Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hahah I'm going to have to keep the hood off just for that purpose!

Thanks! With a street full of Edwardian flats and the dorms looming in the distance, it was making all sorts of noise. Mufflers will be happening soon.

Hahaha I can tell that the place had some history to it. Next time I'm getting a shake with my meal! Maybe I'll even take the roadster?

winduptoy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Today I managed to buy the correct throttle return springs and find my missing Allen wrench (the only one that is the right size for the adjustable linkage ends). This weekend I plan to get all that squared away, grease the front wheel bearings with Sta-Lube and take it for a drive down the cul-de-sac.

Also, I got a huge batch of 35mm film back from Underdog Film Lab in Oakland. I was extremely happy with how all the expired Velvia 100 and Fujichrome slide film turned out. One of my favorites, however, was this black-and-white snapshot of the roadster in my driveway. 000064200001.jpg

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks so cool with the top. Love it

Six Ball and J.Ukrop like this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh and I was meaning to ask, is your firewall mounted fuel pressure gauge a liquid filled one?

J.Ukrop likes this.
  5. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

That b&w photo looks like a real photo from back in the day.

Six Ball and J.Ukrop like this.
  6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! I can't wait to get the irons for it. The firewall gauge is a 1960s SW piece off a fellow H.A.M.B.er's slingshot dragster. It is not liquid filled, but I figured with rubber insulation on both sides it should be okay.

Thank you! That was the goal. I shot it right before they came in and replaced our original garage doors.
    000064200004.jpg
    A second angle, which gives a better look at the old doors.

7. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

You may not realize this but that inertia switch won’t work on a model A , you will note the first two digits on the part number are 32 , which designates it for use on 32 Fords only.....
    Ok I’m just screwing with you , love your build , I keep following along ‼️

Outback, chryslerfan55, Tman and 5 others like this.
  8. RodStRace

RodStRace

Love the shots of the car using the old film, but to really document your progress, YOU need to be in the picture too.
    Just like the first picture in this thread, having you in the shot documents the person as well as the car.
    One thing everyone here will agree with when looking over pictures from the 30s, 40s and 50s is look at the owners too. It helps document the era, who owned it and show the people that did the work. As many old timers will tell you, it's the cars, but more importantly the people that are the connections that they treasure over the years.

[​IMG]

9. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen turned upon jeans, that really dates this picture

J.Ukrop, loudbang, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

love those b/w pix...
    car buddy's wife was helping clean out the family home of a recently passed relative...
    they had me go through the albums and date every car i could see, helped them date the pix... felt good to help...

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

53D0CA40-3123-4973-979C-AD1BA73475E1.jpeg

I processed a lot of B&W 35mm over the years and found it a lot easier to get the same effect with an edit app!

12. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Ha! I'm wearing some right now, and they're even a bit dirty from crawling under my car today.

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

View attachment 5013229 View attachment 5013229
    I think a style grew out of an older need from a leaner time to conserve and "grow into them". Levi's were built to last for years and back then we mostly grew up. In this picture my dad, my brother, and I are all sporting cuffs. My baby faced big brother in the middle, with the biggest cuffs, would have his driver's license in just two years after this picture was taken and the Merc in the background would make many memorable passes at the Amarillo drag strip. Just 4 years after that he and I would pilot his '39 Ford coupe from Canyon, Texas to this very drive way in Pittsburg , California. :)
    View attachment 5013217

100_2298.jpg 100_2305.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hahaha great eye. Looks like I just have to save it for my Deuce build!

What's old is new again!

That was very nice of you to do that. Using your H.A.M.B.-era knowledge for good.

Looks great!

x2 on that

Style then and style now. Great bit of history. I especially like that '39 with its Moon discs!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I hear ya loud and clear. The majority of the time, I'm working on the car by myself. Seeing that my selfie game is poor, there aren't too many pictures of me with the car. But! I'm working to change that. Speaking of which...
    IMG_3849.jpg
    I need to have someone shoot one from the other side to highlight all my freshly installed speed equipment.

Dannerr, Outback, Chuck R and 14 others like this.
  16. Love it!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  17. RodStRace

RodStRace

Beautiful, in a completely hetero-normative way!
    Once it's reliably running again, you also need to get one of those old time speed run pictures down the street!
    [​IMG]

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Over the weekend I was able to check a couple of boxes off the big list. The first area I attacked were the throttle return springs. I tried a number of different ones before I got the correct pedal feel. When they were too tight, the throttle response was poor. I had to custom bend one of the springs to make it work. Once I got that figured out, I painted the throttle arm to match. I think there are about four layers of paint on there that will weather nicely. Loc-tite was added so that the assembly will not rattle free.
    IMG_3848.jpg
    Note dual return springs. I hate to take it apart, but I plan to re-paint the header VHT hi-temp silver in the coming weeks.

As paint was drying, I was able to roll the car into the driveway and re-grease the wheel bearings. Even though the green grease I was using was designed for boat trailer bearings, it didn't explicitly state that it was created for automotive use. Based on fellow H.A.M.B.ers' advice, I ordered the correct Sta-Lube bearing grease for drum brake-equipped vehicles. It's much more fibrous and feels like the right stuff for the job. I removed all old grease prior to re-packing/re-greasing.

Seeing that it's a messy task, I only took one photo while the incorrect grease was on there. IMG_3843.jpg

19. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I sure like your style and enjoy reading you post.
    Thank you,

jim

JalopyJimbo, Six Ball and J.Ukrop like this.
  20. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

So, with the wheel bearings re-greased and the throttle linkage sorted that can only mean one thing: test drive time! Learning from past experience, I plan to only drive it up and down the terrace until I feel confident enough that things are working as they should. On Sunday afternoon, I fired it up, put it in reverse and backed down the street. I proceeded to make a few passes, taking note of the throttle response. With every hit of the throttle, the sound of the little straight-piped four-banger echoed off the buildings. Neighbors stood by, some of which were taking videos and cheering me on. As far as I know, nobody called the police.

Notes: The car runs so much better than before. Even with less than 1/4 tank of gas, it fires right up and does fine on my street, which, believe it or not, is on a hill. Although I still need to address the rear brakes, it stops well too. There's a little bit of squeaking but I hear that will improve once I get more than a mile on the car.

Overall, I'm really excited with how this is coming along. I realized that I would like to get the driver's door functioning properly before I install the windshield. Between that and the exhaust system, I have a busy week's worth of nights ahead of me. Stay tuned!

21. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Woo hoo, good to hear! Tell 'em to take a video for you next time. :)

Stogy and Tony Martino like this.
  22. ;);)
    And you need to find someone with a Speed Graphic camera using a focal plane shutter; just so you can get the wheels looking "right"

23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Naaaa - make one picture your signature picture.
    The whole idea is for nothing to look fresh.
    Frame that one Kid.
    That's your signature picture.
    "The Ukrop Special"

24. cfmvw

cfmvw

Sometimes the best part of those old pictures is looking at what's going on in the background!

J.Ukrop, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  25. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

There you go Kid - the other side - Roads of Frisco to the Roads of Australia.....

Ukrop Special.jpg Ukrop Special (2).jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Model A hot rods are like mullets, stock on one side and hot rod on the other. :rolleyes:

Outback, J.Ukrop, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  27. voodootruck

voodootruck
    from Germany

J.Ukrop likes this.
  28. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hahah I've never heard that, but it’s a great way of putting it. That being said, I'll refrain from posting my mullet pictures on this build thread—for now :confused:

29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Footage coming soon!

I'll ask around!

Haha that's exactly right. Thank you!

Right?! It's like an I Spy filled with so many mysteries.

Can you hear (can you hear) the thunder (of the old tube header?) Ya better run, ya better take cover.

Thanks!

chryslerfan55 and RodStRace like this.
  30. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The most important order of business is that this roadster is now officially H.A.M.B. powered. Thanks to @Ryan, I now have a pair of amazing Alliance tags. In all my years of working for The Jalopy Journal, I've never had a car to put one on. Well, looks like 2021 is my time to make that dream a reality.
    IMG_3857.jpg
    Next up, I spent a little bit of time trying to figure out the best way to make a model of the exhaust sections that I am going to have bent. It's tricky to make a subtle two-part bend in such a short span (about three inches).

I planned to just bend it out of brake tubing and make a drawing with all the angles for the muffler shop team to reproduce in 1:1 scale. I made a mock-up with copper wire, but it was far from perfect.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to create mockups/models/drawings that will be easy for the people who will be bending your tubing to follow? IMG_3856.jpg
    I plan to run a short length of 2-inch tubing that clamps onto the mufflers.

winduptoy, 41 GMC K-18, OFT and 6 others like this.