Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What Would You Do With It?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

The only thing I have to add is that if you get that car it MUST have flames on it! Don't "disappear" its heritage!!! LOL

Jrs50, chiro, Nailhead A-V8 and 2 others like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The 53-62's were typically called "solid axles" (referring to the rear axle) and the 63-67's were called "mid years" and everyone knows there were no corvettes produced after 67 so there is no need to name the rest.....

joel, Nostrebor, 31hotrodguy and 21 others like this.
  3. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Me too!! Sounds like a yuppy thing to me:rolleyes:

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I know you were looking at more of a custom slant on things, but... Give me a 1956 Corvette, and I know exactly where I would go with it:

[​IMG]

Add a short shifting 4-speed and a small cube'd Chevy that wraps to about 10,000rpm or so through straight pipes and then fight the urge to add modern brakes...

I'd be wrapped around a telephone poll within a year for sure...

alanp561, 31hotrodguy, enloe and 23 others like this.
  5. electric motor mounted in the rear and batteries under the hood....oops wrong forum.

6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I gotta ask...why isn't a '53-'55 Vette the C1...and the '56-'62 a C2 ? Seems stupid to me. (of course most Chevys seem stupid to me);).

7. brjnelson

brjnelson

FIRST thing I would do is put a FORD engine in it, and I would just smile when I got death threats from the Corvette types.

8. Hot Rod all the way..purist be damned.

chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.
  9. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Really shake them up, put in an Olds and put chevy valve covers on it!

10. Shoot, compared to the junky crap I drag home, that one looks like a nearly new car. I would just repair whats needed and repaint it. My Vette once had a fire, its not that hard to repair on a Vette.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are to 80 % of the car folks but some stick to what they called them in 1969.

Still for me, fix the body damage right, do proper repairs under the hood, rebuild or replace the engine , paint it but don't go overboard with a high dollar paint job, detail the interior, hang the high dollar hubcaps on the garage wall, stick the stock wheels in the back shed and put some more cast than shiny wheels on it.
    Then drive it. Not a show car but one you can wheel into Cars and coffee, take on a road trip or out to the lake for a Sunday picnic without being in a panic because you might get it dirty.

12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

31hotrodguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. noboD

noboD

My thoughts exactly. I knew I liked you for some reason, but I am jealous of all your stuff.

alanp561, chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

haha, One thing you can take to the bank is, I am as old fashioned as they come and I hate all the modern crap..... (killed my cell phone 2 and a half years ago and don't miss it)

15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

C-1 Corvette's are 53-62, C-2 are 63-67, C-3 673-67, C-4 68-82, and from then on they are just plain ugly and don't get a second look from me. As far as what to do with this 56, first of all lose the front bumperettes (and the rear too if it has them), single 4 barrel that's at least a 327 with a 4-speed, single color paint, some Cragar S/S wheels, and some of the longest Cherry Bombs available. Just a late 60's style hot rod Corvette. But that's just me, and JMO. I like cars to be fairly plain Jane, and not a long ways from stock appearing.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    alanp561, chryslerfan55 and X-cpe like this.
  16. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

I knew a guy who did that. He swapped a 289 from a GT350 into a 56 Vette. It turned out the motor was from a stolen Hertz rental. The car was found buried in a sand quarry without the motor, and he went to prison.

brjnelson likes this.
  17. It could be a great mild custom. That is what I would do to it anyway.

18. THIS!

chryslerfan55 and heavydumper like this.
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Some guys were at Baylands (Fremont) night drags, (late close-down) They had a '59 'Vette that was LOUD, and ran in the 11s.
    One of the crew was a friend of mine, (Willie Skinner, ran in the gas class, '38 Chev Coupe) he told me to go look under the hood of the 'Vette, he'd go with me...
    The guys running the 'Vette were a club, from up Menlo Park way, Afro-Americans.
    Willie and I walked up, one guy closed the hood...Willie said, "He's O.K., his shop sponsors me..."
    Open came the hood, there was a large-ish Cleveland Ford in there, with 2 Demons up top.
    White stockish-looking 'Vette was a 'sleeper', street driven. I said..."Wow!"

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that terminology is for Vette Weenies like my friend Eric. he's a card carrying member of the Vette Weenie club.

21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bring it back to stock appearance. Add a 283 “stroker” (307), wide ratio 4 speed and 4.11’s. Stock wheel covers too.

tractorguy likes this.
  22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

whatever I did with that it would have a set of American Torque Thrusts and those hub caps would go on my 49 Chevrolet.

23. Well the Corvette people would not like me (perhaps don't like me is a better evaluation) but what would I do with it? Hell driving it comes to mind. Patch it up get it mechanically sound and plant my dumb ass in the seat.

24. millersgarage

millersgarage

damn, that looks like a fixer.
    just fix it and drive it, what a fun ride to have

tractorguy, hansboomer and WillyKJr like this.
  25. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Clean up the fire damage. Mechanical restoration to confident driver level and run it and tinker with it. Waaay too many of those cars are MCACN/NCRS level restorations and never get enjoyed on the road.

scotty t, tractorguy and hansboomer like this.
  26. I guess I'll be the lame one. I would fix the wiring, repair the fuel system, tune it up, put some gas in it, and drive it like I stole it. Apart from that, I'd leave it alone. Your ugly is my beautiful. I dig a car with grit. :D

27. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I like the lavender Watson version

Nostrebor likes this.
  28. heavydumper

heavydumper

Since I lean heavily toward traditional cars...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's what I would do with it.

(Not my photos, I found them on the net. I hope that's okay.)

29. I would fix burnt glass in a heart beat over heated metal any day...

get it fix it drive it !

30. 301, dual quads,swap the T-10 for an M-22 muncie, Americans and the same urethane primer I used on my 34.