Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 Ford Reproduction Grill / Grille Options

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Steel33Tudor, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Steel33Tudor

Steel33Tudor

Has anyone used a reproduction grille sold by CW Moss? I understand the grilles were actually made in Australia. Are they decent quality with good fitment against stock fenders and hood? Thanks.

2. If your referring to the 33 grille I would recommend the Nottingham 33 grille. a quote fhom there site

"Nottingham’s ’33 Ford Grilles set a new mark in quality; even Henry would take a second look. Die stamped from a single sheet of 20 ga. Steel, these grilles are constructed using original methods with precise manufacturing tolerances to ensure a superior fit never dreamed of with an original. As an exact replica of the original ’33 grille, the triple chrome plated finish adds the true show quality needed for any dream car. Why settle for less? Nottingham grilles are available from street rod suppliers everywhere and are built with pride in the U.S.A. For more information or dealer inquiries contact Nottingham Reproductions at 601-894-2830 or e-mail us at [email protected]."
    I have ordered one for a friend from Pete and Jakes and he was Happy with it, they are high quality

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  3. :confused:Grill, you cook on.:mad: Grille goes on your car.:p

hemihotrod66 and rpm56 like this.
  4. Nottingham is the only one making repro 33 grilles as far as I know.
    They’re a nice piece, for sure. I looked at a lot of them when I had my coupe, but decided to keep my original.
    If you can, try to see the one you’re buying, as there were some that had a slight wave in the stamping at the top left corner, apparently from a die shift. No big deal, though.
    Dan’s Plating and Polishing, Adamsville, TN was doing all the chrome on them, and it was very nice, except for the all over shiny slats. Originals had just the slat face polished and the sides were matte, from what I was able to find.

warhorseracing likes this.

5. uncle buck

uncle buck

I believe there is one for sale on the Ford Barn right now

6. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

7. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

They are pretty nice looking,im scared to ask how much they costo_O. Harvey

lothiandon1940 and rpm56 like this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

$2,350 at Pete & Jakes

9. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I believe that the Ford originals had the grille teeth painted gray.
    On another note is there an expert that straightens originals?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. Gnater

Gnater

No one has any in stock. Your options are to wait and see if Nottingham makes more (they do update the Facebook page), go fiberglass shell with a aluminum center, or patiently scour classifieds, CL, and ehey. Same story for 34.

I called Pete and Jake’s and a few others this very week. Grabbed one that’s very crusty but mostly there and straight from a local seller yesterday. I Expect to pay $2500-$3500 for rechrome at Advance Plating in Nashville.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

bowlingball likes this.
  11. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I read that they claim to make them from a “single sheet of 20 gage steel “. Ford welded on the area around the radiator cap.
    So do these “reproductions” include that area?

12. Yes they are included

13. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I’d love to see pics.

14. Had to "tune" the nose of the hood to fit the Nottingham grille on my friends car. The chrome on the grille seemed really decent. The shiny bars are a little different; but look good. The mod to make the hood fit the grille wasn't too big a deal; but was a little surprised that it was needed. I noted someone else on the FordBarn inquiring about same problems with the fit too; he decided he didn't want to cut his hood; later I learned my kid bought the grille from him.
    left 1.jpg right 1.jpg left 2.jpg hood welded.jpg IMG_20210128_161846_3 (Medium).jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Blade58, Bandit Billy, reagen and 5 others like this.
  15. I bought a chromed one from them. That piece is a work of art. The ones that ware chromed are had picked out by the owners wife to ensure that they do not have any blemishes. Just hope it fits as good as it looks.
    Vic

16. millersgarage

millersgarage

There is a waiting list for Nottingham, and I am on it

17. alchemy

alchemy

You guys should also look at the fit of an original 33 grille. You might be surprised how poorly the hood fits on those as well. Then there's the search for a 33 hood next....

RICH B and 2deuces64 like this.
  18. I'd love to show you pictures , but my friend lives in Colorado and I won't be seeing him for several months

19. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Is that an original hood? If so I’m not impressed. How did it fit to the cowl?

20. Original hood that fit the cowl as it should. The "V" shape of the top of the grill was less than hood; so when the very front of the hood was right the outside corners were well back from grille. The wedge cut with more at the inner side and none at the outer edge let the shell tip back and the outer corners and hood sides to come into place. Easy work; if you don't require exact originality, anyway, it's a hot rod not a restored car.

Maybe this grille was an aberration considering other responses on this thread; but even if it wasn't, I would not hesitate to buy a Nottingham grille if needed in the future. The little metal work we did was nothing in comparison to the cost of buying a good original and getting it plated. The chrome on this grill was very good.

I wonder what happened to the '33 and '35 grilles from Australia that CW Moss had; looked at them at the '50s one year, seemed pretty nice, and next thing they were gone.

Never2old likes this.
  21. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

thumbnail-24.jpeg thumbnail-33.jpeg Another picture of lower part of Nottingham Grille...The hood is Roodlieb and fits perfectly

nochop, 2deuces64, Gnater and 2 others like this.
  22. Looking good and I like the change to '34 hood latches; always seemed to me to be a better arrangement than the '33 latches.

jackandeuces likes this.
  23. Possibly not economically viable. It would be an expensive part to tool for and manufacture, not to mention the polishing and plating. The result is an expensive part, especially if you want to make any money for your expense and effort.

Many people wish this or that part was reproduced, but when it comes to the crunch, are they happy to pay the price? In the end, it's a small limited market.

Hnstray and bowlingball like this.
  24. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

34 car so The hood handles was a no brainer, Rod at Rootlieb said Nottingham was a little different at top front ,so he made hood to fit the Nottingham grille ..I'm very pleased...

25. Gnater

Gnater

I really like your setup! Did you fabricate the “horn hooks” and spreader bar yourself? Looks great.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

26. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Gnater and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. Steel33Tudor

Steel33Tudor

I realize the grill/grille difference, but after shopping for one for months, it is clear that using the word "grill" when referring to a car part has become quite common. Thus, I used both in my topic line (but not in the body of my post).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  28. Thanks for adding that information.

29. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Even back in the 20’s thru 40’s Fosteria was knocking off aftermarket fenders and hoods and other parts, they came painters black and wrapped in paper. Knock off parts have been around a long time

30. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

When I rodded my '33 I spent many hours trying to better the fit on hood to grille. Only was able to get it acceptable, never perfect. I've seen a few that were though. When they're right, they're RIGHT.