Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Front License Plate No Longer Required

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Gahrajmahal, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Here in Ohio they did away with the front license plate rule. Our modern plates look stupid on my old cars anyway (still need to keep the back one). The cars were designed for front license plates, so “no plate” looks bad too.

Do you have any suggestions for a Custom replacement? Photos appreciated!

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Suggestions? Remove the front license plate holder and scrap it.
    And please anyone else who responds to this thread no pictures of stupid vanity or imitation front license plates.

I don’t think this belongs here on the HAMB anyway.

3. If you are retired U.S. Army Cav.
    Cav Guidon.png

4. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is this one too stupid for you? vn vetean.jpg

5. ...are you sure that's not just for newly plated vehicles, some states are working on that idea.?

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To me what’s worse is leaving the holes or slots in almost all of the front bumpers. These were most prevalent in 50-60’s cars.

7. You can still run one, just don't need to. Your choice! OK close this one down.:rolleyes: IMG_6787 (2).JPG

nunattax, fauj and Blue One like this.
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No but it’s not really a traditional hot rod type of thing.

And yes I agree, close this thread down.

fauj and Fortunateson like this.
  9. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are we all out of moderators? Who asked you to be in charge?

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes::rolleyes::p:p:D:p:p:p:p:p:p:D

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Guess I won't post my New York 'ASSMAN' plate.

12. voodootruck

voodootruck
    from Germany

13. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Only one collector plate issued in WA state. Year of manufacture plate the same.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

disclaimer: all states have their own DMV rules and laws...

Hello,

In California, there has always been a controversy over installing front license plates. People with smooth front bumpers or those new cars with the plastic/fiberglass bumper/body style just don’t want to ruin a perfectly good smooth front end. So, the controversy stays in place. In talking with a local sheriff: There are more pressing issues to deal with, so they purposely do not pull anyone over for no front plate. Unless, of course, there is an “idiot with a Mustang” peeling out of a local Cars and Coffee event and now, the full vehicle check will be in place along with a moving violation ticket.

The DMV and dealers that had to put up with customers promising to put on the front plate and never do have a way for new cars sold. Each and every new car sold will have a front and rear temporary issued number from the DMV and will be attached to the front and rear from a dealer. No questions asked. They fit the real license plate bracket and have listed numbers on them. They are unusual on new cars and sometimes are mistaken for an out of state plate. But, they are legal and the dealers get out of arguing with new clients about installing the dreaded front plate.

Those temporary plates will stay on until the real plates arrive in the mail. Here is the catch, the holes are drill or the built-in screw holes are there, so, it is expected that the car owner will install the new real license metal plate front and rear. Ha !

Jnaki

For the life of me, front plates are so hard to see in the rear view mirror. From across the street, any person able to read the plate numbers and letters must have telescopic eyes and super vision. So, what good are they? It certainly screws up the flow of air to get that smooth coefficient of drag down to the stylish design parameters.

“Vehicles registered in California must display valid license plates as evidence of current registration. Passenger vehicles display two license plates -- one plate on the front of the car and one plate on the back of the car.”

Vehicle Code 5200 VC – Display of License Plates

CVC 5200 states:

“(a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof, unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.”

What is the penalty of no front license plate?

A license plate display failure ticket will cost around $196.

Cosmo49, jimmy six, LOU WELLS and 2 others like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

probably depends where you live...but these were sort of common, those years that AZ didn't require a front plate. This one is old. And it only looks right on some cars. plate.jpg

desotot, impala4speed, Lil32 and 8 others like this.
  16. There are all kinds of alternatives if you want a front license plates, you can find a car manufacture name, a vintage plate, a state plate or a collage plate, heck even a car club plaque. HRP

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Pull in behind a cop going down the interstate with this and you will have your answer!

upload_2021-3-23_20-48-58.png

18. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

I like old prohibition tags.....on vehicles of that era.

Z_1195_Repeal18thAmendmentPlate_0.jpg mwo,x900,iphone_6s_wallet-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u3.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you actually want to put something there it would seem that the possibilities were somewhat endless.

Just go on Ebay and look up Ohio Novelty plate or novelty license plate and for a few bucks you can have one made with the year model of your car on it.
    Here you go, 10 bucks and you can pick your color and what you want on it.
    eBay item number:

20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

21. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Watch for more states to require them as a revenue grab, the automatic plate readers on highways are set up for them.
    As electric cars become more common I predict plate readers will also so they can estimate mileage and bill you.

Cosmo49, Flathead Dave and 19Eddy30 like this.
  22. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Joe Blow likes this.
  23. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Thanks jnaki for some “no front plate history”. Also to squirrel for your suggestion of the vintage state replacement (my favorite). I like the prohibition plate too, (to old for my cars), and no chop’s example of a club plaque is good too. Keep them coming if you have any other relevant examples.

since I am posting on the HAMB asking for a “custom” solution I am disappointed by all the vanity plate replies. Hope it doesn’t continue to go down there.

jnaki likes this.
  24. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

In Michigan we've never had front plates, so the empty plate spot up front never looked funny to me empty. They're all empty here, lol. I can see how if you're used to seeing on there it looks weird without.

Driver50x likes this.
  25. SAM3 Customs

SAM3 Customs
    from Michigan

FYI - Michigan required front plates until 1981.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

26. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

No shit eh? Well I was born in 76 so probably didn't note the change....

Only required from 57-81, so more time with one than two.... Lol

clem likes this.
  27. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Yeah, they come up on Ebay.....sometimes stupid money and sometimes reasonable for originals. I found mine at a swap meet for 50 bucks. There are a couple of different kinds. There's also an "Uphold the 18th Amendment" plate.....for the teetotaler.;)

28. SAM3 Customs

SAM3 Customs
    from Michigan

Michigan required 2 plates from 1910 - 1943 and 1957 - 1981.
    So more time with 2 plates.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

29. Dennis D

Dennis D

Not enough license plate makers as they are being released from their jobs.........D