Register now to get rid of these ads!

History HURST - HISTORY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D. GLOVER, Apr 19, 2020.

1. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Mark- Yes, we did offer, and sell T-Handles at diff. angles. They were not real popular.

2. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

HURST DUAL / GATE HISTORY
    The "DUAL /GATE" automatic shifter was developed around 1961-62, it was identified as
    the His and Hers shifter, with a key lock. Early units had a yo-yo style shift knob. Al Dual/Gates
    were cable operated, and we started with the Ford, Pontiac, and Mopar products. Some units were
    installed on spl cars, like the Hurst give away T-Bird, and some Pontiacs. Some of the Dual/Gate
    sticks were straight & some were bent back on an angle. The applications for this unit, were; Ford C4,
    C6, GM TH-350, TH-400, Mopar 727 & 904. As time progressed the Dual/ Gate became an OEM
    installation on the Pontiac GP. The 1970 list price was $99.95.

3. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

M S SHIFTER HURST.jpg M S SHIFTER HURST-01jpg.jpg HURST MYSTERY SHIFTER HISTORY
    About 1963 the "MYSTERY SHIFTER" was created. It was apparent that there was a need for
    a lower priced shifter to complement the Hurst line up. The applications would mirror the 3 spd
    Sncro/Loc kits & vehicles. It featured short throws, round chrome stick, that could be shortened,
    or rotated. This was done via a pipe like compression fitting at the top of the stick bottom. We
    used a plain black 1 7/8"knob, with 3/8-24 thds. The mounting brackets, rods, and the arms were
    the same as the S/L parts. There were no stop bolts in the housing. Later we found that the
    compression fitting idea was not the best design,
    Also, when we developed the "MASTER SHIFT" line, we went to a thinner gage steel, from
    11ga. to 12 ga. for the housings, and the shift levers. This was in "MASTER SHIFT" unit.

4. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

IMG_3431 (2).JPG H G-1.jpg
    HURST "HYDRO/GATE" SHIFTER HISTORY
    In the early 1960's Hurst created the "HYDRO/GATE", H/G-1 shifter for the GM
    hydramatic automatic trans. The popularity of this transmission used in drag racing; JR stock, and
    gas class cars, inspired the need for this type shifter. I believe, only hundreds were manufactured.
    It was for the 52-56 dual range trans. and would work with a slant pan or a flat pan style. It was
    released with a heat treated aluminum #2024-T6 bolt-on stick.

Enclosed my never used s/n #00560, (in box). Also, an installation in car.

5. loudbang

loudbang

Had a Mystery Shifter in my 55 Ford 272 and it did indeed have two major problems the first is the compression fitting was ok for just casually driving around town but any hard shifting and the stick would start to swivel.

The major problem was no stops even one or two powershifts and the second gear syncros were gonzo on the old ford three speed. With no stops the syncro rings were forced too far onto the forcing cones and they were wiped out in seconds.

The better shifters were out of my budget so I made some stops (60 something years ago I forget exactly how I did it LOL) and the transmissions lived with powershifting.

6. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Thanks for all of your input Mr. D. Glover.
    This is great stuff.

1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  7. Truckedup

Truckedup

In 1964 as a 16 year old I bought a Mystery shifter from the the House of Chrome in Totowa NJ for my 56 Ford...Does anyone know what is cost was then, sure was a lot of money for a kid in HS...

1Nimrod, Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  8. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

"COMPETITION PLUS 4 SPEED" HISTORY
    The four speed shifter entered the picture around 1961-62. It was when Geo Hurst,
    offered a one thousand dollar bonus to anyone, preferably engineering to develop a
    4 speed shifter, one of of the early engineers put the idea together, later became the
    engineering manager. Once that shifter became reality it changed a whole new market
    for Hurst production, as well as sales. The housing, and most of the parts were 11 ga.
    (.12 thk). The sticks were 3/8" thick, heavy chrome plated. The applications started
    with performance cars in the early sixty's, as well as engine/trans combinations that were
    being put together. The 1968 catalog had 4 pages of competition plus shifter applications.

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I have mentioned this before, but as much as Hurst did for the hot rodding scene , Hurst made a larger impact on Fire Departments world wide. I mention this to give credit where credit is due.
    Up until about the 1970s fire departments used crow bars , hammers , jacks and such to rescue people from wrecked cars. Not very effective.
    The Hurst company developed what has become know as “ the jaws of life” . As a result of this invention, there are now many copies of it on the market.
    There is no telling how many lives the Hurst company can be credited with saving. I venture to guess there are people alive today walking the streets, that were saved by one of these tools, and don’t know how they originated!
    Our Dept has one of the first units and when I retired 9 years ago it was still running, serving as a back up! I know that peticular , 40 + year old machine, has saved lives!
    Thank you Mr. Hurst!

Bones

vtx1800, 1Nimrod, Muttley and 7 others like this.
  10. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

"COMPETITION PLUS 4 SPEED" SUPER SHIFTER- PART (1)
    One of my known contributions was the idea & concept of creating a racing shifter, like
    the Mopar F/X unit, but for the GM cars and transmissions. I wrote an inter office memo,
    (dated 8-26-69 ) and management liked the idea. Geo said, we'll build a qty of 500 units, and
    see how it fits the sales line. It became one of the most popular 4 speeds in Hurst shifter line.
    It was identified as the "SUPER SHIFTER". The concept was to have straight rods, with a
    steel sleeve of tubing crimped over the 1-2, 3-4 shift rods. I had to use a heavy crimp, because
    the rods were hardened steel, and we did not want them to slide. The new mounting plate,
    bolted to the bosses on the trans were elevated to match the termination of the rods, as well
    as the off set. Then created a straight 9" stick, no bends, or off set. After I designed a full
    size layout (see part 2), made parts. I installed the prototype in my Super Stock Chevelle.
    Later we made units for the Ford, and American Motors products.
    See part (2) for more info.

11. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

FX MEMO (3) GOOD.jpeg IMG_3449 (2)-1.JPG IMG_3451 (2)-2.JPG FX SHIFTER ORIG GD (2).jpg FX TRANS & SHIFTER (3) GD.jpeg "SUPER SHIFTER" PART (2)

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

In 1970/71 I bought my first new Hurst shifter, it was the Comp Plus "C" shifter for the T-10 in my 57 BelAir, loved that thing, really solid, no shaking handle, rattles, etc, thought, "man, they don't get any better than this".
    Then around 1974 I built a 65 Malibu bracket racer, 355 small block with a B/W Super T-10 actuated by a Super Shifter, that really was a tight shifter, short throws, and that solid high mount with the short straight handle put it perfectly in the palm of my hand.
    Wish I could say the last two Comp Plus shifters I bought were as tight as those early ones!

13. saltracer219

saltracer219

Man, I sure could use one of those about now!

1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

@D. GLOVER I have a hurst store display with the 3 speed shifters and ford 3 speed trans cases. Did they ever make a store display for the 4 speeds? All the displays I have ever seen are the 3 speed variety

hurst111.JPG

15. @D. GLOVER - really have enjoyed the history of this thread. Can you give any insights into the Hurst wheels?

16. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

In ref; to demo stands, as far as my knowledge goes, couple of years, no 4 speed displays like our 3 speed
    display were created. I think once the word got out years ago about the shifters, marketing thought this type of
    display was not needed. Also, there were so many diff. versions of shifters.

17. GSamson

GSamson

Thank you Mr. Glover for the information on the banner. It's so cool to research and learn about this stuff from people such as yourself that were right there when it was developed!

1Nimrod, loudbang and enloe like this.
  18. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr. Glover , I too would like to thank you for taking the time to share your insight and Hurst knowledge. I was wondering if you could shed some light on this purported proto type magnesium T handle? I got it from another former Hurst employee, who used to sell at Carlisle a few decades ago. 897C5C66-4A8C-41DF-BA16-62EF9F6A527A.jpeg BA31481E-440C-4ABC-80DA-31DFCB229762.jpeg

19. guffey

guffey

hurst banner DSCN3754 (2).JPG I don't know what history it has I bought it at a swap meet probably 15 years ago

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    1Nimrod, mgtstumpy, Muttley and 5 others like this.
  20. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Another piece of info about shifter demo stands, while at Carlisle 2017 or 2018 the new Hurst div. had their
    18 wheeler display of products. I do remember they had a row of different 4 speed shifters setup. As you know
    they are part of the Holley group of products.

1Nimrod, enloe, bowie and 1 other person like this.
  21. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Bowie- I have not herd of an magnesium Hurst T-handle. It does not mean that there was one or some made.
    As you know when we created the shape, and I will not expand on that. They were made from cast alum, then
    they were delivered to Hurst, and we hand polished each one to remove the casting flash. Also, what you have
    looks great. Later I will post a pic of a Alum, as cast.

22. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Looks like a early 1970's Hurst Banner we setup at race events, we did not sell them as I know. Some were
    given away, and some were collected by fans. That is a great car, I do remember it. Lot of bikes.

23. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Yes, I will give some insider info on the Hurst Dazzler wheels, a little later. Want to get my notes together, and
    pics.

1Nimrod, Sting Ray, enloe and 3 others like this.
  24. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

HURST PISTOL GRIP STICK HISTORY-
    HURST PISTOL GRIP.jpg
    Around 1969-1970, we were contacted by Chrysler Corp. about an OEM pistol grip shifter,
    drawings and info. was sent to Hurst Perf. for us to marry their design of a pistol grip handle to
    our existing Hurst style stick and shifter. This would be for the Cuda and Belvedere series body
    styles, w/ console, and wo/ console. Our manual stick shift handles were all 3/8" thick steel.
    The design for Chrysler pistol grip handle called for a steel sandwich piece between the two
    plastic grip handles, had to be 5/16" thick. We in turn had a steel piece 5/16" thk created by a
    special die, to match the shape of the plastic grip pieces. This part was welded to the lower
    portion of the shifter stick. After welding, the weldment was ground smooth and sent out to
    be chrome plated. Upon return a chrome plated bezel was attached to the top of the handle,
    by way of a staking operation, next a another chrome part was fastened, to cover the welded
    area where two pieces were welded together. This was held in place with a roll pin through
    the thickness of the 5/16" portion. The two grip handle pieces were fastened with three
    sheet metal screws. Then the shift pattern emblem was placed at the top with double sided
    tape. The console sticks had a very crazy shape to them, because Chrysler wanted the stick to
    protrude in the very middle of the console. If I can recall all of the parts were made locally
    per specs from Chrysler.

1Nimrod, mgtstumpy, SuperRob and 4 others like this.
  25. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

HURST WHEEL INFO HISTORY - 1

- THE WHEEL WAS INTRODUCED JAN. 1965 @ MOTOR TREND NASCAR RACE
    - GEO HURST WANTED A SUPER STRONG WHEEL
    - THE MOST POPULAR "MAG" WHEELS WERE; KEYSTONE, CRAGER, ROCKETS
    - THE HURST WHEEL HAD A FORGED ALUM CTR SECTION, "SPIDER" THAT WAS MFGR
    BY HARVEY ALUMINUM
    - THE RIM WAS STEEL MFGR BY KELSEY-HAYES, 14" X 6"
    - IT WAS VERY STRONG AND HEAVY
    - BOLT PATTERNS WERE: 5 X 4.5", 5 X 4.75", 5 X 5"
    - APPLICATIONS COVERED MANY AMERICAN VECHICLES
    - STEEL CHROME TRIM RINGS, WERE HELD IN PLACE BY SPRINGS, INSIDE OF SPIDER,
    LATER WE ELIMINATED THE SPRINGS
    - 1968 DISCONTINUED PRODUCTION, MFGR COSTS, AND LOW SALES
    - WE STARTED TO SCRAP THE WHEELS, STAMPED A LARGE "S" ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE
    SPIDER, SENT TO LANDFILL. SOME PEOPLE FOUND THESE, AND WERE GRINDING OFF
    THE "S".
    - SO WE THEN BURNED THRU W / TORCH ONE, OR TWO OF THE SPOKES BEFORE DISCARDING
    - THEY WERE ORIGINALLY SHIPPED IN A STEEL DRUM, 2 EACH CAN
    - LATER WE CHANGED TO AN OCTAGON CARDBOARD BOX, 1 EACH
    - DENNIS KERBAN, BECAME A WELL KNOWN EXPERT ON THE HURST WHEELS.

26. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

HURST WHEEL INFO HISTORY - 2

ENCLOSED TWO PHOTOS: ONE NEW SET(4) THAT I PURCHASED AND SOLD, WITH
    ONE CAN. THE OTHER PHOTO IS A RECENT WHEEL CAN THAT I GAVE TO DENNIS KIRBAN
    IN 2017.

EPSON003 (2).JPG Hurst Wheel Can.JPG

1Nimrod, Muttley, Elcohaulic and 2 others like this.
  27. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Mr. Glover for your insight, in the other thread; in regards to barrel type 4 speed shifters. I believe that would lead me to say this is the original design Comp Plus 4spd unit. Due to it being a square top handle with the Hurst name in a straight line: AF91D3A0-3966-4BC3-A140-A8565DFD3DD4.jpeg 4B985A44-2506-4051-9CF9-BE0996D47024.jpeg FB1E19DB-D669-4C4D-AFA9-766DC7071417.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    1Nimrod, mgtstumpy, enloe and 2 others like this.
  28. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The second version of the Comp Plus, still has the square top on the handle, but the Hurst script changed to ; on a curve : 138C9FB8-FE40-4046-8BEF-9290268EDAB1.jpeg BC9C3EFB-9A09-4A6C-8579-94C37E716D0A.jpeg C5CF82D4-D424-416D-8B88-496AF06195C8.jpeg

29. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The third , and most familiar version of the Comp Plus; switch’s to the taper top handle with the big letter script on the curve . This style is what most guys recognize, and was used a few years; until the small script came out. The small script version, is after the HAMB era... so I won’t show any of them : F69167B4-014A-45CF-A21A-DD1132B84D7E.jpeg
    2C475316-94B8-4BDD-B60C-35E71D930C23.jpeg 0768A249-393A-4838-8FA3-CCEE167CDEC6.jpeg

1Nimrod, mgtstumpy, enloe and 3 others like this.
  30. D. GLOVER

D. GLOVER
    from pa

Bowie- Thanks for your info, will reply shortly. A couple days, in middle of a couple projects.
    Regards,