Register now to get rid of these ads!

History HAMB - STILL THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 21, 2021.

1. With all the waling and gnashing of teeth lately about the sudden & unexpected lack of communication from the staff at The Rodders Journal as to lifetime subscribers and the future of TRJ it very well be the death nail for the publication.

I remember Ryan mentioned in on of his post years ago that print as we know it is on it's last leg (not the exact words but that was the jest of his statement)

Since that time several good automotive magazines have folded they doors and closed shop, Rod & Custom folded came back and folded again, at that time many of us subscribed and others purchased there copies at the newsstand.

The point I am trying to make is Ryan predicted the demise of print a long time ago, As a visionary of sorts Ryan built this amazing site.

This site is basically free to anyone that want's to use it, granted Ryan later started to offer a Alliance Membership for members that wanted to help make it better for everyone and that has helped him upgrade the servers and improve the site over the years.

The Hamb is alive and well and continues to get better. HRP

2. midroad

midroad

Imagine trying to put all the information on the HAMB into a magazine. Impossible!

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The truth hurts. The economics of printing and mailing a magazine just don't make sense for a large media company and it may not be viable for a small one, either. At the end of the day, these businesses have to make a decent return on investment for their investor(s) and that is increasingly hard to do. How does your local newspaper look, compared to 20 years ago? 10 years ago?

chryslerfan55, seadog, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  4. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Joining the H.A.M.B. as a Alliance member is cheap for the knowledge gained.

5. The print is smaller, the price is higher and the size of the paper is smaller and there is very few pages, it's so small it want even line a decent size parakeet cage. :rolleyes: HRP

6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So far EVERYONE who has responded to this post so far is an Alliance Member:D

I'm a reasonably FNG, and from the start, I realized the value of this site...and wanted to support it by becoming an Alliance Member. I guess I just don't undertstand why more folks who USE the HAMB, don't care enough, and/or don't make an effort to actually support the HAMB...it's only a measly $50 a year

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Just a single buy from an Alliance vendor can easily recoup the $50 from the discounts offered by those vendors. As much as we all like to use vintage parts there is still a lot of new stuff you end up buying.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. modagger

modagger

The only reason to buy our local newspaper anymore is to wrap fish guts. It’s only an excuse to repackage mostly national news stories. Oh, and the weather forecast. “Tonight will be dark, followed by increasing light”.

Now the H.A.M.B., I have referred to it as the “Fount of Knowledge”, the “Well of Wisdom”, because even a casual visitor will be amazed at the knowledge, camaraderie and unselfish willingness to help. I spread “the gospel” every chance I get.

9. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Years ago a good friend of mine that is a very well known car magazine editor told me the print magazine was doomed. The HAMB and the Ford Barn have been a Godsend to us all.

10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And they have few local journalists on staff. More and more it is made up of articles off the wire service.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. mickeyc

mickeyc

All this may very well be true. However the Rodders Journal did not hesitate
    to accept my payment for a new subscription. I am thinking I wasted that money. I did get one issue so far. Time will tell.

12. This thread is not about TRJ, it's about the Hamb, You can choose to use the hamb & ask questions and gather information and it doesn't cost you one thin dime or you can choose to join the Alliance and for the money spent you can make that back in discount's from Allianve vendors.. HRP

13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just got my latest issue of Hemmings. Seems like it has been getting smaller for a while. Down to 2/3 or thereabouts of what it used to be. I guess even the "bible" is facing the issues that all of print media is.

14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

My friend @drdave told me about the HAMB 15 years ago and I checked it out and joined. I may never meet Ryan ( I was unable to be at the Stray Kat 500 the year he was there, one of the very few SK500s I have missed) but I will forever be indebted to him for what he has created.

15. Imagine if all the members became alliance members. Wait, Ryan might buy an island leave us to fend for ourselves
    Becoming an Alliance Member just makes me feel like I am contributing to the cause. If I can only remember to use the discount feature.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  16. modagger

modagger

“but I will forever be indebted to him for what he has created.”

And let the congregation say......Amen!

17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You do know I'm a preacher, right?

18. modagger

modagger

Didn’t know that. Apologies if I have offended.

19. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Quite the opposite! Your comment was perfect!

20. modagger

modagger

Whew! Thank......, uh, I better quit while I’m ahead.

21. The HAMB is my go-to place every day for everything vintage HotRod, mainly to see what folks who are way more talented than me are working on. It is encouraging to see guys dealing with challenges and sharing a wealth of knowledge and experience that is not to be found anywhere else.
    I also use it for a parts source, and have picked up some great deals. I also used it to sell my roadster and buy a car. Heck yeah, I’m an Alliance member! It’s worth it.
    Thanks Ryan!

51504bat likes this.
  22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

There are exceptions to every rule. Right now it is WHEEL HUB publishing out of Dallas.

23. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I enjoy this site very much. I have been an Alliance Member for years. I don't anticipate that changing anytime soon.

24. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

It would take a large library to hold all the knowledge available here.

partsdawg likes this.
  25. This board is truly the best hot rod resource going. Met a ton of folks I now call friends in the 20+ years I have been on here.

26. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I decided the minute I got $50 worth from the HAMB I would become an Alliance member. It took about 3 minutes. Every year I Do the same exercise. It's still paying me to be here.

I have saved thousands of wasted dollars by learning what I needed prior to doing it, finding a resource for a weird part, locating a shipper... the list is endless. This group is a wealth of knowledge.

Stock Racer, Baumi and guthriesmith like this.
  27. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All valid points in my opinion. More information than one can handle for $50/year? Cheap.

Stock Racer likes this.
  28. You guys are 100% correct and I really need to renew my alliance membership. :oops: The amount of information I have gleaned from this place as well as all the good friends that I have made over the years and the money I have saved is nothing compared to a mere $50 a year. Thanks for the reminder.

Nostrebor and 1stGrumpy like this.
  29. I don't have anything to add, I just wanted everyone to see that I am an Alliance member too! :D

30. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

While I dig flippin thru a car mag, it's obviously not interactive like this site is either. I can't ask a magazine for real time help repairing my ride, here I can, and it's invaluable.

I've been meaning to alliance up forever. I'll do it this weekend....

Nostrebor likes this.