Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1934 Ford RPU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tex50, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Tex50

Tex50

Didn’t know how to upload pictures before, just want to share some with the H.A.M.B. now.

Attached Files:

LOST ANGEL, nor6304, bymanr and 13 others like this.
  2. She's a beaut!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Very, very rare Ford. Last year for an RPU, only around 200 built from left over '33 cabs. Jim Gordon, who run's Gene Scott's former operation, has one. He found the cab in a massive old ford junk yard Gene owned, and built up a nice RPU with other '34 parts.

Stogy, 51 mercules and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good looking vehicle!

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

6. Very sweet.and Ford powered too.Looks like it fit with out cutting the firewall.

7. I have seen the roadster pickup that Jim Gordon has, nice job. when I lived in San Francisco in the mid 1950's someone had a 1932 Ford roadster pickup that I used to see parked on Union Street across from Castle Alley.

Stogy, AVater and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

One slick 1934 RPU.

9. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

That RPU was or still is in Honolulu Hawaii and had been on EBAY awhile back.I wonder if anyone bought it?

Stogy likes this.
  10. brady1929

brady1929

11. Tex50

Tex50

Thanks!

cactus1 likes this.
  12. Tex50

Tex50

I spoke to Mr. Gordon awhile back and I know that he’s a very busy person and I appreciated that he took the time to talk to me about his RPU. His is tan w/ black fenders , Chevy drive train as I remembered. Thanks for your reply.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Tex50

Tex50

Thanks!

Stogy likes this.
  14. Tex50

Tex50

Thanks for your comment, glad you like it.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Tex50

Tex50

Thanks, yes the firewall is stock and uncut.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Tex50

Tex50

Thanks for the reply. Spoke to Mr. Gordon awhile back. I haven’t seen his rpu but he said it was tan/black, Chevy powered.

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and 51 mercules like this.
  17. Fordors

Fordors

The ‘34 RPU looks to have been built in the Jimmy Pflueger style, any connection to him?

Pete Eastwood and Stogy like this.
  18. Tex50

Tex50

Thanks for your comment. What part of Arizona are you from? Have cousins in Chandler, Gilbert, and Sierra Vista.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Tex50

Tex50

Hi, thanks for your comment, all the way from France! Yes, it still is in Hawai’i. It did not sell at that time. I’m still enjoying it.

20. Tex50

Tex50

Thank you! Yes she’s well preserved. Have cousins in Gilbert and Chandler.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Tex50

Tex50

Yes, this particular 1934 Ford RPU was one of the last hot rods in Jimmy’s collection. It is all Ford powered, traditional old school build. He also had a 1933 Ford RPU, Chevy drive train that was sold about 16 years ago. Thanks for recognizing and commenting on this post.

Dean Lowe, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

I'm calling Northern Az. home.

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Tex50, welcome to the Hamb...your in good company...congrats on the new wheels...it's been given a good loving it seems...;)

24. whiskeyjack

whiskeyjack
    from Minnesota

Outstanding roadster pickup! The bed and box sides are absolutely perfect- I appreciate this detail more after restoring my closed cab pickup.

25. Tex50

Tex50

Stogy, thanks for welcome message, I appreciate it! Yes this RPU has been well cared for.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Tex50

Tex50

Hi Whiskeyjack, thanks for your comments, appreciate it. Have been to Back to the Fifties a couple of times. Unreal event!

Stogy likes this.
  27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Pretty nice to see a story involving Antique Automotive’s longest ever employee and the late Gene Scott’s right hand man. That being a Hot Rod unsung hero, Jim Gordon. I call Jim a good friend and so should many new & Ol School Hot Rodders. way before any enthusiasts had a place to buy a set of brackets along cones “PSI”, now there was a place to buy many of the suspension pieces that in one way or another we use today.

When an enthusiast wanted to mount a different set of wheels w/o doing a bolt pattern change along comes “Wheel Adapts”. When the whole “Fad T”craze was on, they were there and many now recognizable “Big Names” used there T products. This place started as a “Obsolete Ford” an OEM Replacement Parts source. Those parts weren’t cheap then nor are they now, but if an enthusiast needed that part, this was the source.

Many recall the R&C 29 A-V8 of Bud Bryan and through this parts source did it get its start.
    Jim Ewing, Vic Leon got their “Super Bell Axle Co”. by switching around Gene’s axle companies name from The “Bell Super Axle” line of PSI components as they both worked for Gene, as did Eric Vaughn, Dick Scritchfield & even Billy Vinther an Bill Burke.
    Someday this place will be gone.

It’s been a part of my life since I was born, but this is about A 34 RPU. Jim Gordon does have a 34 Pickup and it’s a hybrid.
    Gene knew that Jim liked a certain RPU cab that needed a bunch of work on it, Gene wouldn’t sell it to Jim, so Jim went out and bought a 1934 Closed cab driver small block powered street rod. He & Gene attended Street Rod Forever Meetings & Picnics.
    Jim has been a member for 3 + Decades. Jim drove his closed cab around for a little while when Gene said to Jim to “get that cab out of the warehouse
    and take to Fernwood Autobody, Pasadena”.
    Well with that statement that RPU cab was then gifted to Jim as Gene as I said wouldn’t sell it to him.

The body work was started and Paul Winson, a couple of body techs and myself worked on getting that cab in shape. Many hours were spent on it. We finished it up @ A&P Autobody in Monrovia which Paul had purchased from Paul Gialich who’s brother Anthony had past away just before.

Jim brought in all of the front sheet metal, we painted it all at the same time as the cab.
    it came out nice..... the interior was stitched at the same place and it looks great 25 yrs later.

I never stated what year this cab is, but it’s a very rare 1932 model which means it has the removable firewall. Hence the reason for the term Hybrid.
    A little 32 and a little 34. my favorites......

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    alchemy, lurker mick and Stogy like this.