Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 Chevy Taildragger rear suspension.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Gas Stove-bolt, Mar 10, 2021.

1. I’ve been gone for awhile because of where I moved to. No internet. Here is what I have been doing. I have a 1940 Chevy coupe that was pro-streeted with a narrowed 9 inch that was set up for a drag car. What I am doing now is converting it over to a taildragger. I’m replacing the the rear end with a 55 Chevy rear end and taking the tubs out. The front end is a mustang 2. What I wanted to know is: The rear has 4 link with coil over shocks. I have two air bags I’m thinking of putting in to replace the coil overs. The 4 link is very adjustable but set up for the narrowed rear. Do I need to move the front mounting points out to adjust the wider rear? I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. emil

emil
    from sweden

You might be able to just angle them out if you do a cut in a well chosen spot.

But might be easier to cut them off, mount them on the new axle and in the frame and find a good spot for them on both before welding them in.

I strapped my mounts with the links in place to my rear axle, then measure everything so I got the link parallel to the ground at ride hight and then set them up in the frame with clamps, measured a few more times to make sure it was all straight and parallel before welding it in.

I have them slightly wider at the axle than in the frame.

Skickat från min iPhone med H.A.M.B.

3. Thanks for the reply. I didn’t want to go back to leafs and am not an expert on 4 link.

chryslerfan55 and emil like this.
  4. emil

emil
    from sweden

Four link is a pretty simple thing really, you just have to be patient when setting them up.

Optimal is to have all four links exactly the same length, as long as possible, parallel to the ground at ride hight (to minimize front to back movement when engaging springs) and as wide as possible.

In Sweden we have a bunch of rules about length and mounted width in order to pass inspection.

If you set them up with straps and clamps and measure everything carefully so it’s all parallel and in the correct place and weld it back in you should be good. That is what I did.
    Will end up making a little blister or jump over the mounts in the floor, but nothing too bad.

Skickat från min iPhone med H.A.M.B.

5. TCATTC

TCATTC

Some of these idiot kids around here could probably give you some pointers
    shit.jpg

emil and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. TCATTC

TCATTC

148417647_3719873268104985_1070882386601198078_n.jpg
    This one may be more appropriate