Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Options for side mirrors?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by WaterlooCW, Mar 10, 2021.

1. WaterlooCW

WaterlooCW
    from Austin Tx

I recently traded an 87 Corvette straight up for a sweet 62 Buick Invicta done in a traditional custom style. Both side mirrors are shaved and I love the look, but I'd like something I could clamp on or that would attach with a magnet or something to use when I'm on the highway. Any ideas? I'd still want to take it off for around town/car show events.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Just pretend it's a LeSabre, they didn't come with one as standard equipment. The Invicta and Electra did, however.

chryslerfan55 and WaterlooCW like this.
  3. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Get a clamp on, add some thin rubber on the attachments so it wont scratch the paint. It would go on the top edge of the door.

WaterlooCW and Cosmo50 like this.
  4. You can put one of the stick on round convex mirrors on the inside of your vent window. Open your vent as your driving. It's not perfect, but it works.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021

5. WaterlooCW

WaterlooCW
    from Austin Tx

Hadn't thought about this. I saw the clamp style from speedway too. The stick on towing mirror sounds like a cool idea. Appreciate the help guys!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  6. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-3-10_8-46-35.png

Hello,

There were other options for us back in the early days of an outside mirror for our 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, as well as those Chevy sedans without the added accessory, outside passenger mirrors. But now, there are nice options for those styles that just require you to roll down the window and clamp on to the edge.

Whether you are using the roll down window or if it fits, the vent window, it can be added and subtracted as your needs arise. The options may not meet your needs, but at least here are some for thought.

Jnaki

One day service from the comforts of your living room couch is not a bad deal, either.

chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

take a look for interior convex rectangular rearview mirrors that stick on, or held by suction cup - had a pair in the upper corners of windshield in my wife's '50 Chevy PU (no close up pics) - had no exterior mirrors - do not have to be monster size - even look at sports car sites too

8. Squablow

Squablow

I've seen some motorcycle guys and the occasional open roadster driver use mirrors held to their left wrist with a velcro band like a watch band. You'd have to hold it out the window when you want to use it, but it's a possibility.

Assuming your Invicta is a hardtop, there's no real good place to put a clamp-on mirror since there's no door frame, and the vent wing frame doesn't really take a mirror well, although I like the idea of a stick on mirror on the vent window glass, that would work.

chryslerfan55 and guthriesmith like this.
  9. 34Phil

34Phil

Anyone make a non-tinted clamp on?

10. Budget36

Budget36

I drove a small PU that didn’t have a side mirror on it, real pain. I realize you like the “look” but I’d be looking for mirrors I like and drilling some holes.

11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I totally agree! No good reason to sacrifice safety for "the look":eek: Having owned both Sedan and Panel Deliveries (big blind spots), I appreciate the value of mirrors. You need good mirrors no matter what you drive...for your safety, and for those around you.

12. I like the 4" round peep mirrors that clamp on the edge of your door. HRP

me67_1.143_1.jpg

13. I have a '50 Chevy panel truck with a pair of the little hot rod mirrors. I find them very inadequate for the job on the passenger side and only so-so on the driver side. The back door windows are more akin to small skylights than windows. Lane changes are not for the faint at heart. Backing up requires getting out to open the back doors, getting back in the driver's seat, making the maneuver, getting out again to close the doors, apologizing to the traffic being held up, and getting back in the driver's seat to leave the scene of the crime.
    I have an interior mirror that is okay for checking cargo but beyond useless for monitoring anything outside. I've been giving some serious thought to installing a rear camera and replacing the rearview mirror with the screen. I'd wire it constant-on with the ignition. These devices may now even be available with a pair of additional blind spot cameras.
    In the case of the Buick, you could keep the stock interior mirror and just clip-on the display when you wish and/or unplug and stash the display screen in the glove box for car shows, etc. Every BestBuy has a kid in the back that installs these camera systems custom for each situation.

14. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

you need a fender or door mount mirror, similar to these. 20180730_141233.jpg 20180730_141242.jpg 20180730_141500.jpg

chryslerfan55, i.rant and jazz1 like this.
  15. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

A friend turned me on to the idea of putting one of the stick on rounds on the passenger side peep mirror. Just buy the one the size of the mirror and no one will notice, but it greatly improves your view.

hotrodjack33, bowlingball and Hnstray like this.
  16. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. A wink mirror would work, easily removable and you can see pretty darn well with them.

Screenshot_20210312-235540_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Brand Apart and porknbeaner like this.
  18. jazz1

jazz1

The flashiest door mirror you can find. Drill some holes. Preferred over the fender mirror which distracts from the perfect long lines on the fender.

19. atomickustom

atomickustom

Do you mean put a convex mirror lens on there?
    I have been meaning to do that on my Chevy forever and just never get around to it.
    Sent from my SM-G981V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

Check out page 3 of Cobs Continental, pic posted on March 7th of a side mirror mounted between the firewall and hood. Seems to mount on the firewall, if you have the room?

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @The Shift Wizard . I added one of those cheap Auto Zone stick-on Convex Mirrors to the pass. side mirrors on both my Panel & Sedan Deliveries and it made ONE HELL OF A DIFFERENCE!!! Had a 5" on the Panel and a 4" on the S.D.
    pan4.jpg pan8.jpg

22. There is really not much that can be done with later car that is "sexy". The modern lines do not lend themselves to fender/door mounted mirrors.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  23. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Yes, the convex mirror. Just attach it directly to the peep mirror.

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  24. 6sally6

6sally6

Wonder why.....(maybe it ain't legal!?)....wonder why nobody has thought of a rear mounted camera with a small screen in the dash/console/rear view mirror/somewhere! A wide angle lens mounted on a license-plate mounted camera could show traffic on both sides of your rear!?!! Sure would make a clean-looking door/fender combo.
    Co'mon!!!.................somebody musta thought of it at Speedway or Summit!!!
    6sally6

chryslerfan55 and Bandit Billy like this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My new Silverado has a color rear view camera in place of the rear view mirror, camera mounted on the rear of the cab. I can adjust the view and zoom. It is nice as I do not see the rear seat, headrests, sliding rear window...just the road behind me. It also has cameras in both side mirrors, front grille, tail gate, hitch cam and see through trailer cam. Trust me if you can think of it, someone is marketing it.

26. Jawsmon

Jawsmon

cameras, cameras, cameras. My latest hotrod doesn't have a place for any mirrors whatsoever. Using an eight inch screen in the overhead console with front, left side, right side and rear cameras.

27. Cree

Cree
    from Montana

39D9479A-3AE1-479D-B6B9-87FDB72F16FB.jpeg Posted earlier, an inelegant solution but fairly surreptitious, extends and angles passenger side peep mirror to see okay around body.

RMR&C and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. I made some 90° angle brackets in aluminium and fitted round Lucas mirror heads. Mounted them using the bolts at the top of the windscreen posts 1990056677.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(8) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones
    from Canada

30. Dyso

Dyso