Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm 18 and building my first flathead 59AB+merc crank for my chopped 34 4 door sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jesse Borba, Nov 20, 2020.

1. alchemy

alchemy

Never run a tap down the head stud holes. It will cut the threads too much and you will always be chasing seeping studs. If you must clean them use a head bolt with a slot cut up the side so only stock Ford-designed threads will clean the gunk. Those head studs and their holes are a tighter tolerance than normal threads so there will be less leaking from the water passages.

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some just take a bolt and cut a grove the length of the threads for a thread chaser. The grove catches all the gerdoo that is loosened up when you thread the bolt into the hole but doesn't enlarge the threads.

chryslerfan55 and Jesse Borba like this.
  3. Jesse Borba

Jesse Borba

Does anyone have any tips for removing deep broken head bolts? There is one that it broken off in the block of the 59L pretty far down that I just noticed...

Sent from my SM-J727V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

How far down? Do you have enough threads , say 3 or 4 showing before the broken bolt?

5. if your good with an Oxy-Act torch you can burn through it, or if you have axcess to a Magnetic drill you can drill through it, I have one if you need it.........Carl

KiWinUS, loudbang and Jesse Borba like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Use a head to center the drill over the hole, then some reducing guides to allow a small bit, then drill through it. Start small and make sure you are not going crooked. Some guys have success using a reverse drill bit when you get about 1/4" diameter or so, and it might snag the remains and back it out of the hole. Otherwise just drill till you are real close to the threads and use a pick to remove them.

7. Vernon2

Vernon2

Install a head (this will center a hili coil drill), drill the bolt out remove the head install a heli coil threads .

8. alchemy

alchemy

Why use a band aid (helicoil) when he can do it the right way?

9. Jesse Borba

Jesse Borba

Does anyone have any recommendations for a cam? I'm going to be running 4 inch stroke and 3 3/8 pistons?

10. give PeteOne a call at D&L AutoMachine 306-569-2656 Explain just what ya want and have him grind ya one, he won't steer ya wrong.............

11. banjorear

banjorear

Great suggestion

12. Jesse Borba

Jesse Borba

Ok.... I don't know if I have a flathead magnet in my back pocket or something because I just picked up a 59 AB that is standard bore that turns over. My question is would it be better to start with this 59 AB motor instead of my 59 L that needs at least 2 sleeves and is at 3 3/8 or is it really that beneficial to have the stronger block? Any opinions would be appreciated

13. Budget36

Budget36

Not a bad magnet to have;).

brEad, warhorseracing and Jesse Borba like this.
  14. Go with the better engine,,,,,,it will probably be less trouble at the moment .
    You can always repair and rebuild the other at a future date when you have more experience .
    Tommy

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure you are fully aware of the crack situation with both engines before making your decision. I would at least pressure test both blocks.

16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You don't have to spend almost $300 dollars for a standard leak testing kit. I made my own to do it on an 8BA. You use the stock heads bolted on properly with a good set of gaskets. On mine, I made a plate that bolted on the thermostat housing with a "Tee", feeding a pressure gauge and a Schrader valve. I had two options for the water pump outlets. For the first I found some vinyl "cups (for want of a better word) that fit over the hose outlets secured with a good gear drive hose clamp. I put my air hose on the Schrader valve and gave it about 10 lbs pressure. Usually that was enough if the water pump had good seals. If it didn't, I had a block-off plate that I bolted on in place of the water pump. The first plate I made was 1/4" aluminum and flexed enough to leak. Either use 1/4" steel or 1/2" aluminum.

An early engine would be different. I would find a vinyl "cup" for the water outlet on the head and clamp it down well. The water pump would have to be removed and a plate (with the "Tee" gauge, and Schrader valve installed), and away you go.
    LeakTester.jpg

chryslerfan55, brEad, Hnstray and 5 others like this.
  17. Jesse Borba

Jesse Borba

Thank you that's super helpful!

18. Jesse Borba

Jesse Borba

I'm going to have to agree with you at the prices I keep finding this stuff

chryslerfan55, Budget36 and 48fordnut like this.
  19. Drill a 1/8th hole through bolt first. It’s too easy to get broken bolts out this way so long as they are not in blind holes.

Jesse Borba likes this.
  20. KiWi-L100 would be a great choice.

21. Jesse Borba

Jesse Borba

Got the 4 door out so I can start fixing the rot in the body. I also picked up a lasalle grill that I think would look really cool as a track nose. The rear end set up is kinda wacky with the parallel leaves sticking super far out but when they extended the frame they didn't butcher it at all so it should be reversible. It also already has a 40 ford rear cross member. I'll be putting a 40 ford rear in it that I picked up that was supposedly frozen but it spun free and really nice as soon as I got it home. 1614385892606.jpeg 1614385962183.jpeg 1614386005340.jpeg IMG_20210219_185317_985.jpeg

brEad, F-ONE, ClarkH and 3 others like this.
  22. Jesse, that body looks to be in good shape but we all know that internet pictures can hide small imperfections. I don't know about the Lasalle grille but it is your car, your vision.

F-ONE, chryslerfan55 and Jesse Borba like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

I like where its going!

F-ONE, Hnstray and Jesse Borba like this.
  24. Jesse Borba

Jesse Borba

Got some tape, a radiator, a jack, and the grille setup to give myself an idea about how it would look. 1614389460627.jpeg 1614389609467.jpeg 1614389647536.jpeg

Jeff34, F-ONE, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You can get a much better vision of what it can look like if you post a request on the photoshop thread of what you're thinking of doing. Those guys are magicians and are always willing to help a fellow hot rodder see what something will look like without a lot of work and expense to discover that their idea is not a great idea and was just a brain fart!
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...p-thread-to-end-all-photoshop-threads.300531/

chryslerfan55, F-ONE, ClarkH and 3 others like this.
  26. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Once the springs are removed the frame extensions look a little like wheelie bar skids...
    for the grill i would have jumped for a '35 truck, that is before they turned to gold !
    check out a '34-'37 international grill...pix int grill.jpg stock int grl.jpg

27. adam401

adam401

If that 59ab turns I'd drop the pan, pull the heads, make sure all the valves are moving, clean the oil pump pickup and just run it. Dont over complicate it by pulling it all apart. Just reseal it and run it. Then build another engine later if you want. That engine thats already at 3-3/8 dont even fuck with it right now if your new to these. If you wanna build like a 304 stroker its good but to get the car rolling just use the other engine. Seriously.

chryslerfan55, LSGUN, ottoman and 2 others like this.
  28. Jesse Borba

Jesse Borba

That's what I was planning to do the 59ab seems nice in the cylinders and all the valves move decently, I just need to drop the pan when I get a chance to make sure there is no issues there.

29. Jesse Borba

Jesse Borba

What water pumps would you guys recommend running on a 59ab in 34 ford? Out of all the parts I've picked up those are the only major piece I'm missing.

30. Vernon2

Vernon2

Enjoying this any updayes?