Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Ford scattershield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearhead1600, Mar 12, 2021.

1. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

I am not sure if the is in the right place or not but the question is about the price of a Quick Time scatter shield RM6059
    Why does it cost $1,885.95 ?
    That is more then double of the one that accepts the T5 ....
    Can anyone tell me what’s different to cause it to cost so much ?
    [​IMG]

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'm an inherent tight ass with some things and I have thought for years Quick Time bell housings were overpriced. I try to use stock parts if possible. There must be a demand for their stuff even though it's pricey?

3. they are not cheap, but stop looking on Ebay. I bought a quicktime Bell for flathead a few years ago for $650 from Summit

4. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

Hi Jason
    That price for the 8 ba to a t5 is about $841 now
    The price for the 8ba to a top loader is $1885
    Just can’t understand why ....
    I would be ok with the 841 price , even a little more ( nothing cheap these days)
    But a grand more seems to be a stretch

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

I too try to use stock stuff but when they require a scattershield , there’s not many options

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Wonder if there are any used ones available?

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Watch the Holley/Quicktime clearance webpage. The same thing happened to the Caddy bellhousing. It started at $875, then a year later it was $1475, then about 2 months later it was $120 with freight! The HAMB Caddy freaks cleared the clearance room in under 10 minutes.

Here, I saved you $1,000. Disregard.....I thought it was the same PN.
    https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/bellhousings/parts/RM-8059

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Tman and Budget36 like this.
  8. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

I’ll have to check that clearance part of there web site
    Haven’t seen any used for sale

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

You just need to randomly pop in. Someone on the HAMB told me. I was sure glad to see it. It looks like they try and maximize profit, right before they discontinue it.

10. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

What do other guys use ?
    Besides a band of steal around the old stock bell
    I have never heard of other companies like Lakewood , making one for the flathead
    Heard someone used a sbc Lakewood bell that worked
    Im happy QuickTime makes one for a Y block ,, cause that on my list

11. Build your own.....

tubman likes this.
  12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with this. When I built my "D"-Altered drag car in 1961, I got one from JC Whitney for $18.95. It was 1/4" steel and pretty simple and easy to install. We're "hot-rodders"; we build things. Almost 2 grand for a scattershield? I don't think so.

GordonC, clem and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  13. adam401

adam401

I posted a thread earlier this year looking for a flathead scattershield and did lots of looking with no luck except for the one you found. I'll be wrapping my bellhousing in 1/4" steel

14. Contact John Linville, " Old Curmugeon " here on The HAMB. He ran a flathead in his Fiat altered, and his front engine dragster using a modified SBC blow-shield. He will explain how they did it.

adam401 likes this.
  15. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Hey Nick, how you doing? Yes we modified a lakewood and it worked great in our racecars. Would also make a good Chevy to 8BA adaptor for street use.
    Took an 8BA block and stood it on its nose. Found the crank center and centered the scattershield on that center. You can do this using a tranny in the scattershield so input shaft to tranny gives you the measuring point. Turns out there is enough lip on the scattershield to drill holes for flathead. You need to build a new oilite bearing for the flathead flywheel that has Chevy input shaft ID. Length is good for the input shaft. Use the Chevy throw our bearing and throw out bearing arm. You have to modify the starter "bulge" and weld new plate on it if you want to run a starter.

16. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

Thanks , John you must be the fellow the I heard about , doing it with a sbc bell
    I’ll dig out the bare block and bell and have a look
    Yes I would want to use the starter so we might need some info for that
    Thanks

17. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Been doing that for 20 years. Bolted T5's to several and a Richmond 5 speed race transmission to one.
    Not my idea.

18. There ya go.....enterprising young lads........

19. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Might want to take a look at another thread on here : "Adapt any engine to any transmission" for ideas. If you need to fabricate a scattershield out of 1/4" steel, why not make it the bellhousing as well? Takes a bit of time, but will save a BUNCH of $$$!!

20. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Anyone contemplating fabricating a flywheel scatter shield should check with your intended racing association first, to see if they are legal. One piece hydroformed mostly now.

loudbang likes this.
  21. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

As Pete and Oldcrumdgeon wrote above I also converted a chevy Lakewood scatter shield to my record setting racing flathead.
    Once I had the center line accurate the next step for me was adding the bolt holes to the Lakewood for the stock flathead starter plate. To get the needed bolt pattern for the starter plate I placed a stock flathead bell housing on the block . Then bolted the starter plate in place. Now I simply make two temporary support brackets that hold the starter plate on the block when I remove the stock bell housing. I use the oil pan bolt holes to hold the temporary support brackets. Now I put the Lakewood back on the block and transferred the starter plate bolt holes as needed. You will find you may need to add some metal to the Lakewood for the needed bolt holes in a couple of areas but its all flat stuff easy to do. It takes some time to do this but its a very cost effective using the much lower priced chevy scatter shield.
    Ronnieroadster

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  22. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I might add, some tech rules do NOT allow any welding on an SFI approved scatter shield.

warhorseracing likes this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

Could be why the price is so high, must take some bucks I’d imagine to get an approval.
    Heck, here I have to pay double for an EO number for exhaust, vs other states for OT vehicles.

24. I got an idea that the price is reflective of the need for a Flathead scatter shield. Unless you are racing and your sanctioning body requires a scatter shield there is no reason to have one and if you have a flatty fast enough to require a scatter shield you can probably afford to pay out the nose for one.

That is what the seller/manufacturer is going to think anyway.

GordonC likes this.
  25. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

You have that right. An "A" main flathead engine today costs as much as a World of Outlaws sprint car engine.

porknbeaner likes this.
  26. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

The price they have on the top loader design vs the t5 tranny is what I could not get a answer on
    Both are blow bells
    One takes a t5
    And the other takes a top loader
    They are both for a 8ba
    And the one that takes the the top loader is more then double the one for the t5
    Last I checked the top loader wasn’t certified ( haven’t looked lately ) and that was the price

27. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

Thanks Ronnie roadster
    I think the way you did the starter plate is slick and I was hoping to get all the stuff out but other priorities showed up
    Tomorrow’s liking better by the minute
    I’ll keep you posted
    As far as the rules
    I never ever felt comfortable with out a shield
    Heck ya take a governor off a Briggs and spin it hard enough and ya could be in trouble , never wanted to be there
    My 8ba is no record setter but I don’t need to temp Murphy’s law
    Been bitten before
    Rather play it safe ......