Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage I have the hamb to thank for this...a story of one punks journey.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Howdy ya'll!

I wanted to pop in and give some credit where it is due and acknowledged the profound impact this place has had on my life.

I first discovered the Jalopy Journal and the board around 2005 or 2006. It took me several years to even join the place, as it was kinda the wild west back then, and stupid questions from newbs generally got enough flames to get the fire department called!!

At the time I didn't even really know what I was looking for. I had some old cars, but nothing hamb friendly. I was definitely wanting to build a "rat rod" not knowing what that even really was at the time. I just liked old cars, anything older than me anyways. 1983 model year here, for your information.

I knew I didn't like the barbed wire and iron cross bullshit I saw in the mags with 70's low compression 350's and a 4 barrel topped off with a Cadillac batwing aircleaner and automatic trans. All Stuffed in a off brand 4 door scraping the ground. Flat black with red wheels of course! ( no offense intended)

I was instantly drawn to the older pictures from the 40's and 50's. well, I guess I caught the bug bad! All I could think about was real hot rods! Stuff that is traditional as fuck. I finally learned enough about period correct traditional hot rods and their construction to start asking what I knew I didn't know... and then came the questions I didn't even know I didn't know!! So I finally worked up the balls and I joined in 2008.... Some 7000 odd post later and I'm still here. I somehow haven't gotten kicked out yet...and not for lack of trying...

So here we are, 13 years later...I'll be 38 this year, i haven't settled down, but I still love hot rods.

I've built a few cars, some have been finished and others not. Then sold off. I've built some customer cars...all out of a little 2 car garage. And Its been a blast...I am having the time of my life! I daily drive a banger powered 31 Ford!

One thing I have really started to love over the years is the hunt for parts. To put it mildly, I have an addiction to buying and selling things. To be fair, it's how I pay some of the bills. I'm a constant scrounger. Always looking for that hint of old sheet metal at the tree line. Always looking for the give away. Rear-end housing for a mailbox post. Old signs or pumps. You know it when you see it...it's like spotting the old hobo signs. "A hot rodder lives here"

Anyways...my point is. When I found the hamb I was a young punk with no direction. I loved old cars, but I'm not sure I ever knew what it would become...Hot rods have turned into a business for me and I think I have the hamb to thank. It was the hamb and then my own trial and error that taught me how to build good hot rods. It was the hamb that I learned how to identify old car parts and the clues to their maker. This place helped mold me into who I am today....For better or worse.

Anyways the last couple years I have been in a 2200 sqft rented commercial space. It's cramped. But better than a 2 car garage! And at the beginning of this month I closed on 5 acres with a house with mother in law, a cabin, and a 3200 sqft shop.(house has a 2 car as well.) Anyways, I thought I better show you guys. I'm really thankful for everything I have learned here. For all the friendships and advice. Thank you guys. And thank you @Ryan for having the best damn website on the planet!! I don't know where I'd be without you guys....probably prison.

Smooches,
    Hitchhiker

P.s. all the totes you see are full of inventory of old car parts. It's a sickness!

Outside shot from in front of the house.

20210226_094214.jpg

big enough to pull a truck and trailer into!

20210302_223624.jpg
    View from the porch

20210308_120011.jpg
    Lemon drop in the front "show room" area. Check out my grill shelf....need a couple more!

20210308_194747.jpg

Totes galore. It's messy. I'm still moving.

20210308_194551.jpg
    32 and 34 Truck projects

20210308_194606.jpg
    Messy still. Checkout that shelf full of early ford transmissions! Yes. I am a hoarder.

20210308_194612.jpg

First time inside in a few years...

20210308_194620.jpg

2. cretin

cretin

Congrats on the new place man. You're the same age as me and discovered this place around the same time as I did. This place has had a large influence on me as well. The reason I do what I do? No, but certainly influential.

3. You young guys are an inspiration to us old farts. Keep up the good work. All is well with the hobby.

4. passion and hard work = success.

5. Nice, a car guy needs space.
    Congratulations on your new place.

6. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

Nice work, nice shed just don’t get caught up in the us vs them streetrod stuff,,,, it’s a fashion , the nostalgia scene guys were building, pro street or at least fast steel or glass cars during the 80s 90s& 2ks with center lines and fast small blocks etc till nostalgia came along(largely due to the rat rod scene stealing the limelight off rodders)then slow flatheads and whatever pre 69 shit heap engine as long as you can get a pair of finned rocker covers came along and it’s cool and traditional,,,,build whatever you want with whatever you have ....that’s traditional way to build , in your shed by your self and with zero fucks of time ,place,fashion or skill,,, build the fastest old car you can for the least amount of money,,,,, that’s hot rodding, let the rest of them hide their center lines till they are worth money,,,,,

7. Thanks for sharing your story. I know this place has had an impact on lots of us. I am older than you, but joined just a little before you as well. The folks on here are definitely full of information and inspiration when it comes to traditional hot rods and kustoms.

And, congrats on what appears to be a great place! Now, sounds like you just need to finish settling in so you can get to work.

8. 38! Can't even remember where I was when I was 38:rolleyes:
    Nice shop and collections. Good to know that there are younger fellas coming behind us older guys to keep the spirit alive.

9. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Congratulations on your new place your live in the dream. Thanks for posting your story with everything going on these days it gives this old guy some hope.
    You live in a great part of the country enjoy it.
    The wife and I spent several weeks traveling around out that way a few months back we loved it.
    Trip was planned around checking out a old truck that I’m pleased to say it followed me home. Enjoy your life it’s short.

10. Hey Hitchhiker....you are the same age as my son...love to hear about younger guys getting into the sport....

MikeC

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Living the life!
    Cool shop and work
    Profession.
    Looks like you oughta move in the shop and use the house for projects.

Tony Martino, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  12. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Congrats dude!! Nice Place. You'll fill that garage up in no time!! :cool::eek:

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  13. Deuces

Deuces

Wow! Wish I had a spread like that.....:( We're packed like sardines here in Dearborn.....:(:rolleyes:

14. wicarnut

wicarnut

Congrats ! Enjoy !

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  15. As an 80 year old, I am happy to see that our hobby / sport is being carried on by the younger crowd. I too, was a parts chaser and buyer and seller for years. I even had an early Ford parts store in the early 1970's until the oil crunch came a long, and people's extra money seemed to dry up. The stuff is still out there, but mostly in the hands of dealers, or collectors. You seem to have a good handle on what is happening in your area. Good for you, it is now your time to carry the torch.

16. Packrat

Packrat

Wow, really nice shop! Good story too!

17. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know we didn't see all of your new shop but from what you posted I didn't see the most important shop accessory - a fridge with a the freezer to freeze flywheels to allow heated ring gears to slide on. Beer of course is optional.:cool: Great shop. Of course in a very short time you'll realize its too small.

18. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The fridge is in picture 7.
    Nice shop, have to get up there some time to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. scotts52

scotts52

Congratulations! You'll find soon enough that you don't have enough room. There's never enough room when you keep buying cars and parts either because you want them, or to save them from going to the scrapper.

Somehow I managed to avoid getting chewed up and spit out when I joined. My first question was asking if anyone has ever hotrodded a Chrysler woody convertible. No introduction or anything. Guess I got lucky. Back then I had 1 old car and a single car garage in the city. Now I live on 4 1/2 acres with a field of dreams behind my house, a barn full of parts and projects and more all over my yard. This year I vow to get organized and try to get everything outback so I can have my front yard back.
    Thanks for taking us along on your builds and adventures.

20. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Missed it with all the other cool stuff. All is right with the universe now.

21. goldmountain

goldmountain

Looks bigger on the inside than it does from outside.

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Congratulations on the new place, it looks wonderful, I can only imagine what it would be like to have that much space. Enjoy it!

Deuces, Tony Martino and loudbang like this.
  23. silent rick

silent rick

aww, prison ain't so bad.

you done good

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

25. -Brent-

-Brent-

Congrats on the new digs even though it came with a mother-in-law. I hope she's a hot rodder!:D

I love your blue Ford, such a cool truck.

It looks like 3200sq ft was easy to grow into!

26. I think the socks I have on were purchased in 1983....:p
    But seriously, I am glad some of you young guys are dedicated hot rodders. In 20 years you will be the old guys passing the torch to the younger generation. I just hope there are a bunch of them interested in hundred year old cars then.

27. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Hey Congrats Matt, great place!

Tony Martino, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  28. rusty valley

rusty valley

Nice place! Now you can really hoard shit until its full and you are overwhelmed with shit like me! Then, you get old, and its too much. But, you have some years to go before that . Congrats, enjoy life!

29. Congrats! Now how on earth did you find 5 acres in Seattle?!