Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Replacing wavy (Plymouth?) axle to traditional 4" drop axle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FIN Flat, Mar 21, 2021.

1. FIN Flat

FIN Flat

Hi all,

I have '32 Ford Tudor with wavy front axle on it. I'd like to replace it with common 4 inch I beam drop axle because the wavy one is too wide. What is Your opinion, do I have to change king pins or other parts also?
    I'm pretty sure, that "wavy" axle is from late 30's Plymouth's front end. Do You identify it?

Thanks,
    Juho
    Finland

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Late 30s Plymouth/Dodge had a forged I beam axle but it was bent in the middle for engine clearance. I wonder if yours could be from an early 30s Chrysler Dodge or Plymouth, they had a tubular axle. But they had parallel leaf springs not the Ford style cross spring. Someone may have modified some kind of Chrysler product axle to fit. I doubt spindles would interchange with Ford. Any idea when the axle may have been installed or when the car was built? The only reason I can think of for using a Chrysler axle is they had hydraulic brakes years before Ford.

3. That wavy axle is cool. Always liked them. Do you have any pics of the whole car? I would be inclined to keep it

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Axle, spindles, brake kit is what you will need. I changed one out that was bent, problem was I spent time and money converting it to disk using all new ford escape parts. It's still laying in my garage in the way. You'll also have to change your steering arms and steering.

5. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

33 Plymouth, I believe

Attached Files:

6. FIN Flat

FIN Flat

Thanks guys!
    Seems not so simple to change just the axle.. That front axle is two-three inches too wide. It just looks stupid when rear axle is so much narrower. Maybe I have to spread that with spacers or something..
    The car has built here in Finland about twelve years ago.

Juho

Attached Files:

7. I would run wider rear wheels and tires on the rear and be done with it.

8. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

9. Recommending to try the rear wheel spacers first. The wider width stance will look neat, in my opinion.

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Tell them it;s a pontiac. (Wide Track) lol

11. woodscaper

woodscaper

Disc brake kit didn't help either, maybe front wheels with more backspacing will pull the fronts in some, helps with scrub radius too. I had that on my 39.

FIN Flat likes this.
  12. That tubular front axle and spindles look like 37/38 Plymouth & Dodge or possibly the standard model 1939 Plymouth..........I am unaware of a late 30's mopar I beam axle tho' the pickup trucks may have had one I suppose..............andyd.

13. dwollam

dwollam

'36 Dodge pickups used I beams. I have a '36 and have had 3 '36 pickups total. I have a '38 Dodge car wavy axle in my '33 Plymouth. I also have a couple '33 axles, yours looks more like '33 than '38. '38 uses larger bolts for the steering arms through the spindle.

Dave

FIN Flat likes this.
  14. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

36 plymouth or dodge have the wavy front axel years before and after are independent suspension

15. FIN Flat

FIN Flat

Thank you all so far!
    I got good advices and information. This is so great forum! Now I only have to decide what to do..

16. dwollam

dwollam

'34 mopar was their 1st independent. '35-'38 went back to straight axle. '39 went back to independent.

Dave