Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1925 Chev Roadster Build, 2 are better than 1...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jimmy B, Nov 2, 2020.

1. AND added higher ratio rockers- that head is fantastic!

Jimmy B and loudbang like this.
  2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I subscribed to this right off but never chimed in. I’m chiming now. Fun to watch, impressive work! Patiently waiting (a Larry Roller trademarked term).

3. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Just read your build fantastic and will be following. I really like the radius rod mounts. Amazing talent. Frank

Jimmy B, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  4. Pete

Pete

Dude,,,,,,!!!!!!!

love your approach, your style and the fabrication!

killer work!

Jimmy B, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. Part Timer

Part Timer

Hey there @JimmyB! Great start. Hope you’re doing well.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Jimmy B, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. First I want to apologise to everyone that has posted and I haven't replied to your comments. I have been taking a break since my last post about the 3-port head. I am getting back into the swing of things so more build updates in the next week.

More roadsters the better... and think of it as motivation. You seem to be going well with yours I like what you are doing in your build, working with a CAD program and hopefully having the wood CNC'd that is a great idea even just having a diagram with measurements would be invaluable resource.

I was offered a large batch of Chev hopped up banger engines for a great price but in the end the other parts weren't what I needed for future builds and to import them far outweighed possible resale here. They were wicked cool engines just not what I needed for my builds. This head I made a good offer on and was accepted. It will save work down the track and the added fact it was modded in the 40s adds a cool factor

Yeah it was too good not to buy. :cool:

Thank you for posting & for the compliment, it is good to know people are interested. I miss Larry's postings

Thank you Frank, hopefully I can get enough done to do a new update in the next week, stay tuned! :D

G'day Pete, means a lot coming from you, I have been following your builds for years.

Thank you Mike & I am well. :cool:

Stogy, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. So first pics for a while. I have rearranged the shed the T RPU is stacked with crap and now sits next to the new Chev. I have done some work on dad’s ‘40 Chev truck. The pics below show just some of the crap that accumulated since December. IMG_4643.JPG IMG_4640.JPG

8. So have cleaned around the chassis, bought some parts. My taillights arrived finally. I have cleaned the chassis & currently working out how to run the handbrake, I have a few ideas will stew on them a while. Will start work mounting the front shocks.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] IMG_4706.JPG

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    Outback, Okie Pete, brEad and 7 others like this.
  9. [​IMG]

10. ^^^^ Lookin' good!

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Nice parts collection and good progress!

Stogy, loudbang and Jimmy B like this.
  12. Great thread. Love the creativity here.

Stogy, Jimmy B and loudbang like this.
  13. toddwkman

toddwkman

sweet!

Stogy and Jimmy B like this.
  14. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Love it, really cool build

15. I have been looking thru my Chev parts pile, long have I admired Miller race cars as I am sure most on the HAMB do. Anyway I want to utilise Chev mechanical brake parts to build the emergency brake (handbrake) in a manner that mimics Miller race car brakes. I have a few ways I can build this I have time to stew and layout the best option.

Below is the 1930 Miller Sampson Special that really planted the seed, I plan to have many components Nickel plated when finished.

1930-Miller-Sampson-Special-3.jpg

Outback, Okie Pete, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  16. Awesome project. Keep the updates coming.

17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

A friend in high school had a model A roadster with a nailhead. The brakes were activated by the stock E-brake lever and only worked the rear brakes through the master cylinder. Luckily it was mostly a drag racer. It was a hand full, two hands full.

Outback, Stogy, Jimmy B and 1 other person like this.
  18. Glad to hear you're nickel plating, Jimmy!!!

19. Sorry for the delay in updating, progress is.... slow as I go. I have been waiting on parts and material to start the handbrake. I purchased a hand pressure pump, I may use this or save for my '25 T. I bought the Willys tie rods so I could run the '36 spindles with '32 wishbones without dropping the steering arms.

IMG_4724.JPG IMG_4727.JPG IMG_4728.JPG IMG_4730.JPG IMG_4731.JPG IMG_4732.JPG IMG_4733.JPG IMG_4716.JPEG

20. Starting the handbrake mechanism...

IMG_4737.JPG IMG_4738.JPG IMG_4739.JPG IMG_4741.JPG IMG_4742.JPG IMG_4743.JPG IMG_4744.JPG IMG_4747.JPG IMG_4748.JPG IMG_4749.JPG IMG_4752.JPG IMG_4725.JPG
    IMG_4762.JPG

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

22. Thank you @Six Ball. I do have that issue but it is wearing a bit now, I may buy another sooner or later.

On a similar note, I was finally able to purchase a copy of the October 1948 SCTA program... only took 15 years of trying!

IMG_4775.JPEG
    IMG_4771.JPG

IMG_4770.JPEG

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Outback, Okie Pete, Squablow and 10 others like this.
  23. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool stuff Jimmy.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  24. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

So I just found this thread and am once again thinking I need to get a new hobby. So many people much more motivated and talented than me, I'm thinking I should sell everything. Oh well...

Now on to the important part. In the post about the steering arm, if the engineer gives you grief, have you thought about using a 32-34 left front spindle? The steering arm is forged in like the tie rod arms. I know it's not like the roadster you are inspired by, but it might be a way to get that engineer to sign off on it.

I sure am glad we don't have that requirement here in the states, at least not anywhere I have ever lived.

IMG_0148.JPG Sorry for the poor picture quality, it's all I have tonight. The leftmost and rightmost spindles in the picture have the steering arms forged in. I'll take a picture of one tomorrow (that's Sunday am our time...) and post it for you to see.

Outback, Okie Pete, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Will that work? He'll be steering from the wrong side. :eek:

26. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

It is a left side steer spindle, which appears to be the side he is steering from in his pictures, to be faithful to the Spurgin roadster. But I wonder if they have to turn the steering wheel the other way down undero_O. Coreolis effect...

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Hey, I guess you are right I just assumed. :rolleyes: This has be be confusing.:D And yes I'm glad my builds don't have to be approved by a government engineer though the rest of you might be safer.:)

Great find Jimmy, nice addition to your collection.

Outback, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  28. Cheers!

G'day Dave, thanks for the compliments I feel the same when I see the work of Bass, Cretin & Cody Walls. It is motivation for me to improve my skills.

Thank you for the suggestion about '32-'34 spindles, I do have a pair of '34 spindles I will use if the steering arm I made is not accepted. The engineering requirements are a hoop to jump thru but the end result is a much higher standard of builds.
    IMG_4814.JPEG

Yeah this one is LEFTy Hand drive

Haha steering direction is the same. It would be interesting driving if the Coriolis effect was a factor. :Do_O

Engineering cars here isn't a problem if you stick to the guidelines and the engineer doesn't put unnecessary hurdles in place. They aren't government engineers they are licensed certifiers, engineers from the private sector that inspect and certify car modifications to make sure they are done within the guidelines. A report is submitted to the government and Rego is then possible.

I am really happy to have that program now, of course it had to be one of the last ones I need.

Outback, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  29. Started on the handbrake cross-shaft. I finished one side & will turn the other side this afternoon. IMG_4805.JPG IMG_4806.JPG IMG_4807.JPG IMG_4811.JPG IMG_4812.JPG IMG_4813.JPG

Okie Pete, BrerHair, brEad and 3 others like this.
  30. No we don't, but that would be interesting... like the 'backwards brain bike'...

Glen.

Stogy likes this.