Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SEAT BELTS -- 1934 FORD FIVE WINDOW COUPE

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by grpfly, Oct 9, 2018.

1. grpfly

grpfly
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Guys ~ I would really appreciate some tips and suggestions on installing seat belts in my '34 Ford five-window coupe. It is a purely traditional street car (I'm not setting it up to race). It has solid floors, but don't know if they are strong enough by themselves, whether they are okay if reinforced some way (and if so, how), or whether they should be anchored to the frame some how (and if so, how). Thanks for your help. ~Glenn

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. 1 post in 10 years? Has to be a zombie poster record....

3. Guys first post, he just recently joined.

I wouldn't suggest attaching your seat belts to the frame, if you were to have a accident the frame wouldn't absorb any of the impact, I would recommend finding some large washers or cut some pieces of plate to attach the seat belts to the floor. HRP

czuch likes this.
  4. In 2008?
    I use large washers through my floor and I catch the B pillar for the 3rd mounting point.

Bandit Billy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I agree, never attach to a frame.
    The body would move before the frame during a collision. Cutting you in half.
    Large washers or a hat-section attached to the stiffest part of a floorboard.

czuch and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Lots of seat belt vendors also sell an installation kit that includes big rectangle stiffeners for under the floor. They would make the job much easier. For the coupe I might suggest mounting the two middle belts between the seats to the same bracket.

34toddster and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use big hardened washers under the floor, they are domes slightly with a stamped reinforcement, but if you are worried you can attached a steel cable to the underside like the gen II Vette used.
    upload_2018-10-9_13-12-5.png
    This cable connected to the inside belt bolts and looped through a cross-member mount. I'd do this or similar in a fiberglass car.

8. 34Larry

34Larry

Ditto everyone, that's the way I put mine in, with exception of the vette suggestion.

9. maybe its been a work in progress for while.. ready for belts and a drive.. I but some nice stuff from Autoloc awhile back to mount belts.. had plates and hardware, worked great

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

How about mounting them to the seats like late model cars do?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Just because you do not intend to go racing doesn't mean a seat belt installation should not be up to sanctioned racing specifications.
    The best place to get information on proper installation would be a forum where there are engineers and fabricators of race cars.
    You are getting a lot of bad information here.

12. Whatever method you choose, be it large heavy duty washers or a heavy plate that you mount to, use the fine thread bolts, they are stronger than the course thread stuff you get at places like Home Depot or Tractor Supply.

13. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Exactly. If the body separated from the frame(say a hard enough hit at the right angle) always plan for the worse,. You are screwed !!!!

15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You sure you want belts attached to piece that is connected to the frame?

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't use it on my 34. I have thick steel floors and a reinforcement to bolt through. I was just commenting that if the floor is made from glass and no brace is nearby...this is how GM did it for many years on their plastic cars. The outer was bolted directly into the frame rails.

A lot of worry on here about the body coming loose from the frame in a collision, makes me worry more about the builds than the belts.

17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Agreed with the wrong info here. No way should you ever attach your body ci a seat belt to the frame. That is why in circle track race cars seat and belts are attached to the roll cage. If you got t boned and the cage tore off from the weld either by force or crappy welds , you move with cage. If mounted to frame or crossmember you you would be lucky to die. Major internal damage isn't going to make life any fun.

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with that!

19. No! No! No! If the seat brakes loose from the floor in an impact it is just like not wearing a seat belt only with the extra weight of the seat mounted to your back.
    I am shocked the automakers are allowed to do that.

I don't know any racing bodies that allow the belts to be mounted to the seat for this reason.

20. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

The seats and belts are designed for this, to handle the expected load. You can’t just attach belts to any random seat.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. DennieC

DennieC

First and foremost you would want to rest assured that the car body is securely attached to the frame. I attached my 34 Ford P/U cab to the frame with eight grade 8 flanged bolts with the nuts welded under the top edge of the frame which was fully boxed I would not feel secure with seat belt bolts attached to 14 gauge steel flooring even with big washers but would prefer welding in a 6"X6" steel plate under the floor and then use the thick washers.

22. goldmountain

goldmountain

I would like to benefit from the automakers experience since they use crash test dummies which I Don't have.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Those are great. I would suggest going 3-point for the added safety, it can be done. On my Ford, I had some huge and thick front end washers from my old lower control arms, used these under the floor. My kit came from Wesco and they have a nice B or C pillar mounting plate for the 3rd point.

24. Well look how these old bodies were attached from the factory design. Not quite as strong of a design as cars that came with seat belts from the factory.

25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You have too build safety in as a priority. If you don't cover worse case scenario then Murphy's law and the saying, " don't write a check that your ass can't cash" is always lurking.

26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It's a place where spending the time and money is okay to be selfish for you and your family.

27. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

DCBD13BB-6772-43AF-BBD1-1A9F599C06F3.jpeg

These are vintage aircraft belts that we had nickel plated and their 2” belts Think there cool?. 2A0669FB-6F3A-4265-B2B6-B2CCE379D138.jpeg

figure8 likes this.
  28. Nicholas Figge

Nicholas Figge

Nice interior

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Australia's strict requirements for seat belt to floor attachments requires steel plates 3mm (1/8") thick with a minimum 3750 sq mm (~6 sq inches) with 7/16" UNF bolts. Each belt end requires one of these plates, no ganging up is allowed.

30. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Good Info Bro, you peeps down under seem under the government thumb at every turn. Talk about regulated ....WOW

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021