Register now to get rid of these ads!

33 and 34 Ford differences?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CEKPETHO BCE, Jun 29, 2011.

1. CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

Hello there. I am just wondering what are the differences between 33 and 34 fords. I tried to do a search, but couldn't find anything. Pictures would be appreciated, unless there are no differences between them. Thanks in advance.

2. grill, hood, radiator, fenderwell, doors, garnish, more. Most, if not all is interchangeable. I know you searched, but there are a few threads on this.

3. hotdamn

hotdamn

acorrding to Paul Bradly who is a very dialed guy on 33,34 fords, he once told me there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 some odd differences.

I will say that Dirtyest Devil taught me that 33 hood have one handle and 34's have two.

Dave Mc likes this.
  4. M.Edell

M.Edell

yes there are some threads on this already actually..

5. One of the most contriversial differences is the difference in grilles. #4s have a straight-bar grille and 33s have bars that have a graceful curve...the bottom sticks out a little further than the top.
    I searched out all 33 front sheetmetal for my 34. I also deleted the 34 closed-car "flap" at the back of the side window opening for the smoker's vent window clearance...changed my 34 doors to 33s.
    Photo is my old [ex] rusty 33 grille versus a photo of a black 34 coupe with it's straight-bar grille.

Attached Files:

6. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Ragmanray likes this.
  7. CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

8. tinhunter

tinhunter

Hi guys, just had to add my 2 cents and to show one of a few different combinations of build parts from ford, my 34 5 window has the smooth rear inner fenders, front inner door handles, 34 style door window openings, door hinges are on the outside of the pillar, 33 round hole in cowl for hood latch, indented cowl lip for hood rest and 33 style cowl vent assembly. I purchased the car originally out of USA so its not a canadian built ford nor has it ever been cut on . I'm still in the " de-street rodding mode" and don't have the headliner and rear upholstery out yet so there may be more abnomalies that I haven't found .

9. To complicate matters further, many of the features that are supposed to distinguish a '34 from a '33 actually were introduced late in the '33 model run (there is a reason that the Model 40 designation includes both years). Late '33s have the '34 style straight grille, straight hood side louvers, and two hood handles. Also factor in that many cars have a mix of '33 and '34 parts due to being repaired over the years with junkyard parts. The serial number on the frame is the most reliable way to tell them apart.

10. badshifter

badshifter

The main difference is one year.......

da34guy and mgtstumpy like this.
  11. Smokey2

Smokey2

Good God ! How MANY TIMES MUST WE GO OVER THIS ???????????

IF You Can't TELL THA" Difference,
    THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE !!!:rolleyes:

12. M.Edell

M.Edell

LOL..I was thinking that same thing..

Bob Lowry likes this.
  13. The 33s have radiused louvers and a single hood handle in the center bottom of the hood side. If the hood was real there is a small radius on the leading edge of the hood sides and top. Ford stopped that in 34 because the radiator cap raked across the radius and took all the paint off. The door handles on this car are 34. The luggage rack is 33. In 34 Ford spaced the rack behind the bumper so you could keep the spare tire. Headlights, bumpers and braces, gauge insert (34 didn't have one), grill, and color of the knobs were all different as were the door pulls. 34 had a strap, 33 had a metal oval door pull. If the hood is open you can look for a notch to hold the hood side up. 33 didn't have them. There are differences to the front fender braces and inner fender panels but most don't know that and they do interchange. Outer panels and fenders are the same.

Back to the hood. Rootlieb makes the hood sides without the radius on the leading edge. If you change from a 33 to 34 or visa versa all you have to change is the hood and grill. 33 headlights are bigger than 34.

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

33 vickys didnt have a deck lid and 34s do. just had to throw that in.

da34guy likes this.
  15. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

34 Fords are much better looking and vastly improved over the previous year Ford.

Fortunateson likes this.
  16. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

Ever see one of these? It's a skirtless 33' Ford. I hear that the first 500 33's were like this.
    33Cabriolet.jpg 1933-ford-cabriolet2.jpg

tofords and da34guy like this.
  17. Correct you are; except for the grille, hood louvers, and that stupid flat area at the back of the door windows.;)

MAD 034 likes this.
  18. 1933 Ford Skirt-less Fender Cars

Being a Former Early Ford V/8 Member For Over 30 Years. I always took an Interest in the Early Production cars. 1932, 1933, & 1934. There a Very Early 1933 Inter Fender Panels,Early Engine Rod Braces, front Cross members, Body bracing to Prevent Cracks, etc... I think there's early Headlights & Cowls Lights. The 1st on an Assembly line installed Tach was in a Truck, mounted on a Steering Column, was Nov. 1934. This information came in the 1933/34 Early Ford V/8 Club Book. Join the V/8 Club. To find All these Things. What've Noticed Is on 1933 Ford Skirt-less Fender cars is A lot came out of the Northwest States Of Washington, Oregon, Nor-Cal, Montana, & Nevada. There was a Ford a plant in Seattle, SLC & a Plant in The Bay Area. The Most Body cars were 1933 Ford Victoria's. More So, than any other Body Style. I've had 3 Friends that had 33 Vicks, 2- of the 3 Had Skirt-less Fenders. I can't Remember the Guy's Name in Henderson, NV. He had a need for a Right front NOS Skirt-Less Fender, & had a Right Rear NOS Coupe Fender to Trade. In 1984, I went to the 50th Anniversary Of the Model 40 Ford's in Colorado Springs. Mike De Verandt Put this On, W/Help From Friends. It was Great Times. My buddy George Owens Had his 33 Black W/Red Steelies Ford Vicky There. Went to Mike's House & seen his Cars. I got Very Hot for his 1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, only V/8's Made in 1934. (99). Anyway, I've a Nack For asking Guys at the Meets, What their Car Projects their Working on & Parts their Needing. A Buddy of George's Ben Brown had a 34 Ford Pickup. But was Wanting a NOS Right Rear Coupe Fender. I ask him do you have anything to Trade in Skirt-less Fenders. He said Yes! I've got a NOS Skirt-less Front Left To Trade. I put those to Guys together, They Ex-Changed Skirt-less Fenders. The Guy in Henderson NV. Had a Mint 34 Cabriolet Drivers Door painted (Yellow Of all Colors?) complete w/All S/S Frame, Hinges, Door Latches, Regulator, Garnish Moulding. $400.00 He Found the Pair in a Old Ghost Town in a Valley. He had to claim down, this was in Upper Nevada. He sold the Right Door to s Guy, that didn't want the Left Door? So, that help me to Complete my Doors for my 34 Cabriolet. My Cab was a Hot Rod & Ran on the Strip with a Hot Rodded Flathead. The Guys were changing out to a Hot Rodded Y-Block. Cut & Hack Firewall & the Interior Door Panels. To lighten the Weight. They're going to Weld the Doors to the Body. Before they Screwed up the Body, a Guys saw It under a Tree & Purchased the Cab, that's when he Stored it in a Flat Floored Dairy Barn, in 1962. Fast forward to 1985, Friends Don & George were Riding around in George's Maroon 1934 Ford Full Fender Roadster. There's a Kid on His Bicycle that says my Dad has a Car just like yours. George follows up the Kids Story. He found the Cab, in Tenaha, Tx. I purchase the Cab, Complete with Grill, Fenders, Full Chassis W/Wire Wheels, Doors Skins, Rumble Lid, Top Metal & Wood Bows, Boards, Dash & less Moldings. Later, Found Cab Door Moldings By George From Raymond Hogg of Big Springs,Tx. Price $200. Purchase Cab for $3,250 + $200.= $3,450.00 Still got the Car. No. It's not for Sale. My Point is, There's Still lots of Cars & Pickups out there to be Found! If You have the Desire You can Find it! My Next Story is my gathering all my 1932 Ford Roadster Pickup Starting from buying a 32 RPU Cowl from Bennette, in Cario, ILL. In 2009. Found it in Hemmings News for $600. In 15 Months I've Hard to Found 95% of the RPU Parts. (Only 593 made in 1932). Most of these low Production Body's were All made at one Time, assembly run line Production & at certain Plant Location. Ex. Edgewater, Pa. They Made most Assembly of the 1932-1934 Ford RPU. This Plant was the Ford's Major Export to other Country's. For 1932-1934 Ford RPU, a Total of 1,470 were Made. In 1932 Ford RPU, only 5 made in Dallas, & 5 in Houston, Tx. In the Early Ford Manufacturing & Assembly. They had Test Mules, & a Road Track, Design Department, Engineering Lab Building at the Greenfield Village. The Original Blue Prints of these Cars & Trucks are available at the Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn, Mi. It's still there Today. But a Museum. I hope this gives a ideas, to the younger Guys. There's information out there to be found. Sorry, I tend to get off Topic. When it's 02:30 am.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  19. @BigDTexasKid I like the kid on the bicycle story; I was working on my '33 in the backyard and a kid on a bike said his dad had a car like mine for sale; sure it was; but followed the kid a couple blocks away and it was a '34 3W ex race car body shell and frame. Bought it cheap, removed the mint front cross-member I needed and sold the rest the next day for the same money. Later saw some of the coupe body sections on a pieced together cabriolet body at a swap meet; kinda felt bad; as I thought the coupe body was very buildable.

20. Steel33Tudor

Steel33Tudor

Very helpful information contained in this thread and other threads linked here.

21. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

The dead giveaway and quickest way to tell is the grille shell / frame. Note difference in shell thickness '33 to '34.
    1933.jpg

1934.jpg

22. 33's had one hood handle to open the hood, 34's had two. HRP

23. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

24. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Some people insist that the headlight's are the same, not so. '33 Headlight buckets are deeper than the '34s. From the back of the headlight door to the back of the bucket on a '33 is six and seven eight's inches. On the 1934 the measurement is six and one quarter inches. Headlight doors, reflectors and lenses are the same.

Dannerr likes this.
  25. rwh1158

rwh1158

Trying to figure out what year 4PC hood I have on a 34 2dr sedan. It only has one handle at the base near the cowl. A buddy has a 33 with one handle in the center of the hood sides. All I've read says 34's had two handles. But this hood has not been modified that I can tell. Just look for knowledge...thanks

26. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

And that sums it up! Thank you...

28. alchemy

alchemy

Ford never made such a thing, so somebody has to have modified it.

RICH B likes this.