Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Portland Roadster Show 2021

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 30tudor, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Is it is or is it isn't going on? Any news about getting in? Thanks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. No show, it has been cancelled for the year. I am a member of the MHRC and they had to cancel months ago and to be honest there is really no word if it will ever return at this point. There are heavy rumors the city is looking to sell the expo and the MHRC and the city burned the bridge for the convention center after the ticket fiasco.

chryslerfan55 and 30tudor like this.
  4. I have heard conflicting stories on the Swap Meet coming back to the Expo center for 2022 (2021 canceled) . The race track sounds like it may happen but Expo is a ? No more parking at the meadows either.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Portland sounds live a real progressive city. My daughter lives outside Portland and they avoid going into town at all costs.

TA DAD, 49ratfink, j3harleys and 9 others like this.
  6. Thanks guys.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I too live just a short distance from town and was also a member of the MHRC twice over the years and for the most part it was the Roadster Show and the Portland Swap Meet that gave me a reason to go to town.
    I first attended the Roadster Show as a 16 year old in 1970 after moving here from a small Willamette Valley town and as I've said before, I thought I had died and gone to heaven.
    Hope the MHRC can keep such a storied tradition alive!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Roadster show was one of our weekend get away as a couple things for years but the last time I was in down Portland was the last time period. I was down there twice last year but neither time did I have to go it to down town Portland.
    That from the guy who grew up in the town that many people considered to be the roughest town in the PNW from the 40's though the 60's. We had 24 taverns in a town of 5000 people then and there were a half dozen that you didn't step foot in unless you figured to end up in a fight.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Oldb like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

To keep this thread alive I vote to stay on topic.

LOU WELLS, XXL__, nosford and 2 others like this.
  10. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I hope it continues. It would be quite a loss to lose a local show that has been going on for decades. The way things are in this area though....it wouldn't surprise me. :(

30tudor likes this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have entered several cars in the PRS, have a few trophies for my effort and I think it safe to say I have never missed one in the last 40 years. I remember asking a pretty, young girl to attend the show with me as a first date 30 years ago. She refused, said she "doesn't go to Portland". I didn't give up, been married to her for 24 years this Monday.

Oh, she ended up attending several PRS's with me over the years but still doesn't like going to Portland. Chicks! :rolleyes:

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I attend the Portland Roadster Show about every 3-4 years as they don't enforce their own rules about cars being re-entered every year. The rule states that unless a car has had significant changes it can't be in the show again for I believe 3 years? Yet I see many cars there every year, over and over, unchanged. I finally gave up, and stopped going each year.
    Now the Expo and PIR swap meets I truly and dearly miss!

13. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I couldn't agree more....spring just isn't the same without the swap meet. It's the kick off to car season for me.

14. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I have not lived up there since the 1980's. Is the Memorial Coliseum still in business? The first shows I went to in the 1960's were held in the annex at ground level on the south end

Bandit Billy likes this.
  15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, the Memorial Coliseum is still being used, but mostly for small venues like conventions.

16. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Portland made their bed and now they will have to sleep in it.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "glass palace" would make a nice retro venue for the PRS.

SR100 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I started going to PRS in 1963, and it was very exciting, it wasn't until 1978 when I entered a T-Touring. As the years passed, I enjoyed displaying race cars, and watched the management change. To me, the best show was 2001, when John Corno was in charge, as I remember there were 500 entries. Over the 4 days, we fully assembled a Track Roadster I had built for Lonnie Gilbertson. The climax was having Indy Veteran Len Sutton fire the engine for the large crowd gathered around. The MHR took the management away from John, and I haven't displayed a car since, and only attended one show. For me, the thrill is gone ! Roadster Show 1.jpg

19. dwollam

dwollam

Portland Swap meet at the Expo is off for this year for sure. Website says on for 2022.

Dave

20. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Question is....will there be a Portland in 2022?

21. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if there wasn't a Portland next year.The question one has to ask ,though, is where would that mess land?

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cripes all mighty guys, keep perspective to the thread!

XXL__ likes this.
  23. My grandpa and I were talking about that on Friday, it would be neat to put on a traditional indoor show for era correct cars down in the basement as a neat throwback to the old days. I know Taboo has had to navigate the columns many times over the years there. I never got to go to a show there. I was born right as they moved to the convention center.

24. uncle buck

uncle buck

Last year the website said it would be back in 2021...... just saying

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. greg37

greg37
    from mi.

Right now that's one of the last places I'd want to visit !!

loudbang likes this.
  26. Oilguy

Oilguy

I see the Portland Boat Show this week is a go. Wonderful. You can buy a boat in a crowd but you can't go look at cars on display.

27. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The two times we went to Portland, one was to see the giant swap meet at the raceway and just up the street, another giant antiques swap meet. Both venues had been planned on one weekend and the rooms were booked up for at least a 100 miles north or south. We drove south for 125 miles stopping at intersections showing motels and they were all booked. It was disappointing, but we told ourselves, Next year…etc and kept driving south. Finally, we found one in Roseburg and got a peaceful nights rest for the southward trek to San Francisco.

The second time was for the Portland Roadster Show and again, no reservations for miles. So, we went North towards the San Juan Islands area and finally found a place in Olympia, Washington.

Our most recent trip to Portland was not for any show or event. We just flew in to the Portland Airport and stayed in Vancouver, Washington across the Colombia River. Our goal was to rent a sailboat and sail around the Columbia River from East to West Portland. But, after seeing how fast the current was flowing, and how much it took to get from one short distance to another, we decided to take a road trip to out the Columbia River to Maryhill for some sights and a different adventure.

We have been in currents and waves out in the ocean and going against the wind isn’t the most efficient way to get from Point A to Point B without a million “tacking” maneuvers. We watched a fairly big sailboat doing 10 different tacking moves while we were walking toward the I-5 bridge on the Vancouver, Washington side pathway. We were going faster than that large sailboat.

upload_2021-3-28_5-12-15.png
    The outgoing tide as shown with the buoy… the incoming tide is just as fast and strong… so…

Jnaki
    upload_2021-3-28_5-13-27.png
    For you guys living in or near Portland, it is a nice place to visit, has a lot of cool stuff to see and enjoy…but, we would not want to live there permanently. The whole week we were in Vancouver, Washington and on our side road trips, we did not see any cool hot rods, but several old trucks in varying stages of completion, but, running on some errands or two.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/optimism-old-cars.1221485/page-2#post-13960174

These days, it is a lot more hectic during the pandemic than most places. So, we will just fly through, the next time we are going to the San Juan Islands. But, sadly, it won’t be for quite some time until it is all clear to travel. YRMV
    upload_2021-3-28_5-16-3.png Vista Point

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, somebody explain to me how the boat show, and Sportsman's shows can go on inside the same venue, but the Portland swap meet at the Expo and PIR that's mostly outside couldn't happen? That's total bullshit!

Oilguy and woodyTom like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

jnaki
    Next trip north let me know if you have trouble finding a room near PDX.
    I have a futon you can use, I've never tried it so can't say how comfortable it is but it won't be $179/night either.

jnaki likes this.
  30. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

We went thru the same venue problem this year with out 48th annual car show. The rules the city put forth were just to insurmountable for us to have the show yet before and after our scheduled dates there were several other events that were held and they continue to have events. I guess we were to easy to get along with. My daughter lives near Portland but I wouldn't want to go to Portland proper, not my cup of tea.