Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jivin jer

jivin jer

The header was installed before the windshield was in, so I must remove that part of the leatherette that was folded into that opening.

Attached Files:

Peanut 1959, loudbang, drdave and 3 others like this.
  2. jivin jer

jivin jer

The creativity of a custom upholsterer.

Attached Files:

3. jivin jer

jivin jer

Masking off the windshield gasket in preparation for the spray glue that's going to hold down that leatherette flap.

Attached Files:

drdave, MUNDSTER, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  4. jivin jer

jivin jer

Major positive development. The header has been installed for so long it retained its shape. Its fits tight like it was still glued, WHICH IT IS NOT. Yee Haw ( Texas).

Attached Files:

5. redzula

redzula

loudbang likes this.
  6. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, after dealing with some "life" issues I'm back at it.

Attached Files:

Outback, Peanut 1959, drdave and 5 others like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

8. jivin jer

jivin jer

I'm not happy with how this interior is going back together, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it. What's interesting is the process that produces the best environment that helps me think about all of the possible solutions that come into my mind. One thing that I don't want to do is to have to take the car back to the upholstery shop, a major pain.

I have to come up with a fix that uses Chris's imagination, and is undetectable, a monster of a challenge. Given what he had for documentation (the original pics) I am fascinated how he chose to solve his problems. I have to work with his creation and at least make the fix undetectable. We'll see how I do.

The thing that fascinates me is my process for doing this, is pretending I'm watching a movie with my wife and how that creates the most productive environments possible to come up with solutions that are worth considering. I wonder, do all creative people do this?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  9. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I built a roof over my back patio last summer and took a similar approach. I just took each challenge as it came. It turned out great, I'm happy to say.

loudbang likes this.
  10. jivin jer

jivin jer

slowly creeping up on it.

Attached Files:

rob-redm, drdave, Peanut 1959 and 6 others like this.
  11. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, I'm no upholsterer, or custom glass guy, so this is agony gutting my way through this. I have to fab up some retainers for the mirror where it fastens to the inside windshield molding. I have the one that the glass guy did but can't find the other one. I have a great local hardware store that has the biggest fastener selection I've ever seen. They don't know be by name but I'm one of the regulars for sure over the years. I've got to take the one retainer with me as I see if there isn't something that I can make work.

Attached Files:

12. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

I just did mine. I put in a new headliner without really checking to see where the mirror mounted. It turns out that it mounts by two screw holes in the metal header. I ended up locating them by using a sewing needle, but mine is a cloth headliner. Don’t know if this helps, but there was no special hardware needed.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Peanut 1959 and loudbang like this.
  13. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks, I'm going to check that out.

14. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

If it helps, I can send photos tonight to show where mine is located. Let me know.

15. jivin jer

jivin jer

Please

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

Hope this helps. The holes in the garnish really got me in the range. IMG_2846.JPG IMG_2847.JPG IMG_2848.JPG IMG_2849.JPG

Stogy, chryslerfan55, drdave and 4 others like this.
  17. jivin jer

jivin jer

Very helpful, thanks.

18. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks again on the mirror etc.. It would be extremely helpful if you could tell me how long those two screws are for the center bar.

loudbang and AChopped1950ford like this.
  19. jivin jer

jivin jer

DAVE! You're a life saver.

20. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

Really glad to help. There are many H.A.M.B. members who generously help others in problem solving. I have certainly benefited from it. When you have time, let me know what you did.

21. jivin jer

jivin jer

Good things are happening.

I just watched a Kindig it Design ( bitchin rides) rerun where Kevdog is explaining how many times a project is assembled and disassembled before their done with it. I'm feeling better about things already.

Attached Files:

Stogy, Peanut 1959, drdave and 3 others like this.
  22. jivin jer

jivin jer

Major impediment to progress and a big distraction, son Dan is building his mother a green house and I must do my part. I'm going to have the glass guy that installed the w/s and b/glass seal the two and install all the stainless trim. This will get me ready to install the Appleton's, a huge step.

Oh, I forgot to add that I got my first covid shot today, and all is well, so far.

Attached Files:

Peanut 1959, drdave, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  23. Lemme guess, mama insisted, didn’t she.

loudbang likes this.
  24. jivin jer

jivin jer

Creative “wishing”.

25. jivin jer

jivin jer

After thirteen years in Texas, this is my first REAL experience with Texas weather, last night. No traditional vehicles were damaged in this event.

Attached Files:

26. redzula

redzula

We had a big-un over in Keller too. Luckily only 1 or 2 this size the rest were pea to dime size and didn't do any damage. FB_IMG_1616642208105.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G781V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. jivin jer

jivin jer

Welcome to Texas Andy!

28. greybeard360

greybeard360

I am in Watauga and we didn't get any hail. But we got a light and sound show !!

29. jivin jer

jivin jer

When I learned how to do the plastic knobs, the most critically important part of the process was...failure. I have to have what not to do, drummed into my head before I can settle down and achieve success, in this case with the A pillar trim. With the knobs, I had plenty of material to work with. I had a lot of material left over from Junior's project. I've almost used up every last piece of it in this learning experience.

I've become a one year apprentice in two months (congratulations to me).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  30. jivin jer

jivin jer

OK, I've got the A pillar trim piece ready to install. There are some very subtle wrinkles in the right hand corner of that header trim piece, and its stuff like this that affects my digestive tract. I would find myself looking over my shoulder at that corner wondering what to do. Should I just leave it and call it done? My experience reminds me of the hours brooding over this stuff. Do I have to remove all the chrome trim and try to remove that header again?

I remove just the r side and I pull at the trim in that corner, just at the w/s area. it pulls out and I have enough to grab ahold of to be able to pull those wrinkle's out, this will work if I pull it in the correct direction.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    loudbang, drdave, MUNDSTER and 2 others like this.