Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Stay Ford?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Russ Ziegler, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Questions like this always bring the bullshit artists out to spread a bit of manure.

Ford T-5 Vs S-10 T-5 or a Camaro T-5 may all depend on where you want the shifter but mostly on what adapter you use.

S-10 is popular because it puts the shift tower pretty close to where a stock Ford floor shift in a 29/39 Ford sits. Mustang or Camaro T-5 puts the shift handle back right at the edge of the seat or between bucket seats. Not a big deal if you are running buckets but a real big deal if you are running a bench seat.

The other and maybe main issue is The adapter that you use to bolt the T-5 to the Flathead.

One of our members has made and sold one of the better adapters to use with a S-10 T-5 for a long time. Some other outfits sell what amount to being copies of his. Another gent made and sold adapters that use a Ford Truck hogshead off a truck 4 speed that the S-10 adapter is bolted to. I'm not sure that he is still making those at the moment though. I haven't seen a Ford Mustang T-5 to Flathead adapter but one may exist. This meaning before you buy a transmission check availability for the adapter to fit that transmission to your engine. Also check comparative costs for the whole setup.

2. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have and am refeshing a 3 speed O/D toploader for my p/u. it's going behind a 59A . The adapter came from MEC ( Model Engineering Co. ) . I think I will like it fine, but I have found that some parts are getting scarce. There are tons of T 5s out there and parts will be available for a long time: plus Tremec is making brand new ones. There are some pix in my truck build thread.

3. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Love this!
    Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

adam401 likes this.
  4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

T-5 trans arguments on a traditional hot rod site. .:D

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks