Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Thoughts On Today and Tomorrow For Inspiration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, Mar 9, 2021.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

I'm almost 82. Will be 4/19. If the average age for a boomer born in 1940 is 77, I beat the odds . How ever those born from 1927 to 1946 were" the silent generation", boomers came after 1946. Still not real enthused however. Up until the winter of 2017 everything was ok. Health started down hill fast with the first in January of numerous Mini strokes and are still happening periodically. Then came high blood pressure, an extreme case of the shingles, and diabetes type II. I shook it off and continued what I had always done around the place, maintaining, landscaping, and working on my ride. Then the arthritis in the hands, so bad at times I could not hold a wrench. Still I refused to give in. Then came this virus. Well, that and my wife's dementia. That and being cooped up 24/7 and the dark cloudy winter weather has put me in a terrible funk. I posted this week about not being able to have any incentive to go out and work on the 34 and received many, many encouraging posts that I greatly appreciate and am working on implementing. Knowing now that I have out lived the average, and done so with gusto, makes me realize my good fortune. Still friends it hard as hell knowing you'll never be able to do what came so natural. Well I said enough on this, that's for sure. Here is thanking everyone who commented and addressed my post on no incentive, be assured your advise is well received and today a couple of hours were spent under the '34.

2. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

One cool spring day I took my OT convertible to the beer store, it was too cold but i put the top down anyway.

At the store I ran in to a friend of my dad’s. At the time I was 24 and he was about 65 and seemed like an old guy to me.
    He said “do something everyday that makes you feel alive”,
    Then got in his ‘59 corvette and drove off with the top off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wicarnut, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  3. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Guy Patterson, @210superair Right on fellow March Birthday H.A.M.B.er's ! Both of you know how cool this month is and I will be thinking of you both as I celebrate all of our Birthdays this month. And the same to all of the fellow HAMB members that are born in this month !
    My preferred libation is Casa Noble' Tequila, very smooth !
    casa noble'.jpg

4. gene-koning

gene-koning

When I was young, I lived my life on the cutting edge. I was angry, strong headed, and basically cared for little except for myself. I would have ripped your head off if I thought you was looking at me funny. From the time I was 18, anyone that knew me always said I'd never live to be 50, and I had no reason to doubt them. I did mellow just a small bit as I grew older, but everyone still told me I'd never live to be 50.

One day something very strange happened, I turned 50 years old! I was totally shocked, I never expected that day to arrive! That one day, I discovered that everything I thought I knew had the potential to be very wrong! To say it changed everything in my life would probably be an understatement! What was I suppose to do since I lived past the time I thought I would be dead by? The answer came to me very abruptly, change the way I was living! Change I did, nearly everything was going to be different.

I'm a different man now, then I was before I turned 50. I feel I am blessed to have lived two very different life perspectives, it sure helps when other people are involved. I've discovered since I've turned 50 that there really is only a very few things you can control about your life. The most important thing you can control in your life is your attitude. It is the only thing this world can not force you to change, unless you let it. The world can make it tough, but you get to choose every second what your attitude will be. A positive attitude makes things much better. Its hard to maintain a positive attitude all the time, but when you notice things are changing for the worse, you have the power and the ability to change it back towards the good. Being with other people with a positive attitude makes it easier to maintain one yourself.

If you keep finding yourself with a bad attitude, you probably need to change your friends! Seek out positive people, they really do exist. Gene

5. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@gene-koning
    Bravo Gene on this excellent post for this thread. I know exactly what you mean. I had this poster made and laminated to leave on the wall by my desk and work area when I retired from FOSS Maritime Co. back in 2019.

I left it as a source of inspiration to the crew left behind and to all of the upper Corporate management that would see it, when they came into our area. I hope that everybody that sees this, can appreciate it!

teddy says (2).JPG

wicarnut, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  6. grumpy65

grumpy65

So happy to hear that Larry.
    It's been a shitful past 12 months here too. I decided that if time is short, I will not waste a single second, no matter what happens. If life is throwing curve balls, keep swinging and hit one out of the park. Focus on making every minute count.............;)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  7. loudbang

loudbang

Well after my triple bypass 6 years ago the doc told me the heart is the only organ we can rebuild like a car engine. He said if you give up drinking, loose women, and smoking it will give you 40 more years of service. Thought about it and was heading that way until when I was going home I asked how much should I expect if I DON'T give all that up?

He said cut it in half 20 more years well I told him I will take the 20 and enjoy life. :) Still got about 14 left that will take me to 85 and that is enough for me. :rolleyes:

wicarnut, rod1, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  8. I never paid much attention to age. Even after I turned 70 I kept doing what I wanted albeit a little slower. But the last few years I have slowed down tremendously, harboring on the verge of laziness.
    I think it is finally coming to light that I am not just out of shape now but that old age has actually started to sink in. I can't do nearly as much as I used to do either as energetically or as long. I hurt all over more than anywhere else and its always something. Realizing my situation I now know and accept that I am no longer 30 years old and can't perform like a 30 year old.
    So, I take much longer to do anything. That's just the way its going to be.
    And this statement is meant for my inner self..."so get off my back and stop asking me what I have accomplished today."

9. reyn

reyn

Age really snuck up on me. This last few years I have slowed considerably. This coupe I'm working on was going to be a quick job, but it has been 7 years. I have been making a lot of parts, which slows it down.

In November I decided I was going to drive it before I hit 70 which is this year. Since then I have been working 40 hour weeks to finish and it is taking i'ts toll on my body.
    No more big jobs after this. Take it easy and enjoy every day I have left.

10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been a "ball of fire" my whole life...always on the move doing something. At 68 years old, I've been blessed with pretty good health and have never even spent a night in the hospital.
    Then...this year I suddenly got OLD. I broke my fucking ankle on Dec 1 and was laid up for the past 2+ months. Well, I'm getting around OK now... but it's unbelievable how much my body, and my energy level has atrophied in that short period of time...I feel like an old man.:(
    I've really got to work on this...it's just NOT acceptable...I've got too much shit to do yet!:mad:

Thanks for letting me vent;)

wicarnut, 56don, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  11. Funny, I thought growing old would take longer.:(

wicarnut, 56don and Thor1 like this.
  12. grumpy65

grumpy65

This thread is supposed to be thoughts for inspiration. It seems to be morphing into a 'look at all my problems' kind of thing. Lets get back on track.

My wife and I decided at the start of last year that we would wake up in the morning and listen to the birds dawn chorus, and then get up and 'do today'. Then tomorrow we will do the same, listen to the birds, and do tomorrow.
    Works well.............one day at a time......

13. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

It’s 20c here today which is extremely warm for Canada in March.
    I picked the kids up from school and then me and my 5 year old boy played hot wheels cars in the backyard for an hour.
    I can catch up on office work after he’s asleep tonight.
    He told me this was the best day ever.
    Whatever problems I had I’ve forgotten them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wicarnut, 56don, rod1 and 3 others like this.
  14. v8flat44

v8flat44

I don't buy onto "life expectancy" stuff. I know several who lived past 90 and did well. A church friend is 101, drives fairly well, shops for himself etc. He was a railroad man. Have a few more in their 90s who do pretty good too. My back yard neighbor is 84, leagally blind & has 1 kidney....still works on his 3 riding mowers, cuts wood & takes care of his wife. The Good Book says "our days are numbered. This inspires me to say...."this is the day The Lord has made, be joyful and glad in it". At 77 i say, keep going till you can't, and pray all the way.

15. ken bogren

ken bogren

I get inspiration right on the HAMB from the guys who are still building in their 70s and 80s or guys that post things like not being able to manage a manual tranny and clutch easily anymore so they're installing an automatic because they aint giving up driving their dreams.

wicarnut, olscrounger, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like your attitude...and your choice:D