Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3D Printed Parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynfrog, Mar 20, 2021.

1. flynfrog

flynfrog

So I got a 3d printer and started playing with it. Working on a dome light lense for my Continental

Here is the factory part.
    [​IMG]
    I took some measurements of off what I had left of mine and fired up the cad box.

upload_2021-3-20_10-44-44.png

Some trial and error later...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Success mostly.. Going to tweak the design maybe try a little different pattern

[​IMG]

wicarnut, Ned Ludd and Just Gary like this.
  2. flynfrog

flynfrog

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There will some that say that 3D printing belongs in the same out bin as plasma cutters, CNC and TIG welding. The whole "non traditional tool" gig (there are a lot of traditional as well as non traditional tools on this forum :cool:). I say that is pretty damn slick! Good share.

4. flynfrog

flynfrog

wait what's wrong with my TIG welder?

Bandit Billy likes this.

5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Just call it a heliarc, and you will get around the "traditional" police lol

6. flynfrog

flynfrog

Its really a cool tool for making hard to find or don't exist anymore parts.

pprather and Flathead Dave like this.
  7. NOBODY says that! That is bullshit statement that folks will glom onto trying to prove how the HAMB is full of trad nazis.

8. And you did a kickass job at it!

Ned Ludd, j hansen and flynfrog like this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I wonder if it's possible to make 3D Printed metal parts out of metal?

Just Gary likes this.
  10. Good job right there !

11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

There are 3D metal printers. I just now watched a video on you tube.

12. Yup, lots in the bicycle are printing stainless and titanium parts. This tech will change the way we do a lot of things

13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Cool,but I can't even make my new cell phone work yet! Go Go

wicarnut, egads, TagMan and 2 others like this.
  14. flynfrog

flynfrog

15. flynfrog

flynfrog

we do some pretty crazy stuff at work. Lots of printed Ti including pressure tanks. For the hobby level you could use it to make a casting pattern if you were so inclined.

wicarnut, Ned Ludd and Tman like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it isn't the "I spent three weeks hand carving a wood mold to heat a sheet of plastic over in my toaster oven old school plastic parts making cool but it lets you make a part that would be cost prohibitive to make otherwise and that is pretty cool.

17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

What did your system run you?

18. flynfrog

flynfrog

I got an ender 3 pro. They are sub $200 machines and work fantastic. I switched the slicer to the prusa but nothing wrong with the out of the box stuff either. I design in solidworks mostly because I have it and have 1000s of hours in it. There are other packages just as good and cheap to free.

wicarnut, Ned Ludd and pprather like this.
  19. flynfrog

flynfrog

I will say its weird designing things to be machined vs printed. You have a different set of restrictions and possibilities. crazy curves and undercuts no problem but keeping in mind how the part will grow so you dont end up with to many things floating in space that will need support.

20. Really? This is a direct quote form another thread in Feb.

No, that's NOT the "billet aluminum" we're talking about. Making hot rod parts from misc. chunks of aluminum, in your shop, by hand IS traditional and has been going on for many years.:)
    What's NOT traditional is creating a CAD program, throwing a chunk of 6061 in a CNC mill and pushing a button.:mad:

And there was about 4 other guys backing this statement up.

21. ken bogren

ken bogren

Do you have a 3D scanner?
    Would that save on design time?
    Or too expensive?

Flathead Dave likes this.
  22. Well, if it is a real statement it is one of the reasons a LOT of really great folks do not post here anymore, and that shit makes me sad.

23. Morgan Milstead

Morgan Milstead

I see a lot of 61-67 Lincoln guys printing their own reproduction parts simply because the aftermarket doesn’t fully support our brand of cars like they would a mustang, charger or camaro. I know this because I’m the sorry s.o.b who HAS to have a Continental Mark II. Guys who are enthusiastic about a car they can build using parts out of a catalog have no idea how easy they have it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  24. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I'm going to have to learn to use one. $200 is not expensive at all.

25. noboD

noboD

They are 3D printing human body parts, like liver and heart. NO freaking idea how but they are supposed to work. Nice light.

26. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I guess the one who said this and those backing it are still using a fire pit and bellows and are forging from molten metals.
    Traditional or not, we are now in the 21st Century and dadgummit, we have new fangled ways and equipment available to us. (spitting my tobacco juice on the floor)

Tman likes this.
  27. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

One of the Jay Leno’s Garage YouTube sessions shows his high dollar 3 D printer and how they use it to create patterns and tooling for vehicles that are one of one and 100 years old. I quit paying attention to the traditional nazi’s when I finally could afford real welding rod and quit using coat hangers.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  28. harrypairatesties

harrypairatesties

I have the same ender 3 I use it way more than I thought I would one of my favorites was a knob for my bottle jack on my shop press and the wife’s iPad Air stand

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

What is the ballpark cost to operate a 3D printer? I know there are different medias to use.
    I think anything I make would probably turn out to be an ashtray.

30. Very cool! I just watched a program on 3D printed houses. Whole neighborhoods in California and Texas.