Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ballast resister & regulator under dash placement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groovy, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Groovy

Groovy

Is it a bad idea to install ballast resister and voltage regulator under the dash of my 32...
    I want to keep the engine firewall side clean and uncluttered.
    Pros and cons...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  2. rusty valley

rusty valley

Ballasts get hot, resistance makes heat, that is they're job. so, if you keep it insulated under the base with good non flammable stuff, or keep an air gap, i think fine. same for the regulater, the coils on the bottom get hot

3. brading

brading

Just an idea. Reckon if you made up a cooling system using one of those computor cooling fans you would be good to go.

4. I am planning the same for the Ballast Resistor on my 40. My plan is to fabricate a little stand and use a GM type Resistor so it is out in the air. As long as there is air space around it, it should be fine.

5. 37gas

37gas

Instead of a ballast resistor use a resistor wire. It was used to do the same thing and is installed in the wiring harness.
    Use a alternator with a internal regulator

Frankie47, Von Brush and jimmy six like this.
  6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The auto factory's put these things in side hood with the engine,in the open with a space so no fires.
    Thinking your smarter then the big car factory's engineer's,often ends up as a mistake!
    Lot of things canbe done,but shouldn't..

7. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

You want the resister and regulator in well vented areas. You also want them accessible in case you need to troubleshoot electrical issues..

Truck64 likes this.
  8. ...I've run those resistors under the dash many times, as long as they get air around them, no problems, it's probly in a higher temp area under the hood,..mine get fresh air from the cowl vents,

9. Anyone know where Ford put the ballast resistor in the '30s & '40s; that's right, on the inside of the firewall. Put modern ballasts on the inside many times with no grief.

Put a alternator regulators on inside in olden days too; but nobody uses them anymore. So I'm guessing you are running a generator; in which case I'd put it on the firewall 'cause that's where it goes, looks wise.

10. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Have both in my 36 since 1978 in the passenger kick panel. Both have worked fine with no issues ever over the years and 147K miles..

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

After watching a ballast resistor smoke the paint on a firewall, I'd never put one inside my car! If you happen to leave the key on and the distributor is in the right direction trying to fire a spark plug, they can get extremely hot. And that's not that rare of an occurrence. I'd mount it under the car if I wanted it hidden, not inside.

12. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I put the ballast resister and voltage regulator under the dash on my Model A , built a brace from the steering column mount to the firewall, the brace is welded to the inside of the firewall and mounted them on it. I agree that you need to make sure that there is clearance and air flow around the resistor, my 30 pickup also had a ballast resistor under the dash for 20 years with no problems. The resistor is in series between the ignition switch and the distributor and the ignition circuit is fused on my car. The resistor is mounted ahead of the regulator and out of the picture. There is nothing mounted on my firewall and the wiring to the engine is mostly hidden. plugs.jpg

upload_2021-3-13_11-12-27.png

13. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I've often wondered what the obsession with hiding all the engine compartment wiring is all about , we all know they're necessary , just keep them neat & tidy !

tiredford, alanp561 and Blues4U like this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve lived a very sheltered life but until 1956 Fords were 6 volt and had NO ballast resistor. So where were the resistors placed and why?
    Every ballast resistor I’ve installed or replaced had exposed leads and I would not want them under any dash I owned...

Crazy Steve and razoo lew like this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

I will never put another regulator under the dash again. After doing it on my 32, and being under there to fix, adjust, or just to flash the generator, I am tired of being a contortionist. All will go on the outside of the firewall from now on.

16. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>>I’ve lived a very sheltered life >>>

Yes, apparently you have. The 30s & 40s had a 4 volt coil with a ballast resistor inside. Jack E/NJ

warbird1 likes this.
  17. Panel (using that word lightly) was on the inner side of firewall. The thing on the left is the ballast resistor; the thing on the right is a circuit breaker for the lights; earlier cars had a fuse there. Later cars had two breakers if I remember right. After '48 I don't know where they put this stuff.
    IMG_2828.JPG

warbird1 and olscrounger like this.
  18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ yep--my current 40 has one and have a few laying around-actually was gonna throw then in the trash

19. An enclosed engine bay is hotter than the inside of any care. I have mine on the inside of my T's firewall. JW

20. I have the ballast resister bolted to a modern hi-tech fuse panel. It is mounted on the inside of the firewall using the same holes Henry used in '35.
    fuses 35 (Medium).jpg

Algoma56, XXL__ and olscrounger like this.
  21. Groovy

Groovy

IMG_4316.JPG Thank you all for the replies. I have decided to install them inside. There is a panel where the foot panel and the top of the cowl meet where there is a strip of metal that I can attach an additional metal panel to to install all the bits. It is out of the way of all my wiring and easy to get to...
    This photo shows the P/S looking in from the firewall side but there you can just see a bit of the strip that attaches dash to firewall I am talking about. I would attach a 4"metal panel to this so I can install components higher and out of sight. IMG_3962.JPG

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess I have. Never had any early Fords, only GM’s of the 40’s and none had a ballast resistor and 6 volt systems.

23. Well, crap! Just use a coil that is internally resisted and a [ gasp ] one wire alternator. Problem solved. Isn't it?

Ben

24. Was working for a friend and his friend the two kept try to hide more of the wires. It got to where under the front fender the right turn to the other side look like heck. I packed my stuff and quit. Didn’t ask for my pay just left. Still friends but not doing their wiring. Had an AAW year specific kit. Nuts.

RICH B likes this.
  25. primed34

primed34

I've run them under the dash for decades with no problems.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had the regulator under the seat and ballast resistor and coil on the inside of my firewall on my T bucket. I just had a hole with a grommet for the coil wire going though the firewall next to the throttle rod. Alternator on it so flashing the regulator wasn't an issue.