Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is Jim Gordon's Early Ford Parts in Rosemead, CA still open?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by banjorear, Mar 10, 2021.

1. banjorear

banjorear

Can someone tell me it Jim Gordon's Early Ford Parts in Rosemead, CA is still open?

I've been calling for about a week at all different times of the day and phone just rings. Would like to talk to Jim about a few things.

Thanks,

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The store on Garvey just south of Rosemead Blvd? Not much help to today's question but I did speak to him half a year ago. If no one else replies I can drive by if it like.

The37Kid and stillrunners like this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

4. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Im hoping Jim hasn’t had to close. But with this world scourge killing off business in addition to people....it wouldn’t surprise me if he closed.
    Hoping that it is temporary.

As far as phoning Jim, he has always been hard to contact. He had weird phone hours. I have a catalogue from Jim. Had to make notes on it when he gave instructions on how to get him on phone. Example....’is in shop at 7am, but does not answer phone till 11am’ !
    Nice old timey mag.
    NOTE:
    My good 4E4 buddy , helped Jim move into his Garvey shop in ....1959 !!
    The # I have is:
    (626) 280- 4546

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021

5. If Jim closed the business, that's a shame. We did business with Gene beginning in 1960. Every Ford Dad or I built had parts sourced from Gene/Jim, including our V8-60 midgets. I was needing a main leaf for my current RPU to get the eyes reversed on. I went over to see Gene to see if he had a spare Model a front main leaf. The plan was to get the eye reversed, then swap the leaves in one shot so as not to have the car down too long. Gene was in his wheelchair by then, but he told me where to look in the back room to see if there was an extra leaf. I went back and found a rack of springs with one whole row of main leaves, already reversed. When I came back up front Gene had this big grin, and said "did you find one"? He knew what he had. he just wanted to fuck with me. His next words shocked the crap out of me. I asked what he wanted for it, and he said take it, and get out of here"! That was the last time I saw Gene. A good memory.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Geez, that is hot rod history 101 right there.

7. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Contact Cyclone Kevin, he keeps in contact with Jim. If you bought a roadster windshield frame from Gene in the 70's, chances are pretty good my Dad built it. My grandfather built lower radiator pipes and headlight/horn conduits for Model A's for Gene and well as Model A foot rests. He also rebuilt Model A waterpumps. I made Model A stone guards for him. Needless to say, we knew Gene and Jim quite well.

8. banjorear

banjorear

Hey Johnny,

If you happen to be in the area, could you drive by and see what's up? I hope it's not true, but I can also imagine that it may be.

Thanks,

Tim

9. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There were several places I shopped in the late fifties. Gene and Don Blair were my favorites. Where else can you find business men like them anymore. I remember the original Ford Parts Obsolete, where Gene originally worked (as I recall) before he moved to SG. I wonder what happened to Blairs?? Then there was City Ford with their all night auto parts. Anybody remember the generic auto parts in downtown LA. Was it Ancel? They had a sign that said "we never close" Were there any other snot nosed little bastards who would call them up to ask what time they closed? When the parts guy would answer "We never close" we just had to say some smart ass thing like "how about Christmas" etc. I have grown to hate the mess that CA has become but I sure miss those golden years and the golden people who lived and worked there. I hope Early Ford Parts is able to weather the storm and come back. It should be a candidate for extra financial help as a historic place of SoCal business.

10. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Far as I know, Blairs is still open under the leadership of Phil Lukens. Phil bought it from Don back in the late 70's

tradrod1930 and jimmy six like this.
  11. tradrod1930

tradrod1930

Blair’s is a really cool shop

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I have some things to go out and do today. Will stop by and see what's up.

The37Kid likes this.
  13. AULIZ

AULIZ

I have visit there twice 10-15y ago. Nice place, huge engines. I bought some PSI stuff.
    I still have their old yellow top cataloque.

Real historical hot rod shop.
    Aulis

14. banjorear

banjorear

Thank you!

15. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I bought my first (used) flathead parts from Blair's, a set of Fenton heads. Probably 1963.

16. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Jim worked for Gene from around 1960.
    Great guy
    I hope he is still open

17. Fordors

Fordors

Maybe I heard wrong but I had been told Jim was Gene’s son in law.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Think it was 1974 or 1975 that I got to LA for the first time, East Garvey Ave was a block long filled with car shops & parts suppliers, In My Mind. Turned out 10-12 shops were run out of the same doorway at 9101 East Garvey'

Bob

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just got back. Good news he's still there for now. Found him coming from the metal building across the alley way in preparations to close the Garvey/Rosemead store in 3 month's time he said. Pressed him on relocation plans but he did not give up a straight answer. As for calling. It's as @hardtimesainit predicted he doesn't make phone call's a priority and said to keep trying around lunch time. What his lunch time is? Well as I said prior he doesn't give much of a straight answer. He did however say to let everyone know he's still around and happy to hear he's still thought of nation wide.

20. banjorear

banjorear

Great news. Thank you for stopping by!

21. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Fordors,
    I believe that you were correctly informed regarding....son in law.
    My 4e4 bud, Cliff Williamson and Jim were good buds.. Cliff is older than dirt, but knows stuff that amazes about just about anybody who was anyone....old timers. He gave me that info. He lives nearby Jim's business.

Hey Johnny....THANKS for taking time to let us know that Jim is still with us. He, Jim, was always short on words, when I shopped with him. However, we both talked the same language....lol
    BTW that building across alley interesting place also.

22. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I was there a few months ago and he was open and bought a few things. He said he wanted to run the place for a few more years. Keep trying, it's a big place and he doesn't here so well.

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

When I first arrived to the property yesterday there was no one to be found even though I went to the back. Walked around to the front to see if there was any notice's then came upon front door being boarded up with fresh plywood and shiny screws. Kept walking still nothing as to any notice of being closed. Talked with neighboring business's, nothing. Only answer I got from them "I don't know we never see anyone there".

Back to when I found Jim. It was when I returned to the back to get into my truck and go home. The one thing I left out earlier is this. He's had three break in's in a short period of time (reason for plywood up front) and that the city is on his back for that. Why does the city care about the break in's so much he didn't say.

24. The same C
    The same Cliff Williamson that worked for Chuck Dondavile at Mercury Muffler on Rosemead Blvd. in San Gabriel? Had a '56 Ford pick-up with a cammer in it at one time? That Clifford was the most dyed in the wool Ford guy you would ever meet. He even worked at a muffler shop named Mercury. Great guy!

25. I stopped by there a couple of years ago and couldn't find anyone or get anyone to answer the phone. I love these old businesses!! If it was easy all the time it wouldn't be as much fun.

On another note, I hadn't been into the Early Ford Store for quite some time. When I walked in I didn't see Bill and then noticed a photo collage of him on the wall. Then it hit me that he had passed. I had no idea. I believe he passed in October.

He was a wealth of knowledge and helped me out quite often. Very patient and helpful. I see they have a new updated website up and I believe his son is there keeping things going. Can't take these places for granted. We are lucky to have some of these shops still around.

26. Hotrodder3031

Hotrodder3031

Hello Everyone. UPDAE AS OF 04-08-23
    this is to let everyone Know

Jim Gordon is well, he has NOT shut down Specialty Ford.
    Specialty Ford 9103 Garvey Ave. Rosemead Cal. 91770
    626-288-2290

I was at the shop today! 04-08-23
    I Spoke with Jim he is Alive and well 81years old
    I asked Jim, if it was ok to update and report about what is going on with him and the Store.

AGAIN Jim said yes that would be Fine.
    Jim is the process of cleaning up after the Fire that happened Last year.
    Jim is Re-organizing his stock to make it easier to get parts out.
    Jim will be putting his number back into service as soon as the phone company allows it, has to get an ok in the location due to the fire.

In the meantime he said it would be ok if someone wants something to Email me.
    NO NEED TO EMAIL ME.
    HIS NEW NUMBER IS UPDATED ABOVE SO PLEASE CALL HIM!
    Jim will respond.
    I am a friend of/with Jim, in by getting parts from him started about 10 years ago.
    I will be happy to help you and Jim. BUT YOU CAN CALL HIM HE WILL ANSWER THE PHONE WHEN HE IS NEAR IT!

Thanks and Good HotRodding!!!
    HotRod Sam

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  27. banjorear

banjorear

HotRod Sam, Thank you very much! Such great news.

28. A couple of friends of mine went to see Jim about 6 years ago when we were on a west coast trip. Jim was more than happy to show us around. We ended up buying some Stromberg carburetor stuff and a nice banjo steering wheel. We saw some of the original parts and tooling from the PSI stuff. The place was a treasure house of memories for us. The next year at the LARS, I bought quite a few early Ford headlights from Jim. He shipped them back east for me.

The37Kid likes this.
  29. Hotrodder3031

Hotrodder3031

Stovebolt and The37Kid like this.