Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mystery Chevy engine adapter - Hydramatic or ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by QIK 059, Mar 15, 2021.

1. QIK 059

QIK 059
    from Brampton

Mystery Chevy B'hsg Adptr Strtr Mount.JPG Mystery Chevy B'hsg Adptr Strtr Mount.JPG Mystery Chevy B'hsg Adptr Weld Nuts for bhs'g - trans.JPG Mystery Chevy B'hsg Adptr engine side.JPG Mystery Chevy B'hsg Adptr B'hsg Trans side.JPG Mystery Chevy B'hsg Adptr Weld Nuts for bhs'g - trans.JPG
    Hello fella's,

I have had this adapter plate for over 40 years LOL
    It bolts to the back of a Chevy engine and looks like might be for adapting an Automatic Tranny of some sort.
    Reading the Hydramatic articles recently got my curiosity going :)
    Anyone have any ideas on this ?
    It has two weld nuts at the top for bolting the tranny / b'hsg to and one weld nut for a three bolt (Chevy) starter plus a slotted tab right above the starter.

Mystery Chevy B'hsg Adptr engine side.JPG Mystery Chevy B'hsg Adptr B'hsg Trans side.JPG
    Mystery Chevy B'hsg Adptr Weld Nuts for bhs'g - trans.JPG

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Looks to be an early SBC (55-56) starter plate used when installing later model automatic transmissions as there weren't any provisions for a block mounted starter. It mounts between engine block and transmission providing an OEM style mounting surface for the original starter.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To me it looks like an adapter to use a BOP turbo behind a Chevrolet and keep the 3 bolt early starter.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Of course, the pattern is for the SBC, the BBC, and the 194-292 inline six cylinder engines (probably some of the V-6 engines also), BUT, this is a part that was used specifically with the BIGGER Chevrolet trucks. Why, I don't know, maybe to use an Allison trans or a big manual trans? Anyway, it's nothing special, and not really worth anything; they come up on E-Bay fairly often, and usually, someone will be trying to sell one as an "adapter" for an "XYZ" application. Have't seen one yet that's advertised as coming from a Corvette. I wonder if they actually have more to do with mounting a starter motor than anything? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Look up E-Bay item number 254808218584; " GM Chevy 366/427 trudk tall deck engine to transmission adapter plate". $38.75. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Hnstray and egads like this.

5. egads

egads

366-454 2 ton truck to Clark 5 speed tran's.

Hnstray, kidcampbell71 and 302GMC like this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

7. egads

egads

Have had one hanging on the wall for year's. Like to have people guess what it's for.:):)

kidcampbell71, 302GMC and Johnny Gee like this.
  8. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

The reason big trucks used this adapter was to mate to the big bell housing necessary for the 197 tooth flywheel and big clutch. They were also used with small blocks, the one I have was behind a 350. As a side note, that flywheel can only be used on engines governed at 4,000 RPM max, preferably 3,800.

egads and Hnstray like this.