Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roll Call • Hot rods with Spun Aero Discs? So-What coupe, Jesse James roadster, etc?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kevin Lee, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Well, it's been a few years since last run...but to quote tobyflh from 2013:
    I didn't know I needed these till now! Now I have to finish building something to put them on.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php?threads/970139/
    Btt

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

See post #65 as those 16" aluminum disc are powder coaded flat black

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

There are a few sets of steel Discs out there – I did it as an experiment and sold them at the same price as the aluminum pieces. And it's already been mentioned but you can powdercoat aluminum. That said, I'll do them in steel if needed but expect a small up-charge this time around since it is a bit harder to work with and get to lay down correctly.

Of course I can do a set of two – it will be half the cost of a set of four. (pending the material they need to be made from)

If anyone needs steel, an oddball size, etc. just PM me. I'll sure try to accommodate everyone as best I can.

If you want to get completely crazy consider this: Somewhere out there is a single set of copper Aero Discs. They were not cheap and I have no idea where they ended up or what it would cost to make a set today. But man wouldn't that look great on the right car? Hey, it's all just time and money, right? :/

chryslerfan55 and curbspeed like this.
  4. Thanks Kevin, I now have my answer. The copper sounds really cool. What gauge did you use?

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh man, that was close to ten years ago I think?!?! I do not remember. I do remember there was a lot of annealing involved and they were HEAVY. Can you imagine them polished out? Or polished and chromed?

I love seeing how people treat them on the car. They look good raw or polished, but my personal favorite is to see them painted to match the body – that little tan car with the blue accents rules! Jesse James' roadster was soooo close, but I think they would have looked better painted to match the body with a stripe of that greenish color around the cap. (and wheels painted to match)

Then there's your RPU – last I saw the aluminum ones were still raw and looked great.

I dig it all though! I've had a the thought in my head for a few years now to engine turn a set. We'll see – I'm hoping to see more sets making it down the beach at TROG this year.

6. So will these work on 35 wires? thought I read they do in this posting but want to clarify.

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yup. Please refer to post 84.

To be clear:
    16" Discs were designed for the offset of '35 wires
    17" for '33-'34 wires
    18" for '32 wires

Meaning they screw to the outside edge of the rim and the center of the disc just rests on the hub allowing the stock center cap or aftermarket cap of your choosing to pass through the center of the Disc and into the hub as God and Henry Ford intended.

And again, they will all fit a corresponding wheel sizes with the center cap snapping directly into the disc itself.

Hope this clears it up.

8. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Yeah Kev,do a set of engine turned in 16 inch and send them to me. I have 2 sets at the painters right now, One in black and one in '32 Washington blue. Can't wait to get them back.

9. Window Licker

Window Licker

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Man, I never would have guessed they would look so good on an F series but... they do.

Two things:
    First – I'm hoping the person who PMed me about a mixed set of 17's and 15's can get back to me. I read your message but can't find it anywhere – it's as if it completely disappeared. (I hope that hasn't happened to anyone else?)

Second – Just using this opportunity to remind everyone that Monday is the pre-order cutoff – can't promise anything beyond that. Here's the link for anyone who missed it before.

Spun pre-order

11. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

My orders in! These are cool. Now I gotta go get some shop time, they'll look better at speeds higher than "zero mph".

orangeamcs likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

My set was FREE! Took some odd stuff out of the town dump and put it on the internet. One mans trash is another mans Aero Disks. Bob

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

SHIT, that f1 is cool.

14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

can you tell me what kind of wheels you are using? on the f-100

15. FullSizeRender.jpg Aero discs just in the front. I'm oddly fascinated by this look for now.

chryslerfan55 and Jet96 like this.
  16. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_5948.JPG IMG_5949.JPG When I got my spun discs from Kevin, I wrote him back that I was really pissed because now I had to build another car just for them. Kevin got a kick out of that and here it is almost finished. Model A's should have spun discs on them! I'm a fan.

17. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Those discs look so wicked.... Wish I'd seen this sooner...

18. Photo I took of Kevin's old roadster [pre-discs] in K.C. one afternoon. Was fun to tear around the city streets in it.

kc05roadsterride.jpg kc04grimlock.jpg
    I'd love to have a set of discs but I'll have to be happy with my old Chrysler wires.

chryslerfan55 and stillrunners like this.
  19. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

[​IMG]
    Spun on the single axle... :) I need centers.. but I've been sporting covers since Kev found this trailer for me in Kansas.

20. 117harv

117harv

21. DWBlietz

DWBlietz
    from California

23. I know this is an old thread but I put mine on the 34 for shits and giggles. I like them but they won't be staying forever. T IMG_1569.JPG oo many options. This is a steel pair I had him make. Is he still doing these?

chryslerfan55 and Jet96 like this.
  24. Do you have any idea who took the photo of the roadster that was in Detroit ?

25. I'm on the hunt for one 16" spun disc. One of mine got destroyed. Will consider a pair.

Is anybody holding a set they'd sell?

26. Drylake

Drylake

These discs are cool as hell! Anyone have a set of 16" to sell?

27. I think they give my roadster the look just what I was trying for ! 1927-ford-roadster-rear-thre-quarter.jpg

28. oldschool59

oldschool59

DD9C82F5-A420-4DFD-ABD0-B7169CF973D5.jpeg 81441A16-195A-4A4E-BC58-4ED0F7D42E52.jpeg Any info . On this style . They are steel .

29. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I made those — patterned from an original Lyons cover. They were a limited run, made to be held in place with a standard trim ring and at the time I left it up to the buyer to cut their own valve stem clearance.

My schedule is opening up, finally. I’m making a limited run of Aero’s and may dive into the Lyons again. Things will be a bit different this time around.

More info soon.

justabeater37, NoSurf, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  30. modelAfan

modelAfan

Kevin you doing any more runs of discs??

NoSurf and Stogy like this.