Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A headlight/bulbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bt34, Mar 11, 2021.

1. bt34

bt34

Hi all.

As it is now March 2021 what is the latest news on Model A headlights.
    I have 12volt system with an alternator.
    At the moment I have stock A headlights with 32/50 bulbs with new Synders reflectors.
    The bulbs have been adjusted as per orginal.
    I also have a set of Halogen bulbs with matching reflectors.
    I am not happy with either of them.
    What do you guys recommend?

Cheers

2. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Thinking out loud: have you considered the LED bulbs with the built-in lenses? That way you are less dependent on your existing reflector and lens at least (iirc) for the low beam. This sort of thing:
    [​IMG]

3. bt34

bt34

So can these be used with stock Model A reflectors ?

4. bt34

bt34

Ok but I wish to use the orginal Model A housings ???

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Presumably you'd need some kind of adaptor, and I'm not sure how much space there is between the back of the reflector and the inside of the bucket for the heat sink.

If your reflectors are in good nick —you say yours are new, and presumably optically correct?— there are non-mini-projector LEDs available. By all accounts they work well: I don't have direct experience. Here's a source in Australia: http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/ and another in the UK: http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/online-shop-for-led-bulbs-and-light-boards-etc.php. They also have the advantage of giving very basic electrical systems a much easier time.

I know that halogens in reflectors designed for incandescents tend to locate the filaments incorrectly, which might be your problem.

6. What specifically is it about the halogen bulbs & reflectors that you're unhappy with?:confused:

7. Years ago, I used halogen seal beam conversation in my Model A headlights.
    Always found them to be satisfactory in over a 100k miles all over US and Canada.

On my current rod I have used the modern design reflectors developed by Bob Drake for use with H4 bulbs. You'd have to study his web site to see if there is a size that would work on A lights as he is a V8 era shop. These units provide the best light you will get from a vintage bucket/lens.

bt34 and Just Gary like this.
  8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

First of all, the Model A headlights weren't great when they were new. I have owned several restored Model A's and driving at night was always sketchy. You don't state which type of reflector that you purchased from Snyders. The reproduction chrome reflectors only give you about 65%. The repo polished aluminum, give about the same as the original silver plated at about 92%. Industry standard for reflection is 80%. Once the silver starts to tarnish it reduces it drastically. Bratton's sells the polished aluminum, with a relocated center socket, and the deeper reflector, as per the Ford Blueprint and claim a better lighting.

stillrunners likes this.
  9. rusty valley

rusty valley

I have the kit that put a modern sealed beam bulb in behind the stock model A lens. most folks can't see them in there, and they work very well, and bulbs are easy to get. I drive at night a lot

stillrunners and pprather like this.
  10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you checked the voltage at the lamp? I have 6V on one of my Model A's that the headlights are fine because I ran separate, dedicated ground leads all the way to the light socket in the headlight housing.

stillrunners and bt34 like this.
  11. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

They have recently come out with this brand of LED lights that fit in Model A headlight housings without any mods. A few of my Model A friends are using them in their stockers. They seem to adjust (focus) like stockers and are not just bright light but actually have a pattern. So far the guys seem to be happy with them.

12. You'll never get modern performance out of a 80+ year old lens design, but guys keep trying....

Remember, the Model A had a four-cylinder flathead, non-syncro trans and mechanical brakes. Why would you think the headlights have any better technology or are capable of being upgraded?

There was a reason for near-universal adoption of sealed beams on hot rods in the late 40s/50s/'60s; they worked much better. The originals were designed in and for an era when top road speeds were typically 50MPH or less. It wasn't until the 'resto-rod' craze in the early '70s that OEM headlights came back into vogue, along with all their limitations.

Want the best? Cibie halogens. High-transmission optical-quality glass lenses, first-class reflector silvering, and more 'natural' (closer to actual sunlight) color rendition that your eye is evolved to 'see'. I've owned/driven cars with all types ('old' sealed beams, halogen, HID, and LED) and the halogens win hands down...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    bt34 likes this.
  13. bt34

bt34

The general lack of light...no distance either.

14. bt34

bt34

In reality you have nailed it....cheers.

15. bt34

bt34

Do you have a part number or where you purchased them ? TIA

16. rusty valley

rusty valley

Purchased at Brattons antique auto. They barely fit in the bucket, you need to bend the prongs over flat, then slide the wire ends on separate. No room for the standard socket

bt34 likes this.
  17. bt34 and rusty valley like this.
  18. I'd like to know that too. I have run Halogen bulbs in my '28 head lights for over 20 years. Bright white light that can make on comers flash their lights at me to dim them even when I'm on low beam. And, yes, I know how to aim Model A headlights.

19. rusty valley

rusty valley

Dean, I think if you are running the original ford reflectors you have a pretty good set up. Problem is many folks choose to buy new reflectors because its cheaper than having the old fords silver plating redone. The new reflectors are chrome plated, which is quite a bit less a reflector material, and above all, they are not made to the same shape as fords so the light does not project as it should. there have been many discussions with tests on all the model A forums for many years now

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you can fabricate a little you can rework your Model A reflectors to accept halogen sockets, and then buy LED adapter lamps to fit the halogen sockets. But since you already have halogen retrofit reflectors, simply buy LED lamps for the type of halogen sockets you have.
    I've done the adapter route using junkyard donor reflectors on several old cars. I simply drill out the sockets with a unibit, and then cut the donor reflector and use JB Weld, and pop rivets to mount it behind the old reflector. I've also done this to old running lights to turn them into turn signals using 1157 repair sockets. These are the headlight reflectors I built for my '39 Chev. Whopping $25, including a pair of LED headlamps. Those are halogen lamps in the picture, but put LED's in before assembling them.

[​IMG]

rusty valley likes this.
  21. From what I have read Bratton's has the best reflectors and Ron Francis wire works has the best bulbs.
    Charlie Stephens

22. bt34

bt34

Another factor is the height of my headlights.
    They are much lower than the orginals.
    This pic has the orginal bulb style. 32/50 (and mismatched parklights)
    [​IMG]
    That picture has the Halogen bulbs fitted.
    [​IMG]

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  23. My reflectors are/were new chrome ones when I built the car.

Just Gary likes this.
  24. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would be careful about cutting the back of the reflector out and pop riveting a donor in there as it could upset the focus. On originals you can’t focus the screw too far or the fuse goes pop when it the holder meets the screw. Well mine did anyway . There must be an easier way to source parts down under .

25. BTW, Cibie stopped making the H4 lights. Daniels website now sells a Japanese brand that he says is better.

26. Well, I'm glad I got my 7" round ones before they discontinued them... the new ones won't look right. I am in the market for the full set of the smaller lights though...

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you're only removing the socket, how can it "upset the focus"? I have no issues with mine, and have done this to my '37 and my '39, with great results.

28. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

logo lights work good. You can run them with a generator, they are bright and don't draw like the halogen bulbs. Berts Model A in Denver sells them.