Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead 3/4 cam stamps, and magneto identity.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jebo, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Jebo

Jebo

I found a camshaft and was wondering if anyone knew what the manufacture of it was. Thanks IMG_2310.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Here's a bump - wonder if it could have been a re-ground cam ?

3. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

IMHO; Put it in a block & degree it. At least you will know all the pertinant info about it. Then you can start looking at the past & current brands specs. There's a good chance that it will match some brand name's model. o_O

4. Budget36

Budget36

Cool thread, hope you can get your answer. This is only the 2nd time I’ve seen verified “3/4” cam information, the other was posted in an article from a magazine ( sorry I don’t recall who) about building a 265 Chevy way back when.

Jebo likes this.

5. If I had to hazard a guess I would guess that it is a regrind. Here is my reasoning on it. The top stamping looks like it is done over some older numbers/letters.

my next guess is that it is around 270 duration. this would be because of the 3/4 stamped on it. The way it was once explained to me by a cam grinder of note is that the 3/4 race cam moniker came from duration of 270 degrees was 3/4 of 360 degrees.

Mostly everyone will disagree with that but it really does not matter that much as I am just hazarding a guess.

Jebo, Desoto291Hemi and Budget36 like this.
  6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Wonder if it's a Sig Erson camshaft?

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Wonder where the other 1/4 went? I know that was a common moniker. 3/4 race. Lippy

8. Matt55folife

Matt55folife

Finally!!!! A picture of one of those 3/4 race cams ive herd about for years from all those people that know everything about hot rods but dont seem to have one!!!! Im on bored with a re grind. Those numbers are definitely hand punched. I guess the big question is have u ran it?

Jebo likes this.
  9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My thought as well. Usually the Erson cams had the entire name stamped into the cam. This Erson has the same block lettering as the O/P's photo.

Erson Cam.jpg

stillrunners likes this.
  10. Jebo

Jebo

I will attempt this, thanks.

11. Jebo

Jebo

Thanks for all the comments. I will try to run it in my motor once I find out what it really is.

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

That M with a circle around it may be a clue. Lippy