Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods RPM Bill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick111, Mar 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK more info I have a relative who works in DC hangs out with the folks on the Hill got back to me what caused all this to get back in the spotlight and yes you got it the Diesel truck rolling coal videos as well as the vendors smug advertisement selling the parts also the street racing fart can muffler cars crowd there were lawsuits from injuries and deaths these cars were all over social media on back streets and warehouse lots parents were suing the insurance company and the owner's of the properties for not stopping it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Crazy Steve likes this.
  2. trollst

trollst

This is dangerous stuff, we all modify cars, period. No need thinking you're safe because you got a particular style car, just look at the rules in some european countries, no modifications, or, very stringent rules not open to interpretation.
    I recall the Diesel Brothers were levied a $685,000 fine for their antics, partly, I suspect because they showed their stupidity and disrespect of the current laws, such that lawmakers want to tighten up even further.If you are in favour of modifying cars, regardless of their age or lineage, you must oppose this stuff.
    In Canada, we are losing our rights to own certain guns, because Joe Public thinks guns are dangerous, and in the end, we'll lose the ability to own guns legally. Don't think this can't happen to you, cause....it can.

mad mikey, Just Gary, egads and 4 others like this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Probably comparing apples to grapes or something like that, but Cali has already outlawed truck diesel engines made before a certain year, 1999?, not sure exactly. Older trucks, in order to be registered and driven on Cali highways have to be upgraded with newer engines and complete smog equipment for that year model engine, and it gets newer every few years. They aren't saying you can't register them, you just have to upgrade them to later smog standards to be able to register them. Who's to say they won't do the same thing with our cars? Make us do like that ICON company who puts all the current smog stuff into old cars.

California has already proven they can pass laws to retroactively effect trucks, so applying the same rational to cars is simple logic to them. And if they do it and get away with it, others will follow suit. That's why we need to support SEMA and those like them that stand up for our rights.

4. This is back to my point about how SEMA should be careful with this. The majority of their vendors make efforts to maintain emissions controls and standards on non-race parts, but these guys didn't and/or failed to police themselves. A too-vigorous defense runs the risk of tarring SEMA with the same brush. As noted, they were stupid and there are consequences for being stupid...

trollst likes this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Cali regs on diesel semi trucks aka commercial diesel trucks is a real can of worms. I'm thinking that a lot of those Cali semi trucks that age out just get traded in and auctioned off to out of state only buyers. Or they get sold to outfits who fall under the low miles a year line.
    Still as hot rodders we get lumped in with just about anyone who has a vehicle that looks modified. be it a jacked up redneck 4x4 diesel pickup with a turned up pump or a Honda Civic with a fart pipe and crooked wheels due to the lowering job. The "anti brigade" sees them as one.
    We can't be head in the sand though. Too many of those "green" fools are clueless as to the fact that a finely tuned engine in a hot rod probably puts out less emission at the tip of the tailpipe than their ragged out economy car that they use to drive to green rallys but never have it tuned up or even change the oil.

trollst, mad mikey and moparboy440 like this.
  6. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I'm sorry, but this isnt even remotely true.

As a long time master ASE automotive technician, it's this type of ignorance that gets people in our hobby in trouble.

The greenies have science to prove you wrong.

Trust me, I am a complete motor head, and the last thing I ever want to see happen is our cars to be regulated. But we need to understand that the powers that be are vilifying anything that they see as "old, loud, dirty, or modified".

All of our cars fall into that category to them. In all honesty, our cars are gross polluters. But we MUST join together and not be ignorant that they want to make EVERY engine meet their definition of "clean". I'd wager absolutely no "traditional" vehicle can meet those criteria.

trollst and Just Gary like this.
  7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The post above illustrates the need for a "dislike" button.
    While individual traditional cars may be a little high compared to modern cars properly tuned most people don't maintain them to that degree once out of warranty.
    And our numbers of vehicles compared to modern ones make us an inconsequential blip on the big picture.

mad mikey and moparboy440 like this.
  8. grumpy65

grumpy65

It is exactly that, being "an inconsequential blip", that makes us a target. Notice how they seem to go after one section of the motoring scene at a time ??? Standard 'divide and conquer' technique, and very effective if we don't all band together in opposition. The writing is on the wall. Take heed, be collectively loud about what you want, and do it now............

9. Yep, that isn't true any longer. Back in the '70s and into the '80s it could be true but no more. I can't remember the last time I saw a non-classic car emitting any exhaust smoke other than water vapor, much less any blue or black smoke. I can't say that about some club member's cars however...

Fabulous50's likes this.
  10. Another thing that comes to mind is if these diesel guys are SEMA members, SEMA needs to do a better job of policing it's members.

11. squirrel

squirrel

The Clean Air Act has been around for half a century...we can still drive old (HAMB era) hot rods, because it does not apply to them.

If you modify later model cars/trucks, you have to obey laws that apply to them.

It's pretty simple. This stuff is off topic for the HAMB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.