Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Feedback on an insurance carrier.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skinnydennis, Nov 10, 2017.

1. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

I recently changed to Hagerty after being with one of the other classic car carriers for a number of years. Our club had a presentation by a Hagerty rep who pointed out that Hagerty allows pleasure driving while other carriers have a restriction clause allowing only show and parade use, even though their ads say they allow other pleasure use. Read the policy carefully and decide for yourself whether your carrier will cover you for the type of driving you do. As it turned out, about 2 months after I changed over, a rock hit my windshield and cracked it and I had to put in my first classic claim. Hagerty was great. It happened on Saturday and I received a check in the mail the next Saturday. All done by phone and they asked me if I had an installer. When I told them I'd prefer to do it myself, they asked me how long I thought it would take and gave me $40 an hour for my estimate. Sure, it saved them money, but I appreciated not having to take it to someone who had never worked on a Healey windshield when I had already replaced one myself previously and knew the process.

pitman likes this.
  2. JimSibley

JimSibley

I own a body shop that deals with this a lot. Both grundy and hagerty are great! Just don't use a standard insurance company for your classic.

3. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

This is a good subject and good info. At one time in my life I had a certificate of insurance for the state of North Carolina. A lot of you do your shoping on the web but consider this. I let my local Erie Ins. agent handle my Hagerty Ins. on my hotrod. Reason is if I have a problem with a claim I can go eye ball to eye ball with my agent if I need to. Every one be safe..............

4. flamin01a

flamin01a

two cars on Grundy, excellent service on claims

5. 10 years with Haggerty. Agreed value to what I have invested.. No claims yet and premiums seem reasonable to me.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Flamin01a please take a look at your "conversations" you have a message from me.

7. skinnydennis

skinnydennis
    from Austin, TX

Thanks, I will be looking at insuring my truck as well to keep them under 1 carrier.
    Good to hear from someone who has the carrier and what they think, again, thanks.
    skinny

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. skinnydennis

skinnydennis
    from Austin, TX

Good information, thanks,
    skinny

9. skinnydennis

skinnydennis
    from Austin, TX

Do rates also go by mileage put on each year with Hagerty. My current insurer does and that is understandable. What I am limited to is no "hauling" rule. I guess they don't want me to scratch my paint on my F1.

10. They've never asked how many actual miles I put on the car each year. My policy runs July to July and I believe I'll be over my 6000 by then. The base policies are 1000, 3000 miles and so on. Of course the more you drive the more likely you'll be making a claim.

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

Whatever you do, DO NOT get classic car insurance from American Family Ins.

When my son's wagon with an agreed value policy got caught in a flash flood, we had to call the Insurance Commissioner 2 times before he finally got paid by American Family, almost 3 months later. American Family gave us the biggest runaround on every detail on a claim they were going to get reimbursed for, the car was actually covered by the insurance at the shop it was sitting at. My son went through his insurance because the shop's insurance thought we would get paid quicker. Gene

12. Allmotor

Allmotor

I use Grundy for my cars.
    I have done many collision repairs in my shop on Grundy insured vehicles and they are great to deal with.

13. Been using Grundy for years. No complaints.

14. Cobalt117

Cobalt117

Your car looks awesome. And unfortunately, because it is so rare, you'll have to pay a lot of money to the insurance company, and it doesn't matter where you will ensure it, but if you want to save some money, you can try car.co.uk/motor-insurance services. I made my insurance at their office and to be honest I am pleased with everything, moreover, they have a pretty interesting discount system. Find more about that on their website, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I had Hagerty for a number of years, and they raised my rate up every year, with no claims, and nothing on my driving record. I called to talk with them, and ask why the change, and was told it is affected by what city you lived in, and other factors "beyond their control"! What a load of BS for a collector car, that's not used as a daily driver.
    Then one year they sent me a notice saying they wouldn't cover one of my cars because "it is stored off your property"?? I again called them to ask where they got this info, as all my cars were always on my property? They told me they had no record of where the info came from, but would correct the error. I told them not to bother, as I was changing insurers!
    I have a friend whose wife works in the insurance business and told me to check with Chubb where he's insured. I called Chubb collector car insurance and talked with Nicole whose in charge of that dept. She quoted me $125 less than Hagerty, and I raised my car values about 15% higher than what I had with Hagerty. Been with Chubb for about 4 years now, and my rates have never changed. And while building my current project I called to ask if they'd insure it during the build, and Nicole told me if it has a title they'll insure it. Cost me a whopping $12 for the original $2500 price, and every few months I'd call back to raise the value as more money went into it. Never an issue, and they simply raised it, and told me not to pay the difference until they sent me a bill by mail.

16. Dirk35

Dirk35

Im happy with Grundy.

17. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Was in the auto insurance industry as an agent for 25yrs., and used Hagerty for all of our specialty cars.
    Currently have 2 of my own with them. Quick and easy to deal with. They do have some storage
    guidelines when the car is not in use, (like any other), and love their buy-back option if the car is totaled.
    They pay the full agreed-upon price, PLUS you get the car back. Like an extra $40yr for it.

triumph 1 likes this.
  18. Ask the company/agent that insures your everyday car, which in my case is AAA.

Charlie Stephens

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Pretty sure the OP has figured out his insurance since November 2017, but it's great to dig up a 4 year old post to rant about how much you hate Hagerty. :p

Budget36, hotrodharry2 and rockable like this.
  20. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I'll stand by Hagerty. I thought at one time I'd shop around and a friend had Grundy. So I called them in fact have talked to them at a NSRA event. Got the same answer twice.... they couldn't insure mine as it was modified.... Guess it's all in the person you talk to. I'm glad there's more choices out there as there are so many of us. Hagerty is my choice.

mad mikey likes this.
  21. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

Had Hagerty for years but switched to State Farm in 2016. Agreed stated value, much lower premiums, restriction is not more then 3, 000 miles per year.

22. Grundy takes my check every year with never a complaint. :(

Budget36 likes this.
  23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

By now everyone should know Insurance company costs , availability , coverages , etc . are all controlled by YOUR state insurance commission !

24. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

Grundy here and a lot cheeper than Hagerty.

25. gene-koning

gene-koning

OK, what exactly does "agreed stated value" mean? Does it have stated value, or an agreed value? In the event of a total loss, do you get the amount you both agree is the value of the car, or do you get the stated value where they subtract depreciation, and reduce the coverage every year before they cut you a check?

My son had his car covered with his regular car insurance with an agreed value policy. The car got totaled (in a flash flood) and he had to call the State Insurance Commissioner before he got paid the "agreed amount". He had to call the Insurance Commissioner a second time when he wanted to buy the car back. They kept telling him since it was a flood car, it had to be scrapped, which is not true with a vehicle over 10 years old in IL.
    We used the insurance money to rebuild the car and its doing just fine 4 years later.. It is no longer covered under his regular car insurance.

2OLD2FAST and dirty old man like this.
  26. TCATTC

TCATTC

I've used Grundy for yrs., never had a claim.

27. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

"6171CJ ANTIQUE DAMAGE OR CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLE (Agreed Value)

2. Limits and Loss Settlement - Comprehensive Coverage and Collision Coverage
    If loss is to your car, item 1b is changed to read:
    (1) The agreed value of your car is the vehicle value shown on the Declaration Page unless:
    (a) Your car has been damaged;
    (b) parts or equipment have been removed from your car; or
    (c) your car's condition has changed due to abuse or neglect
    after you and we agreed to the Declarations Page and prior to the loss.
    If any of these events have occured, then the agreed value is the vehicle value shown on the
    Declarations Page reduced by the decrease in value of your car due to such damage, the removal
    of parts or equipment, and damage caused by the abuse or neglect.

(2) The damaged car must be given to us in exchange for our payment, unless we agree that
    the owner may keep it. If the owner keeps the car, then our payment will be reduced by its value
    after the loss.

28. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Have both of our cars with Grundy. 1950 Chevy Convertible restomod and 1932 Ford 3Window all steel Ford powered. Had great service when I had an accident with a previous 3 Window a couple of years ago. $10k in damage. No questions asked. It’s important to understand the difference between Agreed and Stated value.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  29. Had Grundy for over 10 years. Good rates on 4 vehicles. Luckily never had a claim.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. wvenfield

wvenfield

Well I see this one has already been bumped so.............

I had Grundy years before and I recall them having all sorts of restrictions. I just signed up with Hagerty and I have a question. They allowed me to pick that the car will be taken to the track. Anyone had any actual experience with this?

I'm not going to run a series or anything but the car will be taken to the track. I kinda figured I would be on my own but I was gave the option of the car being run at the track. Coverage with 0 deductible, $15,000 agreed value for $270 a year and to be able to run at the track? Seemed like a good deal to me. If indeed I'm covered.