Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley choke opens, but fast idle won't kick down

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Automotive Stud, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I have a 600 cfm Holley 4 barrel with electric choke. The choke fuctions correctly, but the fast idle cam won't kick off when I kick the throttle. I have to push it down with my finger and it comes off. Is there another adjustment on these I should look at? Everything is clean and lubricated I don't see why it's sticking. Thanks!

2. Ole don

Ole don

When the throttle is opened just a bit, the wieght should pull the fast idle cam down. It not, something is binding it or the throttle hasnt released it yet.

Boneyard51, mad mikey and jimmy six like this.
  3. railroad

railroad

I have seen the fast idle cams with the weight broken off. If that is not the case hold the throttle open and move the cam by hand. It should move freely and fall to the lowest position when released. Check the steps on the cam for burrs and the screw for adjustment. A slight amount of lube might help, but normally not required. Use something light, like a spray silicone, so it will not gum up.
    good luck,

Boneyard51 and jimmy six like this.
  4. I can't visualize the exact choke linkage for this carb, but I'd start by trying to find the fast idle cam. With the choke open, it should pivot freely. Maybe it's supposed to be attached with a shoulder screw so it can't be overtightened, but maybe someone's used a regular screw and caused it to bind up. Maybe a spacer or washer missing somewhere.

There's probably a rod that connects the choke valve to the fast idle cam. Some carbs might allow you to install this rod backwards or upside down. It might fit together OK but stll not allow for full, free travel of the lever, cam or linkage rod. Any chance of interference with the intake manifold or base gasket?

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

I got one that does that, too. but I have another that's OK. and I can't see the difference between the two. I tried enough and have given up. I release it manually, too.

6. 50sboy

50sboy

How did you fix it? I have the same problem. Thanks

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Traditional hot rods have manual chokes! :D

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. Dennis D

Dennis D

Isn't the fast idle screw under the choke assy. on these? Been a while since I fooled with one. If so, maybe it needs some attention instead of the idle screw.

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You have linkage binding or sticking , as mentioned. If it moves by hand and not by itself, it is sticking! Find the bind or cause of the sticking. It should show itself under close inspection. That part should be “ rattle “ loose!
    I prefer manual as most of the time a properly set automatic choke is bothersome!

Bones

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Don't know what you used for lube, but that fast idle cam should be a dry fit. Lube can attract dirt and cause problems.

11. The fast idle cam can break (somewhere close to the line in the picture) and the weighted part falls away so the fast idle speed doesn't drop off when it should. Also they should be dry, not lubed. Lube attracts dirt that can cause it to stick.
    Fast idle cam a.jpg

jimmy six likes this.
  12. 54vicky

54vicky

with 10+ years having past I think he solved problem or is living with it

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That is not the first time I have fallen for that! Lol:rolleyes: I don’t always check dates!

Bones

14. If none of these fixes work, you may consider calling Holley. I have found them to very helpful when I had problems.

15. That's quite likely, but 50sboy asked how to fix the problem yesterday. Now he has more information than was here before.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. Dennis D

Dennis D

I usually look at the date also, missed it this time, oh well.......

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

is the part in the picture upside down., i think it is.im refitting a electric choke to a demon 625 4 barrell vc at the moment very similar to holley.with the choke off you can easily install it incorrectly.im no expert but learning.this evening i had a go.i know how to adjust the flap.its opening and closing.ok but fast idle isnt sorted.if the bimetal element opens and closes the flap the linkage must link to the fast idle.with the red fast idle cam turned upside down doesnt the linkge fit under the fast idle cam in the dogleg at the weighted end and alter the idle speed. tonight i had the linkage over the red cam this must have been wrong tomorrow ill have another try with the link under/ in the dogleg in the cam..i hope im right.ps one vid advised backing of the idle adjustment to make assembly easier.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The linkage does go under the fast idle cam.
    20210316_171306.jpg

nunattax likes this.
  19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanks man im sure it easy when you know how.learnin .it would be easier off the truck!!.

20. Yes the picture was upside down. I stole it off the internet and that's the way it was. Sorry for the confusion. Now it's right side up. :)
    Fast idle cam b.jpg

nunattax likes this.
  21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx its left to right now as well as i fit it