Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My Personal Glass Car Debate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CAHotRodBoy, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

If you do start a new thread on your trip, please post a link to it on here so we don't miss it! Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always wanted a '33/'34 3 window, but in Australia they don't exactly grow on trees here till one day a friend offered me a glass one for the right price. I chopped it another 2" & fitted a cowl vent , wind out windscreen & exposed door hinges just so it wouldn't look like all the other glass ones. I was very happy the way it turned out & 18109692_10210203895427771_356238312_n.jpg 18342224_1285941321521748_955253408104544305_n.jpg 81095077_1447870325378309_7558500162960621568_o.jpg have since sold it & got myself a steel Vicky. :)

3. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I try to avoid CA these days as much as possible but try to hit LARS and the GNRS. It would be a pleasure to cruise CO Blvd with you though! Heck, maybe we can put together a little HAMB cruise and hit some of the iconic SoCal cruise spots like Bob's in Toluca Lake, Van Nuys or Whittier blvd.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  4. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

That is one good looking glass car! I love that you added the hinges. My car has a crank out windshield too. I've thought about grafting in a cowl vent as well.
    I also love a louvered deck lid but not the thought of water running into the trunk so was thinking about adding a louvered skin over the existing trunk lid. I'm concerned it might be too thick though so now I'd like to find a steel deck lid. That led me to thinking about replacing the doors with steel doors and adding the exposed hinges so along with the steel hood, the car would mostly metal. That is all stuff I can do down the road and the priority right now is to get it back on the road with the Hemi.

Dago 88 and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CA if your in Smith no one is going to care. Wellington or Yerington either. Do it your way with your budget. Our cars are, for the most part, not going up in value as much as the past. The younger generations are not interested. Good luck.

6. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The door hinges came from the local hardware store, quite easy to fit. :) Here it is with a wheel swap & full fenders. 29598398_963666083798738_3686322532575086548_n.jpg

7. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Man I love that car

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Kinda curious, but where is this car now??????
    This had some attitude going on right up front (not too sure if I’d want drive a blown Hot Rod around the USA as it may be a bit pricey fuel wise????
    If this was your former 34 Coupe, why don’t you try and track it down to see where it is now. (2 things that I personally would change on it visually from these posted images, Tail light-Location and since it’s a Model 40, it’s gotta have that all expensive grille).
    This Hot Rod is a stunner. Lots of avenues to cruise down with this build, just like the one you have presently. I’m really digging this thread, keep on posting your progress pix and we’ll see you on the streets looking for that next cool cruise.
    CK

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  9. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Thanks. I did love that car and it sure did have some attitude!

Car went to Florida over 10 years ago. Between the recession, having to relocate for work and no garage space, I sold it very cheap. Don't know if I could even afford to buy it back now and if so, be hard for me to have to pay close to twice what I sold it for. :(

I had the original grill on it for many years and it went with the car when I sold it. The car went through many changes and engines over the years. In the early 90's when smoothy was in, made some OT changes (IFS, flush mount windshield, shaved handles, etc). Fortunately, never filled the cowl vent or hinges. About 2005 came to my senses and hacked off the IFS and went to hair pins, dropped ax, P&J backing plates, etc. Built a custom aluminum plate plenum so I could run 3 carbs.

That's also when I went with the Deuce grill. I had always liked that look and had planned on channeling the car at some point and a Deuce grill is easier to shorten (plus I'd be crazy to cut up a perfect original grill). Also went with the ETIII rears and magnesium Halibrands on the front. Had hoped to put a QC rear it it as well.

If I could go back in time I'd have kept that car and fire sale'd some of the other stuff I had instead. Oh well, shoulda, woulda, coulda, right? When I got this car I have now my thinking was to try to duplicate the yellow car. Old habits (well, thoughts actually) are hard to die so I kept going through the whole "but it's a glass car" thing and wondering if I should dump that much time and money into it. Now I'm thinking, F it! Just build the car and have fun with it and don't worry about what it is worth. I'm 64, retired and this will probably be a car I keep until I can no longer drive. At that point I'll probably just give it to my nephew anyway as I have no kids.

I don't know if the dual quad 392 Hemi I have now will get any better gas mileage than the blown SBC. I keep vacillating on what trans to run, a stick shift or an automatic but either way it will have an overdrive. I had a 700R4 in the yellow car. When I started planning the build and my big road trip, gas was pretty cheap. Now, with what's going on I'm afraid gas is going to sky rocket and might be something I'd be concerned about. One of my buddies told me I should leave the little Buick motor in there for my trip and switch over to the Hemi when I get back. Something to consider but it wouldn't have the cool factor. On the other hand, if I keep my speed down I can get better mileage plus I intend to stay on two lane back roads as much as possible. And if it costs more I shouldn't care as this will be a once in a lifetime trip and worth the extra gas money.

10. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I’ve had this 32 5 window for about 7 years and just recently decided that it is beyond my abilities to get it done correctly. It is a East Coast style car, channeled to the bottom of the frame and unchopped. BCF905B6-96F7-4972-8708-2B1A1775E1E3.jpeg I’ve priced out all the UP sheet metal that it needs and given that I’m not a TIG Wizard nor a bodyman it would probably be double the cost of the parts to get them correctly installed, and the fact that I’m over 6’5” tall it needs un-channeled, so somebody else needs it! A buddy of mine has a glass 32 Roadster and he recently bought a Brookville body to replace his glass one. I’m thinking that his body and my new Blackboard chassis would make a fine Hot Rod! Win for everybody, and I get to tell all the purists that I actually did get rid of a real Henry 5 Window for a Tupperware Roadster!

AHotRod, VANDENPLAS and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  11. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Years ago a friend said he did not want a fiberglass car for two reasons 1. the enclosed body (coupes) smelled inside when they got hot and, 2. they had no "history".

So do they smell inside when they get hot?

As to the history, no doubt there are 30-40 year old glass bodied rods that exist, but there is a premium price on the steel cars as they have survived the 80 plus years, thus have more "history", especially for authentic old rods. Will others still engage you and want to share old hot rod stories on your cross county adventure if your car has a V6 and a reproduction body. Probably yes. Will there be those who are not impressed? Probably yes and they are the ones who others have posted about who are critical of everything.

For the O/P my thought would be if the fiberglass aspect bothers you enough that you want to substitute steel parts and make it look more vintage will it ever be satisfactory as you know it is basically not what you originally wanted? You can't fool yourself.

12. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

The car doesn't but I do! :D

As far as your last paragraph, I think I'm getting over it. I'm sure I will always want a steel car but I think I can live with the glass body. One issue I have is that the '33/'34 coupe body is really my favorite car design. I'm quite certain I could sell this car and buy a steel Model A coupe or sedan or many other cars but if I did, I'd still ultimately want a '33/'34 coupe. I think I'd rather have a glass body '34 coupe over a steel body car of other make and model.

I'll build this car to my liking all the while keeping an eye out for a steel body. If I find one I can afford then I'll just put that body on this chassis.

13. adam401

adam401

For what its worth ive seen some pretty good deals on coupe bodies lately. I feel like for what model A bodies are going for now you spend a few grand more and get a 33 or 34 if you want. Glass bodies arent exactly cheap. Do what you want but if you can afford to build a hot rod you can afford a steel coupe body.

14. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hey there,
    Any progress on the 34? Went back & reread much of this. Things are opened again, summer is here so I’m hoping that you’re able to get out and enjoy the coupe. Have you made any changes to it?
    If so or not, go turn laps with it, hit whatever events whether it’s a local cruise night or a swap meet or just going to dinner.
    Just checking in ;).
    Wishing you the best,
    CK.

15. Rand Man

Rand Man

The original steel that is left out there today is close to 100 years old and looks like it. I know. I have a pile of the stuff. I have made a bunch of stuff out of glass over the years and it can look great. Anybody that doesn’t like it should get off their high horse.

16. HotRod33

HotRod33

MVIMG_20190812_101909.jpg IMG_20190628_110611.jpg . My glass 36 that I'm building...

17. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

My 50 chevy truck is steel, but about 1/2 then cab is patch panels so is it really all steel or 1/2 and 1/2 china steel?
    Either way it had kept me sane during this pandemic and I really do not care what anyone else thinks. Besides I did my best welding where it was most visible, and they will never see the floor pans lol.

18. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Hey Kevin. Haven't done anything to it and it's just too hot right now (104 today!). I have it in a spare garage and my buddy was supposed to come by today to help me push it into my big shop but his a/c crapped out in his car so he is working on that instead.
    Supposed to cool down a little next week so hoping to jump on it and get a few things done. I want to just get it re-wired and running with the Buick engine for now and resist the temptation to tear it completely apart to put in the Hemi. My incentive is to make Bonneville so I have about a month to get it going. The car has a/c too so if I can get it working I might drive it there instead of towing. I'm trying to get my buddy to go and tow his camper trailer (with a/c) so I can drive the '34.
    Here is a list of the minimum stuff I need to get done or buy:
    Install new seats (drill and bolt in seat tracks).
    Headlight stands (I have headlights and the wiring is done).
    Tail lights, old '39 lights were in fenders which were removed so need to buy and install new ones. Not sure what I'm going to go with yet.
    Need to install outside door handles (I have them already) and trunk handle. It had remote power windows and you had to put the window down and open the door using the inside handles. Trunk also had a power opener that wasn't working. I prefer original outside handle with latch.
    Driver's side window glass is cracked so want to replace it.
    Need to order new fuse block and rewire the whole car. The car was built in 1988 and was done by a pro shop or a very good home builder. Everything was done well but has age on it. The only thing really weird was the wiring. It is all aircraft grade using this panel and thin gauge white wires for everything which makes it very difficult to track. It also had an alarm system which I hate in cars. The first photo below shows box in door and connector. All the switches were in the drivers door armrest. I want to rewire using conventional wire (colored) and put switches in dash. I may try to reuse the existing panel but might be easier to just buy a new one and start from scratch.
    If I have time I'll replace the steering wheel (now has a '40 Ford wheel) and the stupid four foot long (slight exaggeration there but not by much!) shift lever. I already tossed the stupid skull shift knob that was on it.
    New wheels and tires. It has solid Centerlines on it now and I want to go with slotted aluminums (like ET's on Ansens) or TorqueThrusts like the ones that Moose photoshopped in my avatar. Would like to run 15x10's on rear and biggest fattest tire I can fit on them. Anyone have any good suggestions on source for wheels and what tires to run?
    Full fluids change. Motor oil, trans, rear, coolant. Charge a/c.
    I think that is all she needs to be drivable. I don't think it is really that big a list but I do need to get cracking on it and get parts ordered up asap.
    Open to any other suggestions, comments or recommendations from the peanut gallery here.

IMG_6743.JPG IMG_6742.JPG IMG_6741.JPG

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    Splitbudaba and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  19. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Good looking truck! Did you channel it over the frame? If so, how did you do it? When I do my teardown to install the Hemi, I'd like to channel the body over the frame a couple inches but have never done it on a glass car before.

20. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

That wiring looks like a A&P did it with all the cannon plugs for connectors. Too bad you need to change it, that type wire is very high quality and expensive if it’s the Teflon stuff. When I sold tools wire strippers were around $30.00 but the one that was needed to strip that wire was almost $300.00!

21. HotRod33

HotRod33

The cab was made that way..... It's channelled 6 inches

22. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hey CHRB,
    I can’t tell how often I wish for a climate controlled build area and it’s relatively mild here in So-Cal. I did struts on my pals driver in front of the shop and it was cooking when it’s like that it drains the energy out of someone.
    Keep working on the things that you can, I usually wait till late afternoon these days as I have Cyclone stuff to do during the day. I get my 2nd wind then.
    Set small goals that yield progress that you can see,
    As for the mods to the bod the 33/34 already comes with a slight channel, so keep that in mind.
    I’m really looking forward to seeing the progress.
    Keep up the good work.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

0A3D3E40-DD6B-44F5-AE86-7B6F6A5908A7.jpeg Glass cars can be cool. This is a Redneck 3 window I owned a while back. Great car. 400 SBC, 700R4, 9”. Also had outside door hinges which is something most glass cars don’t have. My Avatar is steel with Ford power. Lots more money than my FG car was but not necessarily more fun.

Cyclone Kevin, Rand Man and pprather like this.
  24. goldmountain

goldmountain

That is a great looking wire harness. Workmanship like that should be preserved instead of some cheap universal harness.

Happydaze likes this.
  25. JimSibley

JimSibley

I have always seen glass cars as a way to get a car that you , otherwise could not obtain. What i mean is, either a real one is to expensive, like a cobra, or 550 spyder, or the real one is so rough that you could not, or would not, save it, like most 90+ year old steel cars. Because of this glass cars are great. I myself enjoy fixing rusty crap, so my cars are all steel.