Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Images of vintage gas stations ~ pre 65

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 17, 2016.

1. hudson48

hudson48

2. Very cool, thanks for taking the time.:cool::cool: JW

fnqvmuch and loudbang like this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

4. hudson48

hudson48

A few more from Australia
    This place is still there but not operating anymore.
    Europa Motors Albion Brisbane.jpg Ipswich Qld.jpg Tasmania.jpg

5. loudbang

loudbang

Gathering these photos it's amazing just how many different brands of fuel there were back in the day and even some from the guys down in OZ. :)

6. loudbang

loudbang

7. loudbang

loudbang

8. hudson48

hudson48

A few more from Australia. Note the first picture and cars in the showroom and then the second picture with the Studebaker and Valiant enlarged. The third photo the servo is just visible on far right.The last one is captioned as the largest filling station in the world?The line of pumps is on the far right hand side Birkin Motors 1.jpg Birkin Motors 2.jpg Braddon Canberra.jpg Central Square Sydney 1948.jpg Eden NSW.jpg Golden Fleece Nowra NSW 1964.jpg Koroit Garage.jpg Parramatta Sydney 1936.jpg Worlds largest Filling Station Sydney 1938.jpg

9. hudson48

hudson48

And a few more
    First one is Parramatta in western Sydney. Second is Pennant Hills Sydney and third Western Australia Parramatta Sydney 1936.jpg Pennant Hills Sydney.jpg Western Australia.jpg

Lepus, TFoch, Ron Funkhouser and 3 others like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

11. hudson48

hudson48

Some more Aussie ones 159158662_1106320756539972_7605886160768401328_o.jpg Geelong Victoria.jpg Holbrook early 50's.jpg Moffats Garage Redcliffe Qld.jpg North Mackay Qld.jpg

TFoch, Jalopy Joker, HJmaniac and 2 others like this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

13. hudson48

hudson48

More Aussie pictures
    Balmain NSW.jpg
    The first Holdens in Australia including a utility version out front. General Motors Dealership Taree NSW.jpg Mowbray Park Brisbane.jpg

14. loudbang

loudbang

15. loudbang

loudbang

16. hudson48

hudson48

17. hudson48

hudson48

Found some interesting stuff on the Aussie Old Service Stations. Someone posted a picture of an old Service Station and I realised it was one just a few hundred yards from where I lived. I walked past it each day on the way to primary school and back home.It was run by the McCallum Family. The pictures shown here are a bit before my time but up until about 1960 it was much the same. In the second photo you can see a driveway down to space below the "office" upstairs. When I was about 10 or 11 there was a couple of old tourers sitting down there and I think the one in the second photo
    could be one of them.
    They were later acquired by a pair of brothers who lived nearby and they got them going. Around 1960 the old building came down and a "new" servo built there. I worked in the new one(last photo) in my teens as a driveway attendant doing gas,windscreens, check oil and water etc. We had the then modern coin pump that would let you buy gas after hours, Took 20 cent pieces and sometimes broke down and it just pumped for free:D.
    Back in the early days McCallums had an old 1920's Rolls Royce sedan sitting out the front. It wasn't going for some time as it broke an axle. The story was old man McCallum wrote to Rolls Royce to purchase an axle and they sent one free of charge with the note "Rolls Royce's don't break axles"
    McCallums Garage Bardon 2.jpg McCallums Garage Bardon 1.jpg Old servo 1.jpg

Lepus, ClayMart, TFoch and 6 others like this.
  18. hudson48

hudson48

And a separate one from our area. I don't remember this one but the Paddington Hotel is next door on the left. It was a beautiful late 1800's 2 storey colonial building with awnings over the footpath. I remember it had pressed metal ceilings in the main bar and in one corner was a bullet hole from some incident that happened there one night. It is now gone and a modern tavern is there.
    Nice Buick Woody in the picture. Collingwood Garage.jpg

Lepus, ClayMart, TFoch and 6 others like this.
  19. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. hudson48

hudson48

The Aussie FB page has been busy and I have collected a few more. Elders 1.jpg Elders 2.jpg Adelaide June 1954.jpg Ballarat Victoria.jpg Fingal Motor Garage.jpg Floods 1961 Shell in background.jpg Grote Street, Adelaide 1924.jpg Haigs Garage Mt Gambier South Australia.jpg Halls Gap Grampians.jpg Harold Weaver's Willaston South Australia.jpg Inala near Brisbane Qld.jpg Kapunda.jpg Main Street, Peterborough, SA. 1948.jpg Mount Gambier South Australia.jpg Mt Gambier Service section 1950.jpg Pirie St Adelaide 1960.jpg Port Road, Woodville, SA..jpg Saddleworth South Australia.jpg Tow Truck.jpg Victor Harbor South Austrlia Easter 1940.jpg

22. hudson48

hudson48

Something a little different but Old Service Station related. My wife is an avid "Garage Saler" and yesterday picked up this map that some Aussie traveller used back in the day. It is a Rand McNally map and produced for Whiting Bros. Mid 50's maybe with 56 Chev and Lincoln on the front Highway Map Whiting Bros 1 (Medium).jpg Highway Map Whiting Bros 2.jpg

23. loudbang

loudbang

24. loudbang

loudbang

25. hudson48

hudson48

I didn't do my research on this but now know that this is actually an American location. Bynum-Stephens were located in Murfreesboro TN. However the reason I thought it was Australian is that we had a similiar tow truck here in Brisbane that was operated by Barnes Auto whose slogan was
    "We never Sleep". Their building in the City was the site of the first petrol bowser in Brisbane. When we would go to town on a Friday night to "do a lap" and we needed fuel the Barnes Auto was always open and actually the servo and pumps were inside the building.
    Barnes Auto Tow Truck.jpg Barnes Auto.png

Mark Hinds, TFoch, Hamtown Al and 4 others like this.
  26. hudson48

hudson48

A few more Aussie ones. Perth Western Aust,Dandenong Ranges Victoria and Warragamba in that order. In the first one all Aussie cars except one "Hitlers Revenge" on the front row. Holdens and one Valiant and one Falcon in the front and I see a Toyota Corona at the back pumps.
    Ampol Perth.jpg Dandenong Ranges Victoria.jpg
    36 Ford 4 Door sedan and a Holden ute. Warragamba.jpg

27. Updated: Distinctive Bynum – Stevens Tow Truck Offers 23 1/2 Hour Service | The Old Motor

Updated: Distinctive Bynum – Stevens Tow Truck Offers 23 1/2 Hour Service

April 23, 2020

Unique tow and service trucks owned by garages and dealerships have long served as rolling billboards for the establishments that own them, although this particular rig rates near the all time top of the list of eye-catching tow trucks.

It served in this capacity for the Bynum-Stevens Motor Co., a Pontiac Dealer located in Murfreesboro, TN, in the 1930s and possibly later. While the bodywork on this truck could have been constructed by a professional body-building firm, the general lack of compound curves leaves one to believe that it could have been built by a clever craftsman, in the Company’s body shop.

Gene Herman, who found the image at Vintage Wreckers, believes the wheels are Ford. Further investigation reveals that the tip of the front fender and the front axle wishbone support visible underneath it also points to the possibility of it being based on a Ford truck chassis.

Please share with us what you find of interest in this image by Lively Photo.

Updates below: We have heard from two people that live in the Murfreesboro area with connections to this unusual machine.

James Patterson: “The wrecker was custom built at Bynum-Stephens Motor Company that was located at 407 West College Street. They used a 1935 Ford truck chassis and a 1926 Lincoln V-8 engine. It had a three drum hoisting machine with power take off. My Grandfather Fred G. Patterson was a mechanic there.”

Mary Lee: “This tow truck was hand-built by my grandfather J.C. Bynum and was said to be the only wrecker for hundreds of miles that could tow a semi-truck.”

28. [​IMG]
    St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada.

29. hudson48

hudson48

More Aussie. The Golden Fleece is an interesting Australian icon.
    "You may remember fuel brand Golden Fleece, run by H. C. Sleigh, but did you know that their ram logo was inspired by the real champion ram (shown below).
    He was known as David of Dalkeith: champion of the Sydney Sheep Show in 1930.
    Golden Fleece.jpg
    The next 2 in Glenn Innes show the servo in 1960 and its original building in the 20's. In the 1960 picture is an FJ Holden Panel Van circa 54/55. If yiou could find one now it would be $thousands.
    Glenn Innes 1960.jpg Glenn  Innes.jpg
    The rest are just a collection of service stations around Australia and one inside a Ford dealership in the late 30's
    Ford Dealership Adelaide.jpg baroona rd Milton Brisbane.jpg Hindmarsh Adelaide.jpg Indooroopilly Brisbane.jpg Mt Gambier South Australia.jpg Princes Highway and Eton Street, Sutherland NSW.jpg

30. hudson48

hudson48

More Aussie stuff. First 2 are a service station using ingenuity during. a power failure
    Ramsgate no electricity 1.jpg Ramsgate no electricity 2.jpg Wouldn't we like to see those fuel prices now. We have ridiculous price cycles by the oile companies(actually price gouging) and you have to ry to buy at low end. At the mpment 98 that I use in most cars is around 1.80 per litre. That is $7.20 a gallon to you guys.
    Fuel prices.jpg
    This one brings back memories of my wayward teens. The all night Chemist(Pharmacy) was a stop to pick up some "rubbers" in case you got lucky that night. Hardly ever happened of course. Some really interesting cars in that picture that was a bit before my time in the 60's.
    Ann and Boundary Streets Brisbane.jpg
    The rest are just a few more Aussie ones. Coffs Harbour.jpg Hacking Motors, Ford dealer in Coffs Harbour, taken in 1937..jpg Laffan Bros Garage.jpg Princes Hwy.jpg Seymour Service Station.jpg Shepparton 1.jpg Shepparton Motor Garage 1919.jpg

wicarnut, Lepus, TFoch and 5 others like this.