Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's it like to live with a quick change rear axle under your hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 18, 2021.

1. I am repeating what I was told, excuse me if it offends you!

He has his way of building cars and I doubt he will loose any sleep worrying about what you think, HRP

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  2. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Curious to hear guys OP on the different brands. Halibrand vs Winters etc.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. j3harleys

j3harleys

I see you got your new snow tires on.

4. TERPU

TERPU

It's a Glorious Panty Droppin' Mechanical Symphony. At least that's what my Wife Says :)

5. jaracer

jaracer

My race cars had quick changes. Changed gears an average of 3 times a night as track conditions changed. I could probably do it in 5 minutes if I had to. I'd love to have one in my Model A, but I don't have the money.

Tman, mad mikey and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. 34QCmaint.jpg I have a Winters Champ style under my 34. I use 3 different sets of straight-cut spur gears. 4.51s for drag racing. 2.71s for trips and 3.54s for all around driving. I drove from Omaha to Joplin with the 2.71s, swapped to the 4.61s to run the car at MoKan and switched back to 2.71's to drive home. Then swapped the 3.54's in to drive around the Omaha area.
    I invested in a little cheapo plastic hand pump but I'm considering going to an electric pump. Any way ya do it, it's messy! The whine reminds me I'm not that guy driving a Hyundai or a Toyota down the interstate... 34QCmaint.jpg

Tim, Tman, mad mikey and 11 others like this.
  8. Raunchy

Raunchy

I have a Speedway Engineering QC with bell axle tubes in a model A with a Rover/Buick engine. I love mine. Has the helical cut gears so it's semi quite. I think the sound is cool and if you are a real hotrodder you will enjoy it. I had 3.89's in it and flipped the gears to drop to 4.42's. My engine combo liked that better so I am glad I have it to play with to match things up better. I plan to buy a couple more sets of gears. I would recommend the Speedway to anyone that wants one.

300racr, mad mikey and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. I have run QC's in every hot rod I've owned for the last 60 years. Currently running a Speedway Engineering Champ style rear end with helical spur gears. Quietest QC by far. The Speedway is the first one I've owned that has not leaked a drop in 14 years. Everything is O ringed.
    [​IMG]

10. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

HRP,
    I understood that you were just conveying what your friend was planning, but then I'm not sure of the purpose of your thread. Were you thinking that you might change his mind? A Quickchange is perfectly streetable. The noise is somewhat subjective, like anything else. If set up correctly and using the right parts, they can be almost silent.

I wasn't offended, nor was I trying to offend. I just found it odd that someone would want to replace a real hot rod part with what everyone else has.

11. 270bob

270bob

12. If the guy buys the car in question the Q/C rear axle will be removed, he has a chrome plated Olds rear axle that he saved from a show rod he build back in the 60's and he ask me if I would be interested in the Q/C and 3 speed transmission should he go through with the sale.

I have never owned a car with a Q/C axle and ask a simple question about them, I don't have a project right now but still would like to build another roadster in the future, hence the question as to what is it like to live with a Q/C . HRP

Tman and mad mikey like this.
  13. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I hope you get it!

mad mikey likes this.
  14. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

HRP, are you talking about Jack?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Blake 27

Blake 27

I have a Spidaro-Winters V8 Q/C in my roadster. After about 15k miles I got tired of the whine
    and switched to the helical gears, with the Winters supplied shim kit.
    It's been totally quiet, similar to the 9" I had in a previous PU. DSC08750-001.JPG

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  16. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Good looking set up. I like the look of the Winters bells the most. Looks the most traditional to me

17. Blake 27

Blake 27

My Winters only came with the ring and pinion, everything else, diff., bells, axles, etc. is early Ford.

18. Yeah. HRP

19. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I thought so, jack is not a traditional guy and he has his own way of building cars.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Do you guys run the straight cut gears? I know they are making more of a street type gear that is supposed to be quieter.

21. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Never ran one on the street, raced with them (Frankland and Winters HD champ style) on the dirt tracks up here in the NE. My project the "Whatever" is goingto have a Winters champ QC with grand national hubs and floater axles. DSCN1054.JPG I have about $500 in it so far for new axles, axle tubes, and wheel studs. Will be using straight cut gears. Hey I'm 1/2 deaf from the racing days, so I probably won't notice...

HOTRODPRIMER and mad mikey like this.
  22. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

It is a 3 inch axle, spline hub, HEMI. All parts interchangw with Halibrand, Winters, Casale, Conze etc etc.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. saltracer219

saltracer219

The Halibrand I have in my Roadster is NOISEY, you can hear it 3 blocks away. I spoke to the guys at Hot Rod Works and they suggest that you do not run angle cut gears in the early Halibrands because of the for and aft thrust of those gears so I stayed with the straight cut gears. I bought a new Winters set from them, a bit more quiet but still noisey. My late racing partner Bruce Geisler had quickies in just about everything, some were pretty quiet and some were very noisey and he put thousands of miles on all of them with no problem. Of course both of us have shot hearing and like the noise.

Dean Lowe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. One of the tips I remember from when I set up mine was to take a whet stone and knock the top edges of the spur gear teeth off slightly. As there is no way to change spur gear lash, one set may be quieter than another, particularly if they have seen less use.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

RIP Bruce

Tman, saltracer219 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. saltracer219

saltracer219

Thank you! Yup, I really miss him! We had over 40 years of Hot Rod and Racing adventures together.

Tman and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

One of the highlights of my early trips to Bonneville was bench racing with Bruce and Ginny.

Tman and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

30. I run straight cut gears and it's got a whine to it and I rather enjoy it. The 2.71s are by far the noisiest gears. Mine also has a detroit locker differential that has it's own brand of clicks and pops. My Muncie has some 2nd gear whine also and my 34 has no noise insulation.....mufflers are flowmaster 40 clones [Edelbrock mufflers] that end just before the rear axle so a ride in my car can be a little LOUD! And I love it! Mrs Rocky won't ride in it..

Tim and HOTRODPRIMER like this.