Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical bushing in spring shackles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatmotor40, Mar 16, 2021.

1. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Need to replace bushing on my Posie spring shackle and need to know if the spring need to be held in the weight down position or jacked up Thanks,They have been on there since 2008 and the outside lip had gone.

2. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Oh by the way are doing frt and rear springs on the 40.Have the reverse eye springs

3. Budget36

Budget36

I think you’re asking how to remove the spring?

4. Just me, but I would put the car on jack stands and position your floor jack under the eye of the spring. That way, you can maneuver the spring up or down once you have the bushings in place. Do each side one at a time.

5. ive only ever done it it by putting the chassis on jack stands, dropping the entire front or rear suspension down by unbolting the spring and using a spring spreader. Use caution, those spring bushings can be a major pain. do you have the afremarket plastic type or the original type with the square drive on the shackle link?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just did it on a 40 front spring this week. Car on jackstands underframe. Lower axle a bit onto jackstands. small floor jack under spring eye--raise a bit til shackle can be removed. Replace bushings. Took me about 30 minutes once car was on stands. Remove front spring the same way. Actually gonna take out front spring again today and add a leaf. Hardest part is crawling around on the floor at my age--otherwise no big deal.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  7. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Thanks ordered the plastic bushing from Posies yesterday.I did the build back in 2008-2009 kind of hard to remember but I had the body off frame then.Just didn't want the spring to go wild.Got the car on my 4 post so I'm getting to old to crawl around.knees and back hurts later.But will not quit.

TagMan likes this.
  8. Country Joe

Country Joe

Seems like a short life span for a bushing.

9. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Maybe he actually drives the car more than a few hundred miles a year.

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

11. ..............Agree.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  12. I was going to suggest those. I did the '41 p/u recently with them and a bottle jack.

lothiandon1940 and olscrounger like this.
  13. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Didn't know they had those but I guess I will put the ones I ordered in since I got almost 20 yrs out of them.The shoulder on them are gone but the inner bushing is still in spring.If I need them again I will change to the oil lite Thanks