Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Spare Parts Speedster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Leon Sandcastle, Sep 20, 2020.

1. I was given quite the surprise earlier, a 1940's euclid heavy truck seat; the seat pictured is the same style, I just didn't get pics of it today... its a nice addition to the other parts, including the 1940's divco steering wheel and column. DD6487J.jpeg DD6487H.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    winduptoy and rudestude like this.
  2. Small update, but kinda huge for me... I took the police partition and cut it up. I took the hoop and cut it down to help reinforce the frame since its a cut up frame. I'll weld it all up soon, right now there's more cutting, grinding, and adding brackets for the quarter elliptical springs, and a traverse spring up front. I am ditching the radius bar up front for a pair of threaded tubes, heim joints, and tie rod ends. I also grabbed the seat from the euclid truck and took the pedestal off the bottom so I could fit it to where I want it. I also found some headlight buckets and mounted them to the old rear crossmember, and got a new Model A style taillight. 20200925_152729.jpeg 20200925_152751.jpeg

3. guitarguy

guitarguy

Very interesting.

I don't know if I've ever seen someone use the rear crossmember as a front one. But it doesn't make a bunch of sense to me if your not using it for a transverse spring. Guess I'll have to stay tuned, but I like the rear view pic above.

P.S., I would LOVE to have that radiator. Two of my other cars have honeycombs, but only a regular one for my Gow Job.

winduptoy and Leon Sandcastle like this.
  4. The crossmember is actually beat up pretty bad, but its good enough to add a spring perch to the top of, which will lower the front considerably, which combined with the rear, should make it low enough to handle corners. The rear came to me as I was trying to firgure out what to do to stiffen up the frame. The crown vic partition is made of roll cage material for obvious reasons, and as i had one laying around in my home garage, I decided to cut it up and use it for the T. I have brackets that slide in the former bottom of the partition, so those too will be welded in, and I'll drill holes in the frame to bolt it in there too... the leftover tube from the partition will end up as the front motor mount and also bolt in via brackets, but those brackets will also wrap the framerails in a U shape. I'm willing to make the frame very stiff since it's getting quarter elliptical springs in the rear, and I'm literally going to be at the rear of the car. All I have to do now is figure where to place the gas tank and battery, add the frame spring brackets, and tie rod brackets. Then the rear axle spring pads will be welded on, and I'll rebuild the rear axle, front axle, and get the chassis in rolling state.

guitarguy likes this.
  5. Finished the radiator shell for the most part... it got its coat of primer sealer. It started as a 24 overland radiator shell that had been beat to hell and back... I had to weld up a spot that had ripped, and a ton of dent repair. I got it close to smooth, and then laid some filler to fill the worst of the pitting, sanded it smooth, fill primered, and glaze puttied to get it as smooth as I could, sanded again, fill primer again, wet sanded with 800, primer sealed. Massive improvement from the rusty discarded shell that was in a scrap pile, and I still have the original overland radiator badge. Image~2.jpeg

winduptoy likes this.
  6. winduptoy likes this.
  7. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

I'm sure glad you came back with a pic. of the shell. I was afraid I was going to have a Sunday morning lack of picture problem!!!! I like something different! The top and tapered side look similar to a 24 Chevy, but the bottom corners are by themselves. Great Save!

winduptoy and Leon Sandcastle like this.
  8. Overland shells are pretty cool... the overland chassis is even cooler, its 4 quarter elliptical springs, 2 in the front, 2 in the rear at roughly 45° angles... wish I could get one.

caseywheels and winduptoy like this.
  9. Not much if an update, but I did get a Model A steering column/box, pitman arm, Model A dual steering arm, Model A intake, crank bearing caps, front motor mount, spring bushings, front spring perch to be welded to the rear crossmember, and some odds and ends.... I also got a victory medal from WW1, and ordered a replica set of WW1 dogtags that have my great-grandfathers name, rank, serial number, and unit on them... figured it would be a cool bit of accessories as a keychain... the man was friends with Bob Hope, Bob Evans, and I don't even know how many powerful people of the first half of the 20th century...

winduptoy likes this.
  10. Small update. Radiator shell is finished painted, as is the seat. I tried upholstery for the first time recycling leather from an old couch, so it has durability (yes you can make fun of the work if you wish). Bought some studebaker pickup springs that I will cut down for my rear springs ($25) for the pair, and bought a fuel cap ($30) for my tank when I decide to build it. I also got the frame tacked up last week and began my steering mounting for the model a steering box and column. Next up is brackets as the studebaker springs have brackets to mount to the frame, I have other brackets I will use for the "split wishbones" and hopefully have a rolling chassis by snowfall. I am moving my street van project to my father's body shop to finish up that soon, and my MG is body/paint/odds and ends, this will give me time to work on the speedster at home. 20201017_174112.jpeg 20201017_174123.jpeg 20201017_174135.jpeg 20201017_174152.jpeg

ratrodrodder and winduptoy like this.
  11. Got my filler neck today.... its amazing how I called one hot rod shop and they said it was $45 out of steel, called my local plumbing supply store, showed the the cap, they grabbed a machined pressure piece that it made from stainless, and it was $14... as I am building one due to space limitations, this will be perfect.

ratrodrodder likes this.
  12. Almost finished with the frame modifications, and waiting on engine parts, so I decided to refurbish this 17 inch wheel. Sanded it down, refinished the wood, did a minor polishing to the spider earlier this week, and then decided to spend the better part of the day wrapping my wheel with cotton cord just in case it rains. 20201128_233219.jpeg

13. Not much of an update, the winter has me shut in the home for the most part. Bought a 37 rear axle, a T5 from a Jeep, T hood, most of the engine parts, and various other parts. I am making adapters for the engine to trans, etc. Hopefully I can have a better update once this weather breaks.

Shadow Creek and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Raided my late great grandfather's shop today and picked up a "new" Wizard gas cap and other stuff from his Western Auto Parts stash from his time as a dealer in the late 50's and early 60's. Since its getting warmer, I'll be assembling my rear axle, finishing the frame, and getting it to roller status soon. Just waiting on the rear backing plates and wheel bearings. Image%20(2).jpeg

winduptoy likes this.
  15. marc billen

marc billen
    from lakeside

Leon Sandcastle likes this.
  16. Thanks, I appreciate it. It's been some hard work to get here.

17. Have almost all the parts to get the 30's Ford rear axle rolling (waiting on bearings), going to pickup a 33 front axle tomorrow, and have a engine and transmission ready to bolt in... hopefully next weekend I can have something rolling, possibly almost ready to drive.

winduptoy likes this.