Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Registering a kit car with out of state title in California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hermit938, Mar 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermit938

Hermit938

I bought a 34 Ford from Ravon Street Rods in Montana that came with a Montana title but no license plate. The title says Reproduction 1934 Ford and the title is signed over to me. Can I just register this car in California as a 1934 Ford with just a VIN verification showing the title matches the numbers stamped on the frame with the usual transfer of title paperwork? I have title and I have a matching VIN number on the frame, getting those 2 items is what seems to be the hard part, but I already have those. I am trying to avoid the Specialty constructed Vehicle route. I don't have paperwork for the engine, transmission, etc.

Thanks for the help and any advice you guys might have!

2. A kit car. Mmm...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. I'm thinking maybe you should have checked into this with the California DMV prior to laying out the money for the car.:(

chopped, MO54Frank, LOU WELLS and 6 others like this.
  4. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

You bought a kit car.................Which is a reproduction vehicle

5. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

hopefully not the beast.

upspirate and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. ....Isn't Ravon the evolution of the Street Beasts?:eek:

7. Their '34 3 window. 9942763_orig.jpg

8. Budget36

Budget36

Ya, it’s not a “xxxx” car, it is what it is.
    My thoughts is you have a receipt from the place you bought it from, so that will establish taxes. If you bought a roller and you used parts on on, probably have to do so “declaration of facts “ paper work.
    I don’t see how you can get around a special construction vehicle.
    My babble aside, call the DMV. Wait 2-3 hours for the call back and ask them how to proceed.

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I would think the song and dance on a special construction vehicle is to get a new title on a new build.

this has a title.

go register it like you register any other car you bought from Montana with a good title and move on?

upspirate likes this.
  10. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

It is a kit car and needs to be registered as what it is....

210superair likes this.
  11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I don't understand why people ask that question here instead of the DMV in the state and county where they live and are getting the vehicle registered/titled in. It is already bought and paid for, 5 opinions to the question from 4 different states and 1 other country. Go to California DMV and find out directly. Good Luck.

Pat

warbird1, chopped, Hotrodmyk and 5 others like this.
  12. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

It might be wise to check the year your engine was manufactured. If B.A.R gets involved they will require Emissions that came on said motor. Find a pre-smog engine with only P.C.V requirement. A 265 -283-327 or early 327 . Borrow the engine from a friend if need be. Don’t get them involved if that block came with a ton of emissions shit on it! Even the wrong transmission for that engine will become an issue with these power hungry bastards!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Work In Progress likes this.
  13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe @gimpyshotrods or some other knowledgeable DMV licensed consultant here on the HAMB will chime in and be able to give you some basic pointers. BUT as others have said you need to contact the DMV to get the exact procedure to register the car.

14. 4ty

4ty

Are there not companies in CA that will register this kind of car for you,
    If the title says reproduction you're stuck.........................JMO.
    Is it a valid 34 Vin number or a State assigned??
    Paul in CT

15. NJ Don

NJ Don

I just went through this in NJ. Bought a car that was built in Texas 2012, titled in Kansas 2015, sold to a guy in NC where it has "reconstructed" on the title, then I buy it. Took all the paperwork to the MVC and as soon as they saw "reconstructed" on the title I had to jump through many hoops. They treated it as a kit car and being it was 1st titled in 2015 I had to meet certain requirements ... catalytic converters, all modern light requirements like emergency flashers, a "brake system failure" indicator, windshield glass etched "AS1", windshield wipers (on a roadster!) and probably more that I forget. Luckily the crate engine block was from 1993 so it didn't require an OBD port or test.
    Once I had all these requirements met I had to schedule an inspection at a state specialty site. This was last year during the Covid shutdown so I had plenty of time. I passed the inspection and the paperwork went to Trenton. When I got the new title it says "reconstructed 2015", no mention of brand or year (it's a '32 Ford hiboy)! I could be driving the Batmobile for all this says. I brought the title and paperwork to the local MVC and my registration says "rec 2015,
    con (convertible), black, passenger" that's it! Nowhere does it say '32 Ford. I stopped by the local state police with the car and showed the officer my paperwork, he said "fine, all is OK"! I also called Hagerty and explained the new title as they had it covered as a '32 Ford Roadster when I initially bought it. After talking to her supervisor they revised my ins. card to say "Year:2015, Make: Ford, Model: Model 18". I'm now legal but don't know what I'm driving!

16. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I've heard some of the smaller DMVs in California are easier to deal with, I would start there. If you have a good Montana title I would use it to register and answer any questions from there, it may go straight through. As someone stated, there may be specialty places that can help or talk to a local hot rod shop or ask around car clubs and cruise-ins, often others have found an easy way to legally register it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Calif clamps down on daily drivers with out of state registration and plates, but since this is a specialty car, I would not think that they would notice-- a residence (not P.O) address in a more friendly state might be another way---dont know

18. That is true. I've personal experience with it. Couldn't get a trailer registered in one county. Went to a DMV office in another county and had the registration in no time. It really depends on the experience of the DMV clerk.

65pacecar and lothiandon1940 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.