Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel Pump Needed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lake_harley, Mar 14, 2021.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm debating whether I need to put a fuel pump on my Model A. The engine is a "Iron Duke" 151 engine, stock, but a 2 Bbl. Rochester has been adapted to the manifold. The carburetor inlet is 4" lower than the outlet of the glass fuel settling bowl that is on the firewall. Four inches of head (with the tank virtually empty) only translates to about .15 PSI which is very low, but just how much fuel does the little engine actually need...that's the question. At cruise I would guess it would only need about 3 GPH. That's really not much fuel per hour to "leak out" of a gas tank through a 5/16" line. At full boil I don't know what the 151 would drink but for short bursts I doubt it would exceed the rate of 6-8 GPH.

Other info I'll share is that the slope of the line from settling bowl to the carb inlet is ~22 degrees. The fuel line connection at the tank is almost at the tank bottom and the tank has about a 10 Degree upward slope toward the rear of the car. So, with the nose of the car pointing up at 10 degrees (pretty steep incline actually), there would still be gas at the carb inlet.

Since the 151 doesn't have provision for a mechanical fuel pump I would need to add a small electric pump. I'm of the opinion that if I don't "need" the electric pump I would rather not install one. It would be just one more thing to add and also add a couple potential points for fuel leaks.

If it's felt I really need a pump, I'm open to suggestions for a reliable, small pump. I know a lot of light aircraft guys use a small Faucet brand pump for pressure boost, and then only turned on during climb out.

I'm open to thoughts, and preferably personal experiences.

Lynn

2. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I can't really offer an opinion on whether you need a pump or not...but I can offer this: I installed a Mr. Gasket electric fuel pump on my 1948 Plymouth/355 SBC, with Edelbrock 1406 carburetor. The Mr. Gasket pump shit itself soon after (fortunately when the car was still parked in the garage). I replaced it with an Edelbrock electric pump, that has been working flawlessly ever since. I guess it's true...you get what you pay for!!!

3. squirrel

squirrel

Might work just fine. You might want to run an original screen and sediment bowl, and no filter...that way, it's less likely to be restricted by the filter. (tip I learned reading about model T Fords when I had one last summer).

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Run a small electric pump and use it only on climb out. ie under heavy acceleration if needed. Put it on a switch. Lippy

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Maybe a switch under the throttle pedal ? Lippy

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

Why not just try it without the pump first?

Beanscoot and HSF like this.
  7. lake_harley

lake_harley

^^^Makes sense. Just looking for opinion on the chance of it working OK I suppose.

Squirrel....I do plan to keep the sediment bowl at the firewall and point taken about not adding a filter. I'll have to see if there's a screen in the sediment bowl. Did Ford use a "finger strainer" inside the tank?

Lynn

8. squirrel

squirrel

on the 27 T I had, there was a screen in the valve/bowl assembly. none in the tank.

lake_harley likes this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Y not try you gravity feed to a stock manual fuel pump. It’s at least 15” lower than the carb and will have a better head. Personally I would increase the size line out or the tank. At least a 3/8” for the volumn. Good luck..

10. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Well the four inches head is with the tank almost empty - so normally there would be significantly more head of pressure.
    Consider that a lawn mower only has a couple inches head for fuel, and it never seems to have a problem with full load cutting heavy grass until it runs right out of gas.

As for a larger line, the flow restriction will be the needle and seat in the carb, not the line.

lake_harley likes this.
  11. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Don’t know why you just didn’t do this off the bat. No fuss no muss no question. Will probably work.