Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Cragar SS Tri-Bar Spinners: 2 or 4?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NewKindOfClown, Mar 12, 2021.

1. NewKindOfClown

NewKindOfClown

I finally found a good deal on a set of old Cragar SS unilugs for my '63 Galaxie 4-door hardtop, and I'm excited to replace the 2000-something 18" Mustang wheels that came on the car. Tires are the same size all around (215/60R15 at the moment). I've already ordered Cragar nuts and offset washers, and all four wheels have decent round center caps.

But I've always liked the knock-off look, and I have my eye on a listing for some tribar spinners. Now, I don't know where the idea originated in my head, but I've been picturing round center caps on the front and spinners on the back. Is there a particular configuration that's considered period correct? All round, all spinners, or mixed? I didn't come along 'til a few decades after that era, and I want it to look 'right'.

Secondly: I also picked up a set of rear skirts for the Gal last year that I may or may not install. Assuming there's clearance, would that change your opinion on the choice of center caps?

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

if you are running cragars, I would not run skirts. . and I would run the same center cap all around..(but that is how I like them.. anything will be better than the mustang wheels

3. No skirts or spinners on Cragars.

4. NewKindOfClown

NewKindOfClown

The more I think about it, the 'spinners on the rear' idea might pass if I had some 275s on the rear and shorter tires up front, but that isn't the plan for this car. I think I'll probably keep the round caps all the way around, but I might still get a set of 4 spinners so I can switch it up.

Cragars with skirts definitely wouldn't be ideal, but I found these before I found a set of chrome reverse wheels. Eventually I'd like to have both sets of wheels, and I may pair up the skirts with the smoothies.

Cragars and skirts is a no-go. Got it. Any reason you don't like spinners, or is it just a cosmetic preference?

5. catdad49

catdad49

On my T, front and rear. IMG_0399 (1).JPG

6. Squablow

Squablow

If you're going to run skirts, I feel like you're going to also need a different set of wheels, but you could change them back and forth. Unless you're going for a lowrider look, with skinny whitewall tires on the Cragars and very low, then it might work. I could go for spinners or for just round centers, but all 4 need to be the same.

7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Skirts are for customs. Cragers are for hot rods. Which is your car?
    All caps must be the same.

8. 1ton

1ton

You could run no center caps at all with the skirts. Who would know.

egads likes this.
  9. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Go with the Cragars and the center caps you have. No skirts with these wheels. I echo what has already been said. Even if I ran chrome reversed I wouldn't go with skirts. Let those chrome bad boys shine.
    If you want to run skirts get a set of stock steelies and run caps of some type with the skirts.

quick85 likes this.
  10. Put the spinners on one side only (front and rear) and see which you like better, it's your car.

20190227_212116.jpg

Desoto291Hemi and Matt55folife like this.
  11. NewKindOfClown

NewKindOfClown

That's the big question for me, at least from the perspective of style. This isn't a long-term resto project. It's a learning experience and a chance to get away from the offroad scene and into something I've wanted to try for years. My loose concept, as a budget 4dr project, is building this as if the family car was passed down to a young guy. That mindset reigns in my spending and keeps me focused on the most important aspects. In the real world, it's a simple cruiser. I won't be racing anyone and probably won't ever hit a quarter mile in it, but I love rolling down Main St in it, and it gets a lot of attention in traffic. I've decided against slamming or bagging it due to my budget (and my driveway), so it'll likely stay at its original stock-minus-age ride height. As such, I feel like the project at this stage could represent a hot rod or a custom with a simple change of wheels. At this moment, I'm simply excited to have a set of 15s in the garage!

I've had my eye out for a set of stock steelies as well, if I can find them cheap enough. I want the old style 4-slot wheels (if I'm correct there) and not the modern fully smoothed out ones. The skirts are stainless and have wear and tear with some scratches and a crease or two, which actually compliments the car in its current state. They look correct with the rust spots and the broken layers of paint. I'm not a "patina" guy, but I really appreciate the authentic wear over time of this survivor.

Not a bad idea! If I don't like them, I can always display them with some other parts I'm happy to own.

-----

I appreciate all the opinions and insight!

Matt55folife likes this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

One question.... Why uni lugs???? Them things are fucking dangerous!!!!..... Just looking out for ya man.... :rolleyes:

13. egads

egads

[​IMG]I like this but I'm usually wrong.

14. v8flat44

v8flat44

Call me "wrong" or goofy, but i kinda like it too. I really like the aircraft....Stinson or Waco. Love those radials & i don't mean tires......

61SuperMonza likes this.
  15. Matt55folife

Matt55folife

Put em on n see if u like em! Sit her in the driveway and experiment with all your possibilities. Youll figure it out and have fun doing it. U the one paying the bills for the car! I built my car on a tight family budget to and i made sure it was the way that i liked it. Ive never cared what other people think! Just my 2 cents though!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

egads, bowlingball and NewKindOfClown like this.
  16. 54vicky

54vicky

could not have put it better some just can not make that leap^^^^^

egads likes this.
  17. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

The Stinson is great, not so sure about the continental kit.

18. NewKindOfClown

NewKindOfClown

I never found any Series 61C (single bolt pattern) wheels for the right price in the months I've been looking. This set of 08/61s (unilug) popped up with tires, and I snatched them up. I do understand the risks, and I accept them. I'm very particular about wheels and lug torque, and *most* unliugs haven't failed in the 50+ years they've been around. I equate them to wheel spacers: I don't necessarily trust them, so I'm going to remain vigilant.

I love it! I usually don't like Continental kits, but that's sharp. And I'm a total sucker for some scallops! But hey, I'm usually wrong, too.

I've gone against the grain an awful lot of times with my Jeeps and trucks over the years. But this is new territory for me, so I'm trying to identify the lay of the grain and understand the substance before I start bucking the system. I like to have a foundation in tradition because there is often a reason why things are "always" done a certain way. I may not agree with the reason, but I like to know it before I turn against convention.

-----

As always, I love the discussions here. I've been following this forum for years before I bought something that belongs here. It's nice to finally interact.

egads likes this.
  19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

It's your car... but I've always thoughthat spinners belong on true knock offs (hence the name) and not on any wheel with at least one lug nut!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  20. NewKindOfClown

NewKindOfClown

I can appreciate that. I feel the same way about "simulated beadlocks" on cheap offroad wheels. But when I was a young kid, there was a guy down the street from me who was restoring an old Maserati with knock-offs, and that was THE coolest thing I had ever seen! I've wanted some ever since, but Maseratis just aren't my style :D Spinners aren't quite the same, but at least they'd be going on a Ford from the same era as the GT40. I'm not a little kid anymore, but I still think that's pretty cool.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.