Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Blower venting front cover

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bonehead II, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Hey Guys...I just started my blower engine up, and after 20 mins, there was oil leaking from the front where the second gasket is located, I hit the pressure release button and that helped. It appears it does not take long build pressure, what do you do on a long trip ?
    It makes a mess of the engine. Does the front need to be under pressure or could use something like a rear end vent ?
    This is a 383 chevy, 671 GMC Blower.
    Thanks Mike

2. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Just a though..could run a line off front cover to the rear carb with a loop in it, then into the rear carb to burn off any gases...Please let me know what you think....Thanks

3. squirrel

squirrel

fix the gasket, seal, or whatever is causing the leak. You shouldn't have a leak during normal driving.

at least I haven't, over 100k miles on the thing, although that includes a few overhauls.

4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

what sort of engine venting system you running?

5. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

PVC and valve cover venting

6. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Jim, its a fresh overhaul, I believe it leaks due to the pressure it builds

7. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Mike, are you talking an oil issue coming out of the front of the blower vent valve or the engine?
    On my first 671 blower setup, I over filled the front housing on the blower, and had oil all over
    the front of the motor and engine bay. Simply drained off the excess and never had a problem again.
    If you are talking about the motor itself, a pcv system should take care of it if you don't have one.

8. squirrel

squirrel

talk to whoever overhauled the blower, ask them to fix the leak.

It should not build up too much pressure if the shaft seals are working, and if it does, it should not leak if the gaskets are working right.

also, picture of where it's leaking would help. I'm not sure what the "second gasket" is.

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

It requires pressure against the seals so they don't leak while running. The pressure release is to relieve the pressure when it's sitting . If it leaks while running I suggest you listen to Jim and have your blower guy check it out. No gaskets should leak, ever. Lippy

JC Sparks likes this.
  10. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Thanks guys...I will contact the blower builder.