Jalopy said no matter what you do to these they are still no match for a collision and have primitive systems that work but have notable disadvantages to modern tech...and On that note I hopped in started it up and motored on seatbelts nowhere to be seen...:D

Not a ride goes by thinking about crediting Henry for building such a brick shithouse of a Chassis...going onto 90 yrs old now...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  3. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Yup!
    Henry's chassis was made from vanadium steel.

4. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Given what I have and what I see when I have my OT rides on the highways, I’m keeping my HAMB friendlies mostly on the out of downtown two lanes as much as possible. More fun, less worry and often better scenery.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How's that ole sketchy carb coming...the filling the bowl sounded like a good option...I guess if there is a breather that also means evaporation over time...and gas smell guaranteed for a while in the garage...

Here's the Thread if anyone's curious...aka the Ole Holley 94...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/gas-pains.1223720/

6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Stogy, been distracted with the Model A a bit but have sent a good core out for rebuilding. Now that it’s warmer, will venture out and fool with it some more this week. Problem is that the truck stored down the street and heat not available there. So spoiled with that truck as it ran like a top for so long with only regular maintenance. Took it on a 500+ mike trip summer of 2019 without any issues. Rolled over the odometer not that long ago for the Xth time. Whoever redid that engine for the PO did a wonderful job. Miss it greatly so will get it done.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It might be just a full bowl and a few cranks with full battery away from roaring to life...

I do have an interest like you in getting to know the carbs myself...Like you said you can swap them out reasonably quickly and add a few more hp at the same time...

I haven't started mine since last year so me next...:eek:

brady1929, Flat Six Fix and AVater like this.
  8. Nothing sketchy about mine, old parts sure, sketchy nope. Just well maintained, properly functioning and fun to drive cars.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Just remember, when all the fancy electronics on OT cars fail because some entity hacks all of the world's computer systems, these old carbureted, points distributor equipped cars will still get us to the grocery store.

Oh wait, all the delivery trucks by then will be electricand computerized as well. There will be no food in the stores. Well the small farms that use old equipment will still be there...

10. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Thank you for asking and aspire to learn more as well. Thank you also for the link. Rebuilt several small engine carbs and some on tractors but hope by sending it out I get best results.
    I love driving these vehicles and work to the best of my abilities to keep them functioning well. Any problems encountered are chased down and resolved. Sometimes it’s easy, sometimes it’s a challenge for my home grown on the farm mechanic skills. That being said, my OT rides seem to be to be all in all safer though not as much fun to drive.
    Happy Motoring !

Driver50x, Stogy and Flat Six Fix like this.
  11. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Sketchy is just a play on my words. I agree old tech, but in good order and not sketchy by no means.

Farming my way is all state of the art modern equipment, and big money business for sure.
    Very few small farms, majority are several sections of land each. The days of a 160 acre mixed farm gone a long time ago...

VANDENPLAS, High test 63 and Stogy like this.
  12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why, I never...
    Well, maybe one.
    Ok, maybe a couple...

13. I don’t play with old stuff because I’m scared of new stuff, no problem fixing them either. I’m constantly learning about the latest technology and love that stuff. Old stuff makes me happy.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

X-cpe, Stogy, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  14. gene-koning

gene-koning

I put way too many miles on my stuff to have sketchy stuff. Safe reliable transportation is the first order of business when I build something. Might not be pretty, or up to some peoples standards, but its far from being sketchy. Sketchy transportation ended when I was a teenager.

15. trollst

trollst

In the morning, I'm going to fire up my old sketchy pile of unsafe junk for a 6 am blast to penticton, weatherman is calling for snow showers. 1 1/2 hours away, my 36 has no heat, temp should be below freezing when I leave, got an appt with my front end guy to check alignment after some front end work I did. Pics to follow tomorrow..... DSC06522.JPG

16. I do all my own work....so that should include everything I drive......so yes.....

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_Our_SC.jpeg

0_20200928_175519.jpg

:rolleyes:...Hamber @edcodesign has made a great number of Our rides Sketchy...

Mine was no exception...Thanks so much Ed!!

Credit to Artist, Owner

AVater, ramblin dan, pprather and 5 others like this.
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We joke, and sketchy hot rods have certainly provided me with some "adventures" over the years. But also a certain amount of stress and frustration and wasted time and effort and even danger.
    As some of you have alluded to, I think and hope that we're all past any of that.
    I'll be making efforts to have this old Chrysler I'm working on to be the least sketchy old car of any I've had. Mostly because I'm building it... so I won't be inheriting any sketchiness.
    Nothing like driving a vintage car that's good in all respects except for that issue or two that ruins the whole experience. Nothing like driving a car when everything is working as it should.
    Ricky Madison built his hot rod roadster to run and handle perfectly.

Stogy, Flat Six Fix and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I think one of the things that I really like about this car, is the way the splash apron is incorporated into the body of the car.
    It's one of the first pieces to get pitched with a fenderless or half fender ride.
    And the louvers give it a good look.

Stogy and Flat Six Fix like this.
  20. Tim Walker

Tim Walker

Sketchy not so much. Unless I'm trying to get it home after I purchase it. But sketchy can be different for each person. Single reservoir brakes are sketchy to some but not others, as are mechanical brakes . But when in good working order these systems work and do what they were intended to do. Sketchy to me is the guy who cuts and welds steering gear and is only a wantabe welder or the ride rolling at 60+ mph on 40 year old bald and cracked wide whites because they look cool. The dual reservoir brakes and seat belts arn't worth a dime when the tie rod falls of at 70 mph and the car goes over the embankment because the tie rod end needed replacing or you had a blowout on the right front.

Stogy, Flat Six Fix and flatheadpete like this.
  21. Oh my gosh yes... DSC04625_zpsw5rd0obd.jpg
    Yes all of my old heaps were sketchy...drove like tanks...road noise was incredible...weaved all over the roadway too...2 hands on the steering wheel at all times...I said a prayer every time I pulled them out on the paved road surface...decided after the last one left the garage not to try and drive them on the roads...keep them in the garage or in the yard...safer for all involved...

I will tinker in the garage on them...

MikeC

Stogy and Flat Six Fix like this.
  22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

State cop to me about my pos Ford Business Coupe stalled alongside the highway.

"Get this... this... THING off the road!"

Classic. Felt like I was in a B hot rod movie. Had to keep myself from laughing. :D

37hotrod, rod1, 210superair and 5 others like this.
  23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I had a higer-up at a GM dealership tell me he didn't 'Wanna see THAT car in MY parking lot ever again!' in reference to my flathead powered T-Bucket. The guy with his name on the signs loved th car so I drove it as often as I could.

X-cpe, Driver50x, 210superair and 4 others like this.
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My '55 F100 is STILL in faded black primer, but mechanically 'together'. Vortek 350/350 T.H. at the moment, (temporarily, engine was a gift from a customer, so I went thru it and use it. 354 Chrysler hemi awaits its turn in there...)
    The Vortek starts in ONE second of cranking: Every time, never 3 seconds...One second.
    Some 50-or-so year old bald guy about fell down when he walked alongside at Walmart...
    "Hey, did I hear this thing just start up?" I cut the engine, and said "Certainly. Did you think I'd push it?"
    Him: "This is an old truck...no dents, but it's old. How does it start so fast?"
    Me: "I just got a tune-up at the Shell station."
    He just shook his head, and I gave it the 1-second crank 'quik-start' again. Raced the engine, he was real puzzled.
    Then I backed it out of the space, and lit the tires for 20 feet. When I looked back, he was scratchin' his bald head. Hope it did him some good. (the rubber patch & start lesson, not the scratching)

25. trollst

trollst

Yup, flashed her up at 6:30 in the morning, 0 degrees, (32 for you southerners), no heat in the old girl, still dark, my big headlites shining a whole 50 feet in front of the truck, 20 miles to the hiway, make a left at the hiway, side window cracked to keep the foggy windows clear, as if it weren't cold enough, gloves on, overcast skies, destination an hour away. Hot foot it, take blurry pics of old cars on the way, show up to the tire shop half frozen, stand in front of the heater for twenty minutes, Corry takes the old girl for a drive, then we tackle the front end, change out the coils, set up the alignment to different than stock specs based on ideas and experience, hoping the truck will drive nicer. Yep, I drive her.... DSC07846.JPG DSC07848.JPG DSC07850.JPG DSC07852.JPG DSC07853.JPG DSC07854.JPG DSC07855.JPG DSC07861.JPG DSC07864.JPG DSC07873.JPG DSC07874.JPG DSC07875.JPG DSC07876.JPG DSC07878.JPG
    Some pics of me at yellow lake, cold mountain snow, frozen water, old cars.....and yes it was a freakin cold trip, not so bad coming home, enjoy....

AVater, rod1, TrailerTrashToo and 6 others like this.
  26. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Love it thanx for sharing

trollst and Stogy like this.
  27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember driving on the expressway in the middle of the winter in an off topic Chevy short bed. Actually, NO bed. Come to think of it, no hood either. Lowered, small block, 4spd. Headers and "Hush" Thrush that emptied directly under the cab... loudly. To top it all off, the truck had no heat. I kept a rag and a bottle of alcohol to keep the windshield clear... sort of.
    My girlfriend at the time was with me. Cuddled next to me with a blanket over both of our legs. She was pretty cool. Or maybe just as crazy as I was. At some point she turned to me and yelled... You're lucky I'm a nice person! We both laughed cuz we both knew she was right.

When it happened that I needed to give my dad a ride across town in it, he was just like...
    Jeez, Rick...

Now thinking back, I'm like...
    Jeez, Rick...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  28. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Great story thanx for posting.

29. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I cannot tell a lie, I do have two creature comforts. An electric choke ( shh...) and rubber floor mats cause they are easier to clean than the floor. Besides that, it's pretty stripped down, plain Jane.
    Although to be fair, I do have electronic ignition on a 51 year old engine and disc brakes up front ( shhh... again. )
    It does have a lot of the good old hot rod stuff we know and love.

Driver50x likes this.