Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake kit: E.C.I. vs. Speedway ?? UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodA, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Finally getting to a place where I can get back on my 41 truck, and am ready to order a front brake kit, for F-150,
    5-5 1/2 rotors and big (not metric) GM calipers on early Ford spindles.
    I have the new brake parts, just need the mounting bracket and bearing spacer kit.

ECI kit EC-370 .....................$175 + 17% shipping
    Speedway 916-31909............$ 98 + free shipping

Quite a disparity in cost. Anybody used a Speedway kit? I know some have unfavorable opinions on Speedway, so I don’t want this to turn into a shit storm. Just the facts, please.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've only been looking at Speed Way for a month or so, they seem to be the place of no name parts. Does that mean china parts?

3. I have dealt with both spend the extra money and you deal with a pro brake person .

4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

ECI is by far the best and most knowledgeable. Period.

lemondana and Tman like this.

5. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Cannot speak to that specific kit, but I have a speedway setup on the front of my 50 chevy truck and it seems to be
    fine.

6. I personally know Ralph Liscena that owned ECI until his retirement. And I also know Marcus Reid, who was the shop foreman for years. Ralph, and now, Marcus, believe in quality and safety. If you have any questions, the answer is just a phone call away. You will be speaking with someone that knows the product and the business, not just an order taker. Do it right, pay the price, and get the good stuff the first time around, not some non-descript parts from who knows where.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  7. studebaker46

studebaker46

If all you need is the brackets and bearing spacers speed way will be fine. By judging from the rest of your build you're not going to need any tech support Tom

hotrodA likes this.
  8. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

I bought the speedway kit for my 41 Tudor. Most of the kits I looked at had special rotors. I didn't know about the ECI kit. But the only custom components are the caliper bracket and the spindle collar. The quality of the Speedway unit was good to me. I bought the complete kit, but it still had the list of components so you knew what rotors, calipers and pads to buy in the future. I was on a budget so I went the cheap route. I never had a problem with Speedway.

chopped likes this.
  9. Thanks, guys.
    Anybody else have any input?

10. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

ECI is the best for brakes!

lemondana, rockable and Hamtown Al like this.
  11. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I also went with ECI for my brakes and having someone like Ralph to do all the engineering and troubleshooting if there is a problem, is well worth the extra money. Do the salespeople at Speedway have any brake system knowledge?

rockable likes this.
  12. Johnny99

Johnny99

Another vote for ECI. Had their disc set up for the Heidt's dropped spindles on my O.T. 56 Chevy. Nice parts and knowledgeable folks.

13. ECI without question. Pro knowledge and information can't be beat. Quality parts and input about their application with nothing left to chance is worth every penny of the price!. Not knock on Speedway, to be clear, but you got to pick your vendors for the stuff that matters, and brakes and brake systems are a biggie.

rockable likes this.
  14. Fordors

Fordors

I agree that ECI, and Ralph in particular, was always good about sharing advice but I think the Speedway kit has the same quality. It’s just flame cut flat plate, two bearing/seal adapters and some hardware.
    The only issue I see with buying the basic kit instead of a kit with rotors, calipers, etc. is the need to know the part number for the outer bearing cup that needs to be replaced. Armed with that knowledge it should be a snap to install.

rockable likes this.
  15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Spend the extra money.

16. TCATTC

TCATTC

I've used dozens of Speedway kits over the years without any problems.

19Eddy30 and chopped like this.
  17. ECI has always been my go to. Sold tons of their stuff to customers and used their parts on my 54 Chevy.

Hamtown Al and rockable like this.
  18. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Used a speedway kit on a customers car.
    You could watch the caliper bracket move when the brakes were applied.
    It would be ECI for me

Hamtown Al likes this.
  19. Appreciate the comments.

Since I have bought the parts that THEY list on their site for this combination, ECI looks like the best choice, particularly if I have an assembly glitch. Placing an order tomorrow. When it goes together I’ll update on my build thread.
    #Not Another 41 Pickup Build.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Hamtown Al likes this.
  20. Update:
    I had a long and enjoyable conversation with Marc today. Asked some pertinent questions and got the correct answers. Also found out that he’s friends with a couple friends of mine: Bobby Balkow and Jim and Mike Barillaro. Those CT guys are tight. It felt good to establish a rapport for the future. Parts ordered, ship Thursday!

FWIW:
    ECI bracket is 3/8”, Speedway is 5/16”
    ECI spacer is 2.00 OD. Speedway is 1.875 OD. Stock F150 seal is for 2.00” shaft.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  21. I'm happy that you got to speak with Marcus. He is what we know as good people, as was his father, Tiny. You asked the questions, got the answers, and ordered what you need. What more could you ask for.

Budget36 likes this.
  22. Jokester

Jokester

It's a hundred bucks! Do you really want to buy a cheap parachute??????

.bjb

alanp561 and williebill like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

Depends who the parachute is for;)

24. fordor41

fordor41

Ya, ole Ralph at ECI was a real expert. He told me to install a hold off valve on my front brakes on my '41. said to mount it in front center of the car because if the brake lines from the valve to the calipers were different length the shortest would make that brake grab before the longer line! I also bought the M/C from ECI and I had a question on which reservoir went to disc and which to the drums. He said "he'd have to check with his parts guy"

chevyfordman likes this.
  25. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

How long do you think speedway would stay in business selling substandard / unsafe brake parts or poor quality/dangerous steering components ? Having operated my own small business for nearly 40 years , if you are going to be successful , you provide a quality product at a fair price , if not , the word gets around very quickly , if you don't stand behind your product& services , you're not around very long .

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not knocking Speedway or lumping them into the same category but SOMEHOW people keep buying the substandard and unsafe crap that The Hoffman Group has been hawking for years and there has been a boatload of negative advertising for them!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    warbird1, Tman and 19Eddy30 like this.
  27. Cheap can be very persuasive.

Harbor Freight and Walmart are also successful. People also complain about them. But cheap can be very persuasive.

Chicster and williebill like this.
  28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Some folks just can't help but slog along convinced that because something is more expensive. It must be better , those who are selling high priced goods love you ! Without specific data/ proof one way or another , that's simply a false sense of security .

Chicster, TCATTC and 19Eddy30 like this.
  29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speedway is fine for trim parts, tee shirts, rubber seals, fittings and the like. Carburetors, brakes, steering, suspension, electrical...you know, the stuff that can kill you? Is in my opinion (and my wallets) better off with companies that specialize in those products.

olscrounger likes this.
  30. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That would break Pascal's Law, which says the pressure in a hydraulic circuit is the same in every point in the circuit.

HotRodWorks, rockable and 2OLD2FAST like this.